Thai Driver Licence Problem

eladblum

I read all the topics about getting the Thai driver license and still the one matter I haven’t figured out is the proof of address thing.

I read that some had been rejected with the immigration letter and asked to bring an embassy one.

Some didn't even mention that they bring any of these.

I have a non-O multiple entry visa and currently make visa runs as I don't qualify for the extension, I don't have a letter from the immigration because I leave Thailand every 90 days. I live in my wife's parent’s house.

Can I get that kind of letter only by presenting marriage certificate and the wife's "tabien-baan"?

I read all the topics about getting the Thai driver license and still the one matter I haven't figured out is the proof of address thing.

I read that some had been rejected with the immigration letter and asked to bring an embassy one.

I have a non-O multiple entry visa and currently make visa runs as I don't qualify for the extension, I don't have a letter from the immigration because I leave Thailand every 90 days. I live in my wife's parent's house.

Can I get that kind of letter only by presenting marriage certificate and the wife's "tabien-baan"?

Yes you can,but its only three months valid so you get the residentpaper and right away you get after your drivingslicence,don't forget yor medical paper.

On the new Thai License your home address is on the back, perhaps you need some form of proof of address for the Licensing Office.

I used the letter from Thai Immigration but (Bangkok - Suan Plu) would only send it to me by post, which took 3 weeks!.

Others on this forum say the Licensing Offices in Bangkok require your consulates letter,who knows!

Out in the Provinces somethings are different!!!. Go along to your local office and find out, it took myself two visits to find out what they actually wanted but got there in the end.

I read all the topics about getting the Thai driver license and still the one matter I haven't figured out is the proof of address thing.

I have a non-O multiple entry visa and currently make visa runs as I don't qualify for the extension, I don't have a letter from the immigration because I leave Thailand every 90 days. I live in my wife's parent's house.

Well I don't know if this is of any help to you:

I just got my temporary driving licence for motor bike, today ( second time in Pattaya). I have a 3 month tourist visa, so the immigration gave me my residence certificate with that on in it, and therefore I couldn't get the 5 years licence as I have hoped for, and I even have my house book as proof of residence, but no, you will need minimum a non-O visa.

Furthermore my international driving licence for car/motor bike had expired (1 year only) so I had to do the whole test, which was quite easy compared to Denmark. I passed the theory (multi choice) in second attempt for both categories ( in the same process learned a good deal about Thai traffic signs, which is good for sure).

Today I drove my motor bike though the track (Honda Wave) and passed the test. Then the nice lady at the traffic department says: Mister motorcycle okay, now go and get your car and you drive the track in your car! :D . I said: Lady I don't have a car. She said okay you bring a car later on and do the test. So no car licence for me for now, but I have passed the theory and are not sure how long it is valid for, but okay haven't paid any money for it either. :D

I wonder if I can rent a car without valid licence? and go do the test in that :D OHH man this is Thailand, it is not boring for sure, he-he.

I also talked to a British guy out there and his medical certificate from Bangkok/Pattaya hospital was rejected so he had to go and get another one somewhere else.

All in all a funny experience, I mean you have to try to look at on the positive side and keep your cool, and not like a farang I saw getting angry and walk out of there red in his face, fuming/mumbling to himself, properly without any licence :o

Good luck with the licence

Thanks to everyone. That really helped.

Guess I'll go to my smiling amphor (อำเภอยิ้ม - ชาวบ้านร้องไห้) and get that letter.

The reason I didn't go and ask the requirements at the Licensing Office is that I was afraid that the lady over there will say something like get a letter from the embassy (like she know where is my embassy or what is an embassy anyway) and then will be more hard to convince her that a letter from smiling amphor is enough.

Thanks again to all of you.

:o

I said: Lady I don't have a car. She said okay you bring a car later on and do the test. So no car licence for me for now, but I have passed the theory and are not sure how long it is valid for, but okay haven't paid any money for it either. :o
In Phuket they have a (quite run-down) Pickup truck, which you can rent for the test, the price is just 100 Baht... Did you ask for a similar service?

Went today to my Amphor, as always they most to say no first, and that I must to go and bring something more (this time it was a copy of the binding of my passport :o ?!?!?!) so until I come back they will be at lunch brake.

Was told also to bring the "Pu-yai-baan" guy to sign for me that I live in this Tambon. The only man in the village that almost never home and need to bring him to sign on every paper you want to get from the Amphor offices. So unnecessary :D

Guess I'll have to wait till Monday.

Went to try my luck and get the license anyway. The guy at license office was pretty nice I guess, said that the order is to bring an embassy letter, but since we live far, a letter from Amphor will do.

Went today to my Amphor, as always they most to say no first, and that I must to go and bring something more (this time it was a copy of the binding of my passport :o ?!?!?!) so until I come back they will be at lunch brake.

Was told also to bring the "Pu-yai-baan" guy to sign for me that I live in this Tambon. The only man in the village that almost never home and need to bring him to sign on every paper you want to get from the Amphor offices. So unnecessary :D

Guess I'll have to wait till Monday.

Went to try my luck and get the license anyway. The guy at license office was pretty nice I guess, said that the order is to bring an embassy letter, but since we live far, a letter from Amphor will do.

On the new Thai License your home address is on the back, perhaps you need some form of proof of address for the Licensing Office.

I used the letter from Thai Immigration but (Bangkok - Suan Plu) would only send it to me by post, which took 3 weeks!.

Others on this forum say the Licensing Offices in Bangkok require your consulates letter,who knows!

Out in the Provinces somethings are different!!!. Go along to your local office and find out, it took myself two visits to find out what they actually wanted but got there in the end.

On my 5 years license I got last year in Bangkok there is no home address. Doesn't help the OP, but I used my work permit as proof of address.

TH

On my 5 years license I got last year in Bangkok there is no home address. Doesn't help the OP, but I used my work permit as proof of address.

TH

I showed up at Nong Bua Lam Phu with my yellow house book - they said, have to have proof you live here. I said, the Chairman of the Amphur says I live here - see? They said, not enough proof. They were being pleasant, and it wasn't a scam for tea money - they just weren't used to faranges having their own house book. A quick call to the supervisor straightened that out, on to the license.

Any government hospital should be able to sign their own form saying you're breathing and have a pulse - costs 30 baht.

Best of luck!

I went today and got the 1 year license... No problem there, A small color & reaction test and its done. They got my birth date wrong - not important, didn't had the power to correct them also.

Cost me 205 baht.

Case closed.