Why Have Work Permit

I am a director of my company and have a work permit.

I have decided i don't want to work anymore so am going to give up the permit. Is there any reason to keep it if i am not working.

For example, do i need a work permit to own my car in my name? when i bought it they asked for a copy of it.

My golf membership asked to see my permit when i joined.Does anyone have any other uses for a work permit?

Ta

A work permit will frequently be requested when someone you are dealing with (bank, insurance company, Department of Land Transport, etc.) is looking for proof of residential address. As ubonjoe points out, a Certificate of Residence from Immigration is normally accepted in place of a work permit, although you will occasionally come up against someone who insists they have to see a work permit (bank staff are the worst offenders in my experience).

OP, what kind of visa/extension of stay do you have?

If extension of stay based on employment you must leave the kingdom the same day. (can get 7 day extension)

In case of Non-B, you'll have problem get a new Non-B in SEA.

If extension of stay based on marriage/retirement, then no problem.

I've found having the work permit allows me to get the "thai price" at national parks.

Probably a better benefit is the look of relief I see in bureaucrats eyes, whether government or banks, when I can produce one. I believe that having one makes things a lot easier for regulations and record keeping for them.

Not to say you can't do a lot of these without a work permit, but I've gathered its a lot harder work for the paper pushers, and the easier you can make life for them, the easier they'll make life for you.

However owning that blue book means you have to pay income taxes, so depending on your salary level, it may pay to be rid of it.

JB

I am a director of my company and have a work permit.

I have decided i don't want to work anymore so am going to give up the permit. Is there any reason to keep it if i am not working.

For example, do i need a work permit to own my car in my name? when i bought it they asked for a copy of it.

My golf membership asked to see my permit when i joined.Does anyone have any other uses for a work permit?

Ta

You usually need a work permit when applying for credit, like credit cards, car loans, post paid mobile, etc

One of the major reasons to give it up is that i have to employ 4 staff, train one of them, pay myself 50,000B salary and then pay all the taxes on top.

Headache considering i am not wanting to work.

So you ar going to shutdown the business not just drop the work permit.

What will be your visa/extension of stay situation be after you do it?

If you are on an extesnion of stay you have to leave the country or get a 7 day extension on the day that you cancel your work permit.

No, not shutting the business or the company.....just don't want to work anymore.

The business runs itself without me, just need 2 staff. So it seems crazy for me to drain all the money (50k Baht) every month from the company.

I am tryin to work out if i really do need a work permit or not.......

No, not shutting the business or the company.....just don't want to work anymore.

The business runs itself without me, just need 2 staff. So it seems crazy for me to drain all the money (50k Baht) every month from the company.

I am tryin to work out if i really do need a work permit or not.......

You don't need to drain the 50,000 just pay the taxes on it!

You say you want to stop working. If as the director of your own company you never sign any company document, cheque, etc when you are in Thailand, you do not need a work permit.

You are looking at the cost side of your work permit and I assume that you are comparing the costs related to the work permit with the costs of getting visas and doing border runs when you no longer have an annual extension for employment.

--

Maestro

You say you want to stop working. If as the director of your own company you never sign any company document, cheque, etc when you are in Thailand, you do not need a work permit.

You are looking at the cost side of your work permit and I assume that you are comparing the costs related to the work permit with the costs of getting visas and doing border runs when you no longer have an annual extension for employment.

--

Maestro

correct.. i don't mind paying for via runs etc as it is an excuse to have a holiday and check out some places. But to waste the same money on tax etc is just crazy.....right?

I am the only person that can sign within the company ...but its all cash anyway...so <deleted>....

I believe the work permit fee (government fee) is currently 3,100 Baht for one year. The accountant you probably need anyway for your company, but he/she may charge extra to do the paperwork for the work permit renewal and go to the employment department for it. Don’t know if any entertainment expense is also incurred for it in Phuket.

Taxes can be a pain, more so if you don’t need the work and income from employment. I can also understand your sentiment that after living in Thailand for over ten years it is refreshing to do a trip abroad a few times a year.

--

Maestro