Samba Deer Again !

bina

still need info on the sambar deer if anyone can help; have to hand in project in week and a half; there's a farm in Kanchanaburi Province that raises (raised) them for farming (pharmeceuticals) their antlers but email doesnt work

phone #:

Farm Sambadeer

21/1 Moo 2, Ta Lor, Ta Muang

Kanchanaburi, Thailand

Phone 034-513-433, 223-4016

01-811-9673

and there's a petting zoo at some resort (maybe doesnt exist anymore) in lopburi : has petting zoo, horse riding, paintball etc.... anybody know them? know their email?? just need husbandry info on the deer for a theoretical zoo exhibit project (a non cage area that fits their natural habitat closely but with all the amenities that allow us the caretakers to do vet work, obsrevation, etc) , not going to open a business....

since everyone is so good at finding info here at thaivisa, nows the time to become animal detectives....

come on, a project for those of you that have been posting daily about rain .....maybe plachon or random chance or some wildlife preservation poeple can help me out here???

sambar deer, a very large, beautiful native thai deer, raised now in new zealand for sport hunting purposes; they have (had) in a zoo in thailand (songhkla) but their email also doesnt work .....

why didnt i think of the latin name???? :o

but am curious about the two aforementioned places; because i would like to design my "exhibit" with a distinct southeast asian setting..... if its no bother to find out??? if not, then dont worry, i found something actually in thai and will have to ask someone to read it to me...

btw, thinking of buying a buffalo calf and castrating; sompong is enthusiastic, i'm a bit nervous....he promises he can train it in two years....

any husbandry info for a thai (actually from italy) buffalo?? how do people do vetting?? personality of a castrated male?? problems i have to know about ?? there is a farm here of buffalos for milk; we visited three times but still....... you are a cow person; the guy offered me a jersey bullock (castrated calf), they are beautiful animals but water buffalos are much more attractive to people.... do you use a squeeze (crush) for vetting?? how do thai farmers do their buffalos.... i cant build a cattle crush here so need an other way to do the yearly jabs......how much does a non working male need per day (straw, wheat or oat hay, veggies)? i've checked on the net but we aren't built the same as a full scale farm so have to do what the thai country people do which is improvisations....

any husbandry info for a thai (actually from italy) buffalo?? how do people do vetting?? personality of a castrated male?? problems i have to know about ?? there is a farm here of buffalos for milk; we visited three times but still....... you are a cow person; the guy offered me a jersey bullock (castrated calf), they are beautiful animals but water buffalos are much more attractive to people.... do you use a squeeze (crush) for vetting?? how do thai farmers do their buffalos.... i cant build a cattle crush here so need an other way to do the yearly jabs......how much does a non working male need per day (straw, wheat or oat hay, veggies)? i've checked on the net but we aren't built the same as a full scale farm so have to do what the thai country people do which is improvisations....

Not many buffalo's around my area, but I've never seen a "crush" here, which does make giving the injections rather interesting!!, have you got any nose grips, good for securing the head then hobble the back hoofs, get someone to grab the tail and then try to inject, preferably over a wall or fence. We usually do ours when they are locked in for milking (just the heads). I do all the intramuscular ones but just cant seem to get the hang of the subcututus ones, so get the vet out for those. I've got some good links about feed requirments I found mixed in with cow stuff, its late now so I'll have a look tomorrow.

Cheers RC