Help To Quit Smoking?

marriyasmith

I`m almost 57 now and been smoking since the age of 12.

I managed to give it up for 3 years than started the weed again last year.

The wanting for a cigarette never left me for the whole 3 years.

Once an addict it`s in the system forever.

People that have never smoked could never understand what it`s like to constantly have a craving for this crap.

It should be officially recognised that smoking is an illness not just an anti social habit.

Perhaps we should create a new organisation the (SA) Smokers Anonymous.

Certainly is a serious problem.

How do you encourage a person to quit smoking that has been smoking since the age of 16?

I started smoking at 17, stopped at 32, started again at 40 and stopped 7 months ago. Everyone is different, but what worked for me:

1) It takes several attempts to stop, but never give up

2) Stop when you are in a good mood

3) Stop when you have a cold or bad cough following a cold

4) Cold turkey worked best for me - nicotine substitutes just prolonged the pain

5) Bear in mind that nicotine withdrawal is not that bad, peaking at 2 days and subsiding after 4 days. The psycholgical habit of reaching out for a cigarette in all the usual situations is harder to break

6) Once you stop, always remember that just one puff on one cigarette or anything containing nicotine will start you again. After 8 years off them, that's all it took to start me on a slippery slope that ended up with a cigarette in the morning

7) I love smoking, but I know that it will kill me. If I started now, I don't think I would ever be able to stop again

Good luck. Your life will be better without tobacco, and after a while you will forget about it, bar the odd pang that is easily controlled.

Edited by dbrenn

we have a "Quit Smoking" subforum on thaivisa.

there are various threads in there with tips, motivation, practical advice.

have a look around and read the various threads.

Im moving this thread there as well.

all the best with your effort. This may sound cliche, but as they say....awareness is already one third of the way to achieving your goal :o

Visit someone in hospital with terminal lung cancer,or look on the internet to check out what lungs look like with prolonged smoking.Dont be selfish and think of others next to you when you are puffing away,and remember that you are making them smell terrible too.Go to a bar and stand next to someone who has been smoking and smell them,its horrible.Look at smokers teeth compared with non smokers.

I packed up when i retired to Thaialnd when ciggies were about 30 baht,and the reason why???

my life is so good i dont want to die in agony at a young age.

People that have never smoked could never understand what it`s like to constantly have a craving for this crap.

It should be officially recognised that smoking is an illness not just an anti social habit.

:D Sorry but have never heard so much self pitying Bo&&*ks!

I smoked for around 30 years. I smoked 2 - 3 packs a day. I can honestly say I enjoyed smoking. I have been stopped now 8 years. I know I will never have another cigarette in my life. To say its in the system forever is not true. To stop smoking you only have to want to stop smoking. Its as simple as that. Its not an illness its a habit and thats all. I have listened to all the EXCUSES you can think of as to why people started again. They started again because they wanted to and no other reason. Trying to get somebody to stop who is not fully committed to stopping is a waste of time. Stopping was the best thing I ever did. I should have done it years ago but I DIDN'T WANT TO.

Good luck but just make sure its what you want to do! :o

:D Sorry but have never heard so much self pitying Bo&&*ks!

I smoked for around 30 years. I smoked 2 - 3 packs a day. I can honestly say I enjoyed smoking. I have been stopped now 8 years. I know I will never have another cigarette in my life. To say its in the system forever is not true. To stop smoking you only have to want to stop smoking. Its as simple as that. Its not an illness its a habit and thats all. I have listened to all the EXCUSES you can think of as to why people started again. They started again because they wanted to and no other reason. Trying to get somebody to stop who is not fully committed to stopping is a waste of time. Stopping was the best thing I ever did. I should have done it years ago but I DIDN'T WANT TO.

Good luck but just make sure its what you want to do! :o

post-11344-1235905915_thumb.png

I found stopping hard enough and, three years later, I still feel like a cigarette at times (especially when having a cold one). First time I stopped, i lasted 7 years; moved to Dubai and got hooked on the Shisha pipes :o

Agree with a couple of other posters: cold turkey worked for me, and I stopped during a holiday as I would have found it neigh impossible at work.