Pgce

Billfo

Hi,

I've been teaching English in Thailand for the best part of two years now at a government school in Chiang Mai. I am considering returning home to obtain a PGCE qualification in the hope of returning to Thailand and being able to get a teaching job at an international school. I have a degree in Multimedia Technology (computing) and a TEFL already.

Does anyone know if a PGCE would be enough to get a job at an international school?

Thanks

Absolutely.

I teach in an international school with similar quals.

Top school, top job, Love it.

Regards

I've heard these schools give top pay to teachers with good degrees.

I have a Graduate Certificate in TESL (half the master's program) and a BA in Comparative Literature with a Chemistry minor.

I have never had a full-time teaching job. I spent most of my career in the US Postal Service with some shorter positions in business management and the military.

Would I qualify for a top job at a top school?

Where would I find one?

Thanks

Edited by jkolak

Absolutely.

I teach in an international school with similar quals.

Top school, top job, Love it.

Regards

I've heard these schools give top pay to teachers with good degrees.

I have a Graduate Certificate in TESL (half the master's program) and a BA in Comparative Literature with a Chemistry minor.

I have never had a full-time teaching job. I spent most of my career in the US Postal Service with some shorter positions in business management and the military.

Would I qualify for a top job at a top school?

Where would I find one?

Thanks

So am I right in saying you have a TEFL and a BA in Eng Lit?

That would be a start, but a PGCE is the norm when it comes to international schools.

You could be lucky but without experience in teaching before coming here it would be harder for you to land a top job paying more than 70k per month.

American nationals are fine by me but many schools prefer UK nationals.

Go for it I say.

All the best.

Regards

NormanW

Most of the true-blue internationals won't touch you with a 10-foot tutor pole if you haven't earned a teacher's license from back home, though there are some exceptions made in emergencies or with difficult-to-cover subjects. Furthermore, most local hires aren't given the same cushy terms or treated the same as other staff, and will probably be quick to let you go, too. I recommend you look for higher positions among the Thai schools rather than the more limited lower positions in the 'true-blues.'

Most of the true-blue internationals won't touch you with a 10-foot tutor pole if you haven't earned a teacher's license from back home, though there are some exceptions made in emergencies or with difficult-to-cover subjects. Furthermore, most local hires aren't given the same cushy terms or treated the same as other staff, and will probably be quick to let you go, too. I recommend you look for higher positions among the Thai schools rather than the more limited lower positions in the 'true-blues.'

Thats right, but at least they save on air fares with local hires. hehe.