Getting Into Training

Spee

For what it's worth ....

Got my first intro to the Thai train system during my recent trip. Some experiences from taking the Sprinter and Rapid to/from Taphan Hin, Bkk and Ayutthaya.

I found that the time-tables available on the internet were not consistent with the time-tables at the local stops. Ended up having to wait a bit longer than I wanted to no biggie. Had some pleasant conversation with a local Thai while waiting.

Sprinter:

Picked it up at Don Muang. Only a few minutes late. Appx 375ThB from Bkk to Taphan Hin. Very reasonable price IMHO. Departed a bit late, but got there almost on time. Simple but good food & bev service while on board, with food included in the price. Comfortable air-conditioned assigned seats. Pretty decent. No fuss, no muss. Only real bad part was seeing the odd cockroach venturing about on the walls.

Rapid:

Picked it up at Taphan Hin, headed for Ayutthaya. Would have preferred the Sprinter, but there wasn't one stopping in Ayutthaya when I was ready to go. Departed almost 30 minutes late and arrived almost an hour late. Appx 175ThB from Taphan Hin to Ayutthaya. Very reasonable price, but have to make some sacrifices for the price. No air conditionining (not that it was a big deal with the cool temperatures, but I don't think I could take it in the hot season). Really bouncy, spring suspension seats, though not at all uncomfortable. Windows down for air circulation made it a bit unpleasant at times with the diesel engines and all of the fires burning in the rice fields. No way to go hungry or thirsty on this train. Every few minutes it seemed like someone was walking through to sell drinks and food at very cheap prices. Not bad as a last resort, but wouldn't be my first choice.

For what it's worth ....

Got my first intro to the Thai train system during my recent trip. Some experiences from taking the Sprinter and Rapid to/from Taphan Hin, Bkk and Ayutthaya.

I found that the time-tables available on the internet were not consistent with the time-tables at the local stops. Ended up having to wait a bit longer than I wanted to no biggie. Had some pleasant conversation with a local Thai while waiting.

Sprinter:

Picked it up at Don Muang. Only a few minutes late. Appx 375ThB from Bkk to Taphan Hin. Very reasonable price IMHO. Departed a bit late, but got there almost on time. Simple but good food & bev service while on board, with food included in the price. Comfortable air-conditioned assigned seats. Pretty decent. No fuss, no muss. Only real bad part was seeing the odd cockroach venturing about on the walls.

Rapid:

Picked it up at Taphan Hin, headed for Ayutthaya. Would have preferred the Sprinter, but there wasn't one stopping in Ayutthaya when I was ready to go. Departed almost 30 minutes late and arrived almost an hour late. Appx 175ThB from Taphan Hin to Ayutthaya. Very reasonable price, but have to make some sacrifices for the price. No air conditionining (not that it was a big deal with the cool temperatures, but I don't think I could take it in the hot season). Really bouncy, spring suspension seats, though not at all uncomfortable. Windows down for air circulation made it a bit unpleasant at times with the diesel engines and all of the fires burning in the rice fields. No way to go hungry or thirsty on this train. Every few minutes it seemed like someone was walking through to sell drinks and food at very cheap prices. Not bad as a last resort, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Compared with some UK train trips - sounds like paradise :o

I took the Sprinter from Chiangmai to Bangkok last October and was quite disappointed; especially since I've always touted the Thai train system to be pretty good.

The coach was in poor condition. The seat I was in vibrated horribly and the tray table sloped down about 30 degrees, making it tough to eat. The poor old man sitting next to me ended up with a lap full of ice cold Pepsi about 30 minutes in to the 12 hour journey.

I found the coach to be pretty cramped, as well.

I love trains and will travel that way again. But, the GF and her 10 year-old-daughter said "never again". "Next time Khun Mike wants to take the train, we'll just fly...."

Taking a 2nd class sleeper (air-con) on the Bkk-Chiang Mai route is a good journey. Some trains are better than others but it's a great experience even when on fan-only carriages. Done the 1st class as well but that's boring because no-one to talk to apart from the missus, love her!

With the advent of the budget airline in los though, it hardly seems worth the meagre amount of baht saved when comparing travel times on long journeys. If doing a short journey, I'd pick the train over a bus any day.