Best Beds?

Ajarn

Time for a new bed. When sleeping on my current bed, the metal frame of the springs can be easily felt now, and I'm waking up with bones that hurt after sleeping on the metal....

So, tomorrow is bed-shopping day. I want a high-quality bed that's soft, but not too soft (picture Goldilocks choices). Anyone have a Dunlopillo bed? Do they have a sales outlet for Dunlopillo beds in Chiang Mai?

What about stores with a good selection? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Time for a new bed. When sleeping on my current bed, the metal frame of the springs can be easily felt now, and I'm waking up with bones that hurt after sleeping on the metal....

So, tomorrow is bed-shopping day. I want a high-quality bed that's soft, but not too soft (picture Goldilocks choices). Anyone have a Dunlopillo bed? Do they have a sales outlet for Dunlopillo beds in Chiang Mai?

What about stores with a good selection? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Home Pro has a decent selection.

Anybody know if you can get a TempurPedic in Thailand? I WANT one of those.

Sealy and Serta seem to be widely available. I don't know if any stores give much discount, however I bought at Central Department Store and got a whole load of "premiums" without a price reduction, other than the 5% falang discount card.. Pillows, sheets, bolsters, etc. were just piled up to convince me to buy.

I will go Sealy next time, my Serta doesn't seem to be as high a quality as I would like. The size you choose is important, as Queen size sheets are not as readily available as King. Likewise the Sealy and Serta mattresses these days come with "pillow tops" which increase comfort. but likewise increase the depth of the pocket, if you use fitted bottom sheets.

Be sure and measure the depth of your top mattress and shop for sheets before closing the deal. Likewise the height of the bed affects beside tables.

There are so many "models" within each brand that you really are in "no man's land". The ability to determine coil count, coil strength and the other "secrets" of the inside are problematic. The old adage "beware of anything covered by fabric" applies.

As a comparison, I went shopping for a new mattress in Honolulu three years ago and ended up paying 2500USD for a "good" quality mattress. My Sealy here, six months later, at Central cost me about 35kBaht, now they are 44k and the baht was weaker three years ago. I doubt if a true "quality" mattress is available, unless imported. I saw Dunpillo mattresses available, at most stores, as well, but wasn't impressed with their quality. Good luck.

Tempurpedic mattress (Swedish foam) is absolutely the only way to go. I brought mine over in a suitcase, weighed a ton but more than worth it. I probably have sold over 100 of these in the last 10 years and everyone who buys one becomes a evangelist. If anyone finds a dealer in Bangkok for these I would love to hear. I notice mattresses wear out quicker in Bangkok....

If not, I might start a retail shop, these things sell themselves. :o:D

Currently Tempurpedic™ has it’s (Tempur ) Memory Foam manufactured by Dan Foam A/S a subsidiary of Fagerdala World Foams, which manufactures it’s foam in Sweden, Germany, Finland, Switzerland, Denmark, Brazil, Norway, Singapore, Benelux, Thailand, China, United Kingdom, France and the United States.

For Thailand...

http://www.tempur.com/page1533.asp

Edited by Ajarn

If you don't want to spend a fortune on a mattress buy a topper to go with it. Bought one last week from Home Pro to go on our the fairly hard mattress. It was 11,000 reduced to 5,800. About 3 inches deep and really comfy.

Jack, any sigificant difference between a 3 inch (foam?) pad for 5,800, and a 3 inch foam pad at an upholstry shop for 500 baht, besides the price?

BTW, I just learned the Tempurpedic mattress is 60,000+ baht in Bangkok... :o

Edited by Ajarn

Jack, any sigificant difference between a 3 inch (foam?) pad for 5,800, and a 3 inch foam pad at an upholstry shop for 500 baht, besides the price?

There probably is a difference,but TIT, so who knows? :D It all depends on what the foam is made of.Spounge rubber or synthetic foam etc. The furniture manufactures buy different grades and different types.I have been told that the really soft synthetic foam will only last for a year...,but again who knows?

In my experience the Thais prefer a much "harder" feel than the average farang.

I'm sure that the upholstry shop can source many different types. :D

BTW, I just learned the Tempurpedic mattress is 60,000+ baht in Bangkok... :D

There probably is a difference,but TIT, so who knows? :D It all depends on what the foam is made of.Spounge rubber or synthetic foam etc. The furniture manufactures buy different grades and different types.I have been told that the really soft synthetic foam will only last for a year...,but again who knows?

In my experience the Thais prefer a much "harder" feel than the average farang.

I'm sure that the upholstry shop can source many different types. :D

Yes, it's that TIT Effect that can put a double-whammy on the Common Sense Approach. :o:D

I'm pretty familiar with the various upholstry foams and prices around here, having bought various types for home projects. But, I've never seen these spendy bed linings, and I don't know if anything is clearly superior just by looking at it...

###### amazing how expensive foam beds are. I woulda thought they'd be the cheapest... :D:D

Edited by Ajarn

It's a bit more glorious than a foam pad, Ajarn, but I see what you're getting at. It's purposely made to fit the right mattress and zips onto it as well as a couple of adjustable straps, obviously to keep it firmly in place when you're both at it. Got separated from it's original mattress which was why we got it at that price I think. Beautiful finish to it and looks better than our mattress which ain't too bad itself. It's full title is the 'Backmaster Gold Plush topper' made by Lady Americana - 5-year guarantee. Was looking for one for weeks but because they all come with the mattress or were too expensive, we didn't bother.

Have a look in the bed section of Home Pro, they may have another! Or I suppose you could be a cheapskate and try that upholstery store. :D

Dunlopillo is a standard brand available at various stores around Chiang Mai (such as on the superhighway). Are you ready for a bed with a built-in large mattress and no innerspring or foundation?

I like a fairly firm mattress and never had the dosh (previously) to pay lots of money. When I went the SV factory store south of Lamphun, they gave me a mattress of medium quality (quite firm, about 8 or 9 inches high) along with a boatload of pressed wood furniture, for less than 9000 baht. I got a twin bed, wardrobe with mirror, end table, computer table. I'm sure you can get an even better, larger bed and mattress there, delivered for free, under 11,000. If you're rich, they can always charge you 60,000.

SV has a great selection of sizes, styles, qualities, etc. - biggest showroom I've seen since I left Galaxy Furniture in Houston, Texas.

PM me if you like, and I'll give you my mobile # and directions to SV.

It's a bit more glorious than a foam pad, Ajarn, but I see what you're getting at. It's purposely made to fit the right mattress and zips onto it as well as a couple of adjustable straps,

You have to distinguish between a topper pad and a full foam mattress. 60KBaht for a full mattress, depending on the size, would be a pretty good price. I have a king size Tempurpedic (full matress and supports) and it cost me over $2000. But at any rate, I'm glad to hear they are available in country because I wouldn't want to go back to anything else after using one.

It's a bit more glorious than a foam pad, Ajarn, but I see what you're getting at. It's purposely made to fit the right mattress and zips onto it as well as a couple of adjustable straps,

You have to distinguish between a topper pad and a full foam mattress. 60KBaht for a full mattress, depending on the size, would be a pretty good price. I have a king size Tempurpedic (full matress and supports) and it cost me over $2000. But at any rate, I'm glad to hear they are available in country because I wouldn't want to go back to anything else after using one.

Know what you mean, dclaryjr. When you're spending a third of your life on a bed, it's got to be comfortable, right? I find the combination of firm mattress and foam topper to be spot on.

• 1 month later...

Awesome!! Visual aids

i feel a better sleep already

Krap Khun Kap :o

Thanks so much for all the info. A real good education  :D

Yesterday I went out and bought a KingSize Dunlopillo for 8,000 baht.

This morning, I woke up from one of the best sleeps in recent memory.  :D

Where did you get it for 8000?

Right here, sir

koncept.jpg

Still a great sleep...No more backaches, duay! :D