How Do You Treat The Help ?

JimmyTheMook

This is inspired by a recent topic posted about the quality of workers.

I have found that treating your workers here with common decency is taken as a sign of weakness by them.

Thai's tend to rule them with an iron fist and it is what seems to work best here.

Being nice and treating them like equals fails miserably.

I have found that treating your workers here with common decency is taken as a sign of weakness by them.

Thai's tend to rule them with an iron fist and it is what seems to work best here.

I disagree.

Being nice to your maid does not mean treating them as your equal.

Before employing them, you set out your ground rules. What you expect, what you do not like.

Pay them a decent wage, and treat them as humans, not as your lap dog.

My maid is great, been with me almost 2 years, and she is happy with us.

I do know that a lot of Thais do rule their maids with an iron fist, shouting at them, paying them measly salaries, and treating them like sh!t.

I believe I get the best out of my maid by sitting her down, if I am dissatisfied, and clearly explaining what I expect. Never had a problem. :o

I disagree as well. We treat our staff fairly, pay them a decent wage, commission and buy them lunch if they are too busy to go out and get something. In return they work very hard for us and earn every baht that we pay them. We sit down with any new staff and explain what we expect from them and anybody that doesn't deliver gets a couple of warnings and then the sack. The only problem we have had with workers so far is finding enough of them.

I disagree as well. We treat our staff fairly, pay them a decent wage, commission and buy them lunch if they are too busy to go out and get something. In return they work very hard for us and earn every baht that we pay them. We sit down with any new staff and explain what we expect from them and anybody that doesn't deliver gets a couple of warnings and then the sack. The only problem we have had with workers so far is finding enough of them.

"and how many Thai bosses pay them a decent wage, commission, (??) and buy them lunch? I'm with the OP here. Generosity is seen as a sign of weakness. Much as I don't like it, and I've tried your way, a stern face and barked orders, works better.

Regards

I think it depends on the employee. We have two staff that we treat fairly, generously and like human beings. One has worked for us for 6 years and the other for 4. Neither wishes to find a job elsewhere because we treat them fairly, generously and like human beings.

And this is on an island and in a business where its very hard to hold onto good staff longer than a few years.

We have had staff walk over us in the past as well, but, as Gippy said, they are given a chance, if it doesn't work out, they lose their jobs.

i have noticed the same thing. people on this site call me an elitist but i am not overly impressed with the average human being let alone the average human being from the lowest financial echelons of society. i was walking on lower Sukhumwit to go to sunrise tacos the other day and i really don't know how or why you guys do what you do here in regards to the company you keep.

I try to treat them as an employee...pay them what is agreed on (and that should be the going rate). Give them adequate breaks, allow for family problems and situations that come up and expect them to do their job. Works relatively well. A few still take advantage and have to be released, but most respond reasonably well.

A good friend and his wife hired a maid and decided to pay quite well--they seemed to think that by paying her more they would get better service, etc.. The opposite happened, she got very demanding and even brought someone to interpret her demands--which included even higher wages (she was the highest paid in the condo), more time off etc. They ended up firing her. She eventually returned, begging for her job, they subsequently lowered her salary and did away with some of their niceties. Things worked out well after that. She was one who definitely couldn't differentiate between kindness and weakness.

I try to treat them as an employee...pay them what is agreed on (and that should be the going rate). Give them adequate breaks, allow for family problems and situations that come up and expect them to do their job. Works relatively well. A few still take advantage and have to be released, but most respond reasonably well.

A good friend and his wife hired a maid and decided to pay quite well--they seemed to think that by paying her more they would get better service, etc.. The opposite happened, she got very demanding and even brought someone to interpret her demands--which included even higher wages (she was the highest paid in the condo), more time off etc. They ended up firing her. She eventually returned, begging for her job, they subsequently lowered her salary and did away with some of their niceties. Things worked out well after that. She was one who definitely couldn't differentiate between kindness and weakness.

They are simply stupid re-hiring her. Its a mistake.

Regretfully whatever you do with workers in a developing country makes little difference in the long term. At some stage they will find a way to take advantage of you and rip you off. This from employing staff and running commercial operations in every country in South East Asia, the middle East and Asia.

Got to agree with Jack there.

Slightly off topic.....all of the Burmese workers we've employed have been brilliant. Start when the sun comes up (big shock to our cows on day one....evicted at 5.30 :D:o ) finish at sunset. 'and grinning the whole day. They all came from an enclave in Bangkok....none lasted more than 6 months....missed Bangkok and friends. Some have been back 3 times. Always leave with notice and on friendly terms. I would always take them back. Can't integrate locally though. Shame, because they are an asset to any community. I understand others have had not such good experiences with Burmese folk. Lucky me.

Regards

Me personally, I try to treat people the same way, i'm nice, reasonable and polite. But I noticed when I was out with my thai friend, she didn't really treat waitresses, cashiers, or really anyone that was providing her with a service with much respect. As if they were below her, this could just be this particular lady, so by no means am I saying everyone is like this. When I would say thank you after paying for goods etc. etc. it sort of bemused her as to why I was doing this.

Anyone with similar experiences?

edit: I realise this has nothing to do with hired help, as I am not so privileged to have had any haha, but they are workers nonetheless.

Edited by scottyd

Me personally, I try to treat people the same way, i'm nice, reasonable and polite. But I noticed when I was out with my thai friend, she didn't really treat waitresses, cashiers, or really anyone that was providing her with a service with much respect. As if they were below her, this could just be this particular lady, so by no means am I saying everyone is like this. When I would say thank you after paying for goods etc. etc. it sort of bemused her as to why I was doing this.

Anyone with similar experiences?

edit: I realise this has nothing to do with hired help, as I am not so privileged to have had any haha, but they are workers nonetheless.

hey, guy from Scotland, don't take that too serious. HERE, it is not important at all. Let it be, as she let things be you do...

what matters is how she i treating scottyd.

The girl is not my girlfriend, and i'm not Scottish haha. But it sounds like you know what I mean, so atleast I know i'm not the only one who has noticed this!

perfect answer, scotty, with wrong conclusion.

Things you don't understand and don't concern directly you and your life never try to understand. Just let it be and you will know the answer later...

I'm a really shocked by some answers and denigrating comments about household staff.

Why in heavens name the household staff you hire should not be treated with respect and dignity.

If some of your staff have an attitude problem you can always tell them in a polite way that their services is no longer needed. END OF STORY.

And yes its correct that many people don't show any respect to people who work in the service industry let it be a waiter, salesperson, household staff or what ever.

But that's their problem, there is no need what so ever to follow them

My wife and I treat everybody with respect, in our opinion a garbage collector is equal to an CEO of a billion $ company.

We had household help many times, she eat together with us and is always as a member of our family, because its the only decent to do.

That's also why my wife and I NEVER use the word MAID.

All my Thai family have living in help. They get salary above average, full medical care and a yearly medical check up. Younger children call them Phi or Pha. And all of them stay with them for many years, some even till old age.

We are in the 21th century,should behave like that also.

Absolutely not - our domestic/in-house maid has been with us since 1987 - and is considered a "family member". She brought both up my kids - probably spent more time with them than we did!

I do accept is that there are culturale differances that play a role in superior/subordinate realtionships, but not in the sense that I think you imply in your posting: Thailand has a well established history of the masses not been scared to challenge authority when they feel berieved/unfairly or badly treated, and responding with an iron fist is likely to drawn from them a similar response.

Being nice and treating them like equals fails miserably(?) - another Western myth that like many other comments about Thai's is in my opinion more a reflection of our perception of Thai's than it is of reality.

Thai's are human - their ideas about relationships, and how to treat others are little different to those we have in the West.

... anyway, thats my take on the subject.

Treat a human worker like YOU would like to be treated if you were in their position. Its so easy for someone to "think " they are so above some one else just because you have more money than them..sad really.

Thais do this all the time with thehelp, service industry etc etc. I cant stand it, I seen a poor gilr at a expensive hotel serve drinks to "rich thais" (they are sitting in a low table at the lobby) , the poor gilr has to kneel down and walk in her knees to serve them drinks, she was so scared to even interrupt them, and when she didm they looked annoyed at her for doing so...not a thank you, no nothing. I almost got up and walked over there and told them to have a bit more manners since they 'thought they were the elite " of Thailand...ugh, discusting, most Rich thais have no class at all.

Two days ago the garbage truck came through my street as i am leaving my house, the guy pick up my bin and a box fell out, i picked it up for him and threw in the truck for him, he was so amazed...its normal for us westerners to do that i think. Why cant Thais do the same for their own people.

I am not saying all Thais are like this, but most are.

Edit: spelling...in a rush.

Edited by NewLifeNY

My wife and i took our gardener and his wife to dinner at a medium priced restaurant,and they were scared to order anything more then rice/noodles because they had never spent so much money on a meal in their life!I ordered for them,plus drinks(They only requested water) and they have never eaten so well.I do this for all employees birthdays and Christmas,and we all have the best relationships. :o

I treat them like they have a GREAT job as well as a GREAT wage in a very small pissant developing third world country.

I expect them to work their asses off for me for that reason alone.

I tell them they can always go back to "Nakhon Nowhere" and pull rice if that's what they want to do.

Never had one person quit yet, and had several refer their friends for work.

Go figure, amazing thailand..

Treat a human worker like YOU would like to be treated if you were in their position. Its so easy for someone to "think " they are so above some one else just because you have more money than them..sad really.

Thais do this all the time with thehelp, service industry etc etc. I cant stand it, I seen a poor gilr at a expensive hotel serve drinks to "rich thais" (they are sitting in a low table at the lobby) , the poor gilr has to kneel down and walk in her knees to serve them drinks, she was so scared to even interrupt them, and when she didm they looked annoyed at her for doing so...not a thank you, no nothing. I almost got up and walked over there and told them to have a bit more manners since they 'thought they were the elite " of Thailand...ugh, discusting, most Rich thais have no class at all.

Two days ago the garbage truck came through my street as i am leaving my house, the guy pick up my bin and a box fell out, i picked it up for him and threw in the truck for him, he was so amazed...its normal for us westerners to do that i think. Why cant Thais do the same for their own people.

I am not saying all Thais are like this, but most are.

Edit: spelling...in a rush.

I feel the same disgust about the way Thai people and self righteous arrogant expat treat the employees in the service industry.

This is inspired by a recent topic posted about the quality of workers. I have found that treating your workers here with common decency is taken as a sign of weakness by them. Thai's tend to rule them with an iron fist and it is what seems to work best here.

you seem to appreciate some piss in your coffee and spittle (or worse) in your food. bon appétit, enjoy!

I treat them like they have a GREAT job as well as a GREAT wage in a very small pissant developing third world country.

I expect them to work their asses off for me for that reason alone.

I tell them they can always go back to "Nakhon Nowhere" and pull rice if that's what they want to do.

Never had one person quit yet, and had several refer their friends for work.

Go figure, amazing thailand..

reading your rubbish explains why Farangs are considered shit by many Thais. not that i believe a word you say. people with big mouths like you don't have the money to employ anybody except perhaps a "lady" for a few hours.