Replacement Tyres For Toyota Vigo Pick-up

simon43

My 2-wheel drive pick-up has done about 30,000 km and it's time to replace the tyres.

I mostly use the car on tarmaced roads, but also occasionally have to drive off-road on dirt tracks and sandy tracks, (although not excessively bad tracks).

What is a good compromise make/model of tyre to buy for both on-road and 'light' off-road' use?

Thanks

Simon

I have Michelin A/T all (all terrain) tyres on my Prerunner..

Those are the same as on the 4*4 and the fortuner.

I found that the H/T (Hard terrain) tyres didnt have much grip going up steep hills like you find on Koh Chang.

Thats why i changed to A/T.

Makes a big difference. They do make a bit more noise but not that much more.

30,000kms and your tyres are done?

My 2wd vigo is 20 months old 40,000kms and would say the tres are good for another 10-15,000 kms still about 4mm of tread. Last night in Pattaya the truck stayed on the black stuff as good as new on the flooded roads.

My 2-wheel drive pick-up has done about 30,000 km and it's time to replace the tyres.

I mostly use the car on tarmaced roads, but also occasionally have to drive off-road on dirt tracks and sandy tracks, (although not excessively bad tracks).

What is a good compromise make/model of tyre to buy for both on-road and 'light' off-road' use?

Thanks

Simon

Apologies right now if anyone thinks I'm hi-jacking the thread. But I DO need simple advice from people who know about tyres.

I am restoring a 50's American pick up truck. The 4 wheels now attached are 16in diameter and no problem. The spare wheel (brand new condition!) is 16.5in diameter. I have been told that tyres of this size have NEVER been iomported into Thailand.

All I need is one in fair, legal condition. Ideally a smooth-ish pattern, not a 4x4 'chunky'. Can anyone help directly or advise, please?

well what is 16.5in in tyre width size? and what profile height are you looking for?

in regards to type of tiers:

BF goodrich A/T -very popular

Toyo HT Open Country

Perilli Scorpion

Dunlop AT3

those are what i would say are the top 4 tyres in the market for pickups with std rims, going for onroad and offroad.

Well actually, the tread is not that worn down! But I had severe lack of road adhesion in the rain. Also, the tyres squeal like crazy when i brake or turn a corner, even at slow speeds. The tyre pressure is ok...

So I am rather confused as to why my road-holding is so bad when there is still a lot of tread on the tyres.

Simon

Edited by simon43

Simon. How old are the tires (there should be a build date on the tyre side wall), do you park it under cover. the reason i ask is that tyres go off with direct sunlight. get hard etc. and this is what you might be finding. also the tyres sold here in Thailand tend to be a very hard compound, for good wear. it kinda proves that when a Fortuner can get over 90,000 km's on a set, which is 56,000 miles. i for one can't remember getting that sort of mileage out of a set of tyres in the UK.

And anyway tyres are a personal choice if you feel that you need to change your tyres then do it.

Allan

Well, I feel a need to change the tyres because I like living!! When it rained yesterday I was unable to stop and almost hit a car in front. The wheels didn't lock up and I was pumping the brakes anyway - but the dam_n car just kept going as the tyres slid on the road - at maybe 50km/h - not fast.

I think maybe you are right re the hard tyres. The car is parked in the open sunlight. How can I check if my tyres have 'gone off'?

Simon

It might not be the tyres.

My pickup (D-MAx 2WD) is also at 30k and I've just renewed the front and back brakes. Tyres were not an issue as I replaced the front ones for another issue at 15/20k.

I also nearly hit something and the supposed shudder from the brakes ABS system to indicate wear out only perhaps came in later. About 5k including service at 30k.

I put it down to watching a child or a dog grow. If you live with it you do not notice. If you see it every 6 months you notice the difference. The brakes are very sharp now and I suppose just like they were when new, I just didn't realise how badly they had gone off.

Check your tracking as well.

When it rained yesterday I was unable to stop and almost hit a car in front. The wheels didn't lock up and I was pumping the brakes anyway - but the dam_n car just kept going as the tyres slid on the road - at maybe 50km/h - not fast.

Simon

Unless I'm mistaken, it is my understanding that if you are pumping the brakes, you are defeating the purpose of the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS).  You should apply constant pressure on the brake; like you said, "The wheels didn't lock up".  Pumping the brakes will result in extended stopping distances.

I don't doubt that you may also have a problem with your tires, but just wanted to point out that you shouldn't defeat the intention of the ABS.

Thanks

Simon

I always used BF Goodrich tires on my Land Rover in England. Either A/T's or Trac Edge. Always found they had a really good balance between on and off road grip. Also lasted a long time.

I replacement my Honda CRV (always on-road) tyres at 80,000 km. I must admit all 5 tyres was almost bald. I just went to the 2nd hand tyre shop and pick a resonable one at 500 Baht each (2,400 for 5). They come in 3 different brand. I don't care as I am a cheap Charlie, the Nana cowboy.

My first brake was replaced at 120,000 km. Looking at the worn pad, I could have push for another 30,000 km; but what the heck.

My gf do most of the driving. She drive really slow, and you guess it, like to hog the fast lane. TIT lol.

Edited by samgrowth