Where To Buy Thai Movie Dvds With English Subtitles?

dudeyone

I don't think you can. If someone knows where I'd like to know as well. I was under the impression they don't include them in Thailand, because they are always hoping to sell a more expensive foreign version. Kinda like how American movies are dubbed on (legal) Thai dvds, they don't want Americans buying cheap Thai versions.

Try MBK, I have brought several Thai DVDs with English subs from the shop that also sells imported computer games. Sorry can't remember the name, it's on the fourth floor with a lime green and red sign. You have to be careful and check the box, on the back towards the bottom where the technical specs are, as some films have English subs and some don't.

In the past I have found some Thai films with English subtitles at Maeng Bong or at the Paragon Department Store DVD shop (forgot the name), but generally speaking they are hard to find.

I have resorted to buying them at HMV when in Hong Kong, or even buying online from Yes Asia. Not as cheap as most DVDs but cheaper than buying from, say, the UK.

Where to buy thai movie DVDs with English subtitles? I asked the guys at street side and they don't know if there are English subtitles.

Anywhere if you pay the price...300-500Baht.

Your advisors (street vendors, as I understand) would have no clue how that is possible.

Good if they got a lot from somewhere (Malaysia), it might work.

Generally speaking, only Thai films that have had international theatre releases are issued on DVD with English subtitles. So many of the more famous Thai films, such as Ong Bak or Bangkok Dangerous (the orignal) are available with English subtitles at DVD shops such as MangPong and Boomerang.

Just type the film name followed by "torrent" into google, and download the movie for free, and the movies generally come with the english subtitles included in the torrent. If not, just type the film name with "subtitle" at the end into google and download the english subs for the movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mangpong (look for the sign with the scorpion) usually has a fair few, the MBK branch is quite big and the CentralWorld branch is small but carries a fair few. I went through a phase of systematically going through all the Thai dvds I could find there and buying any that had English subs listed on the back. I ended up with quite a few. Lots of films about werewolves, katoeys and mental people. Almost uniformly awful.

• 1 month later...
Where to buy thai movie DVDs with English subtitles? I asked the guys at street side and they don't know if there are English subtitles.

mot thai movis on dvd do not have subtitles. this is reserved for their us,uk or even hong kong versions. there are a couple though that do have subtitles. when you go to a shop like mangpong (scorpion) you can just look at the back of the case at the bottom in small letters you will in 95% of the cases see the subtitle languages that are included and for older movies and a few new ones you will find english subs.

Or you go ahead and download english subtitles made by fans that you can download from subtitle websites.... just google "movie name" subtitle and you will find one in many cases. A couple subtitles are also on this site here:

http://www.bangkok1080.asia/items/view/135...for-thai-movies

not too many though yet although it says it will be updated.

Hope this helps!

I have bought DVD's that say they have english subtitles but they are obviously put in by a Thai with lousy English skills as they make no sense at all.

Yes, I've seen subtitles added to English movies that had been dubbed into Thai - some of the translations were hilarious. :o

mot thai movis on dvd do not have subtitles. this is reserved for their us,uk or even hong kong versions. there are a couple though that do have subtitles. when you go to a shop like mangpong (scorpion) you can just look at the back of the case at the bottom in small letters you will in 95% of the cases see the subtitle languages that are included and for older movies and a few new ones you will find english subs.

What I don't understand is - if they pay to have subtitles made for the cinema release, why can't they re-use them on the DVD release instead of just wasting them. Surely it can't cost so much to put the subtitles into th DVD package.?

Most of the Mam Jokmok movies are released on DVD without subtitles.

What I don't understand is - if they pay to have subtitles made for the cinema release, why can't they re-use them on the DVD release instead of just wasting them. Surely it can't cost so much to put the subtitles into th DVD package.?

The reason why the subtitles are simple: The production houses of most new Thai movies try to sell the movies distribution rights to other countries. Often this will be "direct-to-dvd" releases of foreign distributors... Now if for example the Thai DVD of Ong Bak would have had English subs (which it didn't) then any US distributor would complain....as this means the Thai DVD which costs much less than a DVD in the US could be exported to American people.......

So in order to play it safe and dont mess up a chance to sell diastribution rights to other countries, most Thai DVDs do not havE the English subs.

• 4 months later...

The reason why the subtitles are simple: The production houses of most new Thai movies try to sell the movies distribution rights to other countries. Often this will be "direct-to-dvd" releases of foreign distributors... Now if for example the Thai DVD of Ong Bak would have had English subs (which it didn't) then any US distributor would complain....as this means the Thai DVD which costs much less than a DVD in the US could be exported to American people.......

So in order to play it safe and dont mess up a chance to sell diastribution rights to other countries, most Thai DVDs do not havE the English subs.

I am sure Thai movie producers have costed the option to add subtitles to Thai movies against just re-licensing them to be re-issued overseas with subtitles. Obviously it is more profitable to re-license them.

At least more people around the world get to see Thai movies, in their own language. Thai movies are subtitled in English, Russian, Spanish, etc.

I promised to reply to a thread I can't now find about the availability of King Naresuan with Englsih subtitles.

At this stage it is not available.

In that thread, I mentioned a new non commercial site, searching out Thai movies with English subtitles, -

www.best-thai-movies.com This seems to be a better thread to have mentioned it in

Now, I promise never to mention this site again on any thread in ThaiVisa Forums, as I don't want to be accused of spamming.

But there are good Thai movies on the market, with Englsih subtitles, - movies no doubt you wished had English subtitles, but couldn't find.

In the week of September 14th 2009, the movies Alone, Fire Warriors and Citizen Dog will be added.

• 14 years later...

I am looking specifically for UK/USA films which have been overdubbed in Thai with subtitle files included on the DVD. All DVD's I bought in the UK had the option to display English subtitles. Some had the option to display alternative subtitles in different languages (usually European). I suspect that I may be able to download English subtitles from the internet. My wife does not read or write very well (sent to work in Bangkok when she was 11) and this would be the best way for us to both sit down at home and enjoy a movie together since she likes overdubbed US,/UK films. Also for Thai films/Lakhorns there is a website called WLEXT which has hundreds of Thai films and Lakhorns with English subtitles which can be downloaded