Adopting Thai Wife's Daughter

domu

Living in Thailand for more than two and a half year and beeing married for one and a half year, My Thai wife's daughter (12) is living with us for 2 years and I take care of all the expenses (School, Insurance, dentist, glasses, etc.). The father of the child disapeared 6 years ago. I wonder if it's a good idea to adopt her (she call me Daddy) and what will be the procedure?

Living in Thailand for more than two and a half year and beeing married for one and a half year, My Thai wife's daughter (12) is living with us for 2 years and I take care of all the expenses (School, Insurance, dentist, glasses, etc.). The father of the child disapeared 6 years ago. I wonder if it's a good idea to adopt her (she call me Daddy) and what will be the procedure?

Sure, why not? One benny could be that she'd be included on your medical insurance family plan.

We did this with my wife's nephew some years back. Down to the provincial social welfare office and make the application. That's "pha sa son kho."

Seems like there's a provincial adoption committee that meets 2-3 times a year, they make the decision.

It may/will be complicated by the absence of the father so you might have to get a court order granting your wife sole custody of the child.

Mac

Sure, why not? One benny could be that she'd be included on your medical insurance family plan.

We did this with my wife's nephew some years back. Down to the provincial social welfare office and make the application. That's "pha sa son kho."

Seems like there's a provincial adoption committee that meets 2-3 times a year, they make the decision.

It may/will be complicated by the absence of the father so you might have to get a court order granting your wife sole custody of the child.

Mac

Did you adopt your wife’s nephew or become the nephew's legal guardian?

My understanding is that as a foreign national married to a Thai you must begin the adoption process in your own country.

Becoming the nephew’s legal guardian is much simpler and only requires the parents consent.

That the child is related to your wife is irrelevant, you will need the father's approval

Mac

"your wife sole custody of the child", this look like a first step. We probably have to check in district or province administration

Surely you can't adopt her unless her father is dead, or he acknowledges and agrees to the adoption. Being as he's been unaccountable for 6 years, I'd say you would be in for a long haul. Just leave it as it is and spend the money you would have on the adoption process and put her through a good school.

Others have done this and might post their experience, but for me we started this process a couple of years ago, but never finished as there was little point. The father, though on the birth certificate has never been heard of since before birth.

We hired a lawyer in the upcountry province that filed paperwork with local court. After a few months we went and my wife, the daughter, and myself (with court provided translator) about our circumstances and relationship. After a couple of weeks we received an official court document, which when translated basically said that the natural father had no rights and the court found that I was fit to the father and should allowed to adopt her.

At this point, if we were going to purse it further, we would have had to go through the MFA office in charge of this. I understand, that for people living in Thailand and intending to stay here, it is fairly painless, though time consuming. If the intent is to take the child overseas, then the process must be done through the one of the adoption agency and indeed starts in home country with an authorized agency certify the fitness of the parent(s).

TH

PS - don't recall what the lawyer charged, so don't bother asking...

Did you adopt your wife's nephew or become the nephew's legal guardian?

My understanding is that as a foreign national married to a Thai you must begin the adoption process in your own country.

Becoming the nephew's legal guardian is much simpler and only requires the parents consent.

That the child is related to your wife is irrelevant, you will need the father's approval

A foreigner who lives here and has a work permit can start the process here, but has to also do the process in his own country later to have a full adoption.

If one does not live here on one of the legal long term visas, then the process has to begin in one of the authorized agencies in his/her home country, which can be very complicated.

The problem of the father having disappeared in this case complicates the issue, but it is not impossible.

nevermind, responded to thread title without reading thread

Edited by t.s

Mac

Did you adopt your wife’s nephew or become the nephew's legal guardian?

Becoming the nephew’s legal guardian is much simpler and only requires the parents consent.

Good point, let me clarify.

My now wife did the adoption, but we were NOT married at that time so there were no complications. This being Thailand, however, I was also interviewed by the social welfare folks, primarily to establish "family" income level. Interesting the way things work out here.

Plus we had the kid's natural father there to sign off on the deal, however reluctantly.

Seems to me we waited six months or more for the OK. Went down and picked up the paper work, off to the amphur to register the deed, changed his last name to the g/f's, done deal.

People interested in international adoptions might contact Holt, they've been doing this for 50+ years, 25 or so in Thailand: http://www.holtintl.org/thailand/

They're the parent organization of HOLT SAHATHAI.

Mac

nevermind, responded to thread title without reading thread

No doubt your first post was scathing :o ....thank goodness for the edit button. Anyway, what a nice change, normally its just you not understanding the topic at hand :D

Surely you can't adopt her unless her father is dead, or he acknowledges and agrees to the adoption. Being as he's been unaccountable for 6 years, I'd say you would be in for a long haul. Just leave it as it is and spend the money you would have on the adoption process and put her through a good school.

Very important for the father to be legally out of the picture - or he may pop up again later to blackmail you.

If the mother has not got a certificate of sole custody from the Amphoe, then she must swear a legal affidavit in front of a judge (solicitor can help with this) then take this to the Amphoe to get issued with a certificate of sole custody. Takes 3-6 months maybe, without any cooperation from the father.The child is usually interviewed by the judge too.

You need this certificate to get a passport for your stepdaughter to travel outside Thailand, while she is still a minor, and various other legal things like adoption.

Of course if the mother never went through an official (amphoe) wedding registration with the father, she probably has sole custody already.

Of course if the mother never went through an official (amphoe) wedding registration with the father, she probably has sole custody already.

Important point for me. We could get married because my wife and her ex-huband never register their wedding, but he signed the birth certificate and the child have his family name. We will check this from amphoe shortly.