The Old Farang Near Soi 20-22

colino

A few times I have been down Soi 22 and Soi 20 and i have seen this old trampy farang.

And I do mean tramp dirty clothes sleeps on the bench and has a stick which with he scratches Thai writing on the road surface or on the pavements,

I gave him some coffee and a cake the other night, but he would not say much and what he did say i couldn't understand!

Anyone else met him ?

Colino

I dont know ,just seen him a few times ,and monday night he was sleeping on a bench by soi 22 7-11.

But he had written a load of stuff on the pavement, I just wonderd how he gets by with living like that over here ?

A few times I have been down Soi 22 and Soi 20 and i have seen this old trampy farang.

And I do mean tramp dirty clothes sleeps on the bench and has a stick which with he scratches Thai writing on the road surface or on the pavements,

I gave him some coffee and a cake the other night, but he would not say much and what he did say i couldn't understand!

Anyone else met him ?

Colino

Im not jumping to any conclusions, but he seems to be having a hard time lately I dont want to butt into his life,

it looks like he has been here years and managed upto now, just made me think about how he managed and has anyone else spoke to him ?

colino

Edited by Mario2008
deleted quoted text removed - mario2008

Anyone else met him ?

Colino

Nice of you to care,i imagine a lot of people will be falling on hard times soon.Never hurts to show some compassion,the world needs more. :o

Anyone else met him ?

Colino

There was a farang tramp on Asoke last night about 10 PM sitting at a bus shelter just down from Cowboy, could have been the same person

we should not jump to conclusions. for all we know, he is a class act fallen on hard times. maybe he was a victim of Madoff's pyramid scheme. fwiw, i have not met him but i am going to assume that he is a classy guy innocently done over by a Thai woman.

Not jump to conclusions.

But we can assume.

:o

His speech was bad just mumbling maybe european but not slurred from drink, all I know is that he walks up 22 then

up to the next 7-11

and hangs around and has a long stick that he writes with? he has never asked me for anything,

colino

His speech was bad just mumbling maybe european but not slurred from drink, all I know is that he walks up 22 then

up to the next 7-11

and hangs around and has a long stick that he writes with? he has never asked me for anything,

colino

The famous Stickman maybe?

Edited by PattayaParent

A few years ago, I met a guy, Christopher was his name. Looking worst than a tramp and spending all his day doing mathematical equations, looking for the meaning of number 7 !?! No alcohol and no drug were involved...

After several meetings, we became acquainted - he had such a brilliant mind -; and I even met his sister who on behalf of their family tried to repatriate him back home.

He was actually one of the heir of an European aristocratic family and he had a suite paid by the year at Dusit Thani Hotel; but prefered to sleep either on the street or at the back of temples.

Last time I have heard from him that was in the newspaper. He was one day overstay and tried (himself) to change the date on his passport.

Immigration realized that and sent him to jail. He died there because they did not give access to his insuline.

Anyone else met him ?

Colino

Nice of you to care,i imagine a lot of people will be falling on hard times soon.Never hurts to show some compassion,the world needs more. :o

I totally agree. So often we just walk on by some really desperate people without so much as passing a glance. A guy with a rooster approached my daughter and I the other night and asked for 20 baht. I gave it to him and someone came up and said he scams everyone. Those are mistakes worth making, I think. I just don't do it often enough. Harder times ahead for all.... It would make an interesting thread by the way: should we help beggers on the street? The ones with kids? There are a number of sides there...

I totally agree. So often we just walk on by some really desperate people without so much as passing a glance. A guy with a rooster approached my daughter and I the other night and asked for 20 baht. I gave it to him and someone came up and said he scams everyone. Those are mistakes worth making, I think. I just don't do it often enough. Harder times ahead for all.... It would make an interesting thread by the way: should we help beggers on the street? The ones with kids? There are a number of sides there...

An excellent question.

I give to those on the street if, at least visually, I can see that they deserve help...which may not always be fair. What I mean is...people missing limbs, those obviously with diseases such as AIDS or leprosy, the blind, and so forth. One group I will not give to is mothers on the street holding little children. I think it is horrible to have a child out in the heat and sun for long days begging.

On the other hand, the last time I was staying up on Phetburi, there was an old woman on a walkover everyday with a scales. I weighed myself daily and paid her a daily bonus...not because I really wanted to weigh myself, but because she at least showed some initiative.

I know...it's not an easy question to answer.

Did this trampy looking guy have extremely long hair and an extremely long beard? I used to see such a guy around Sukhumvit 65 a few years ago. I also saw him on other various areas of Sukhumvit and he certainly could move from place to place from time to time. The bloke I saw muttered incoherently a lot of the time and had a long stick while carrying a bag and other odds and ends and was shirtless accept for the bags stuffed with junk hanging all over his upper body.

Then there is the Frenchman (reportedly) who looked more Greek whom my friend saw on the skytrain and around Siam, to name just two places, and he would have loud arguments with himself or an unseen companion. My friend chanced on him many a time. I too, saw the fellow (after a description I was told it was certainly him) in Central Silom having a loud, animated argument with some invisible person. It kind of freaked out the girl I was eating lunch with at the coffee shop. Just seemed completely bonkers and I wondered what he was doing in Thailand and why he couldn't be in his home country getting some much needed psychiatric help. That said, it certainly livened up my lunch a bit to see such a display.

Anyone else met him ?

Colino

There was a farang tramp on Asoke last night about 10 PM sitting at a bus shelter just down from Cowboy, could have been the same person

I thought that Macanello had gone stright home after leaving The Crossbar last night. :o

I read a bunch of that writing the other day at the bus stop near Soi 20. It's all in English and the characters are drawn very oddly. Looks like pink chalk. I couldn't make heads or tails of it as it read like some kind of bargirl scrawling her thoughts about China and society after too much whiskey. I just recall multiple mentions of China, not much else.

There is another ferang that hangs around soi 3 - 4 ( manchester guy about 30 Years Old ) , he is always asking for money from EVERY brit he spots and always uses the same story

Tell me more. Has he got blonde hair? :o

RAZZ

I saw him yesterday!

I was walking down the skyramp from the Asok BTS heading towards soi 23. I just happened to glance down and saw some older guy with a bamboo stick and a bag and he was yelling at the traffic at the Asok and Sukhumvit intersection.

I was early to work so I decided to watch him just a bit. After yelling at the traffic he headed up sukhumvit toward phrom phong. He checked the phones for change left behind, then he started up a conversation with a young farang who was waiting for a friend i think. I walked by and the young farang looked very confused... they talked for a bit more and then the old guy continued on his way with his stick. The farang didnt give him any money

funny because i had just read this thread the day before...

Did this trampy looking guy have extremely long hair and an extremely long beard? I used to see such a guy around Sukhumvit 65 a few years ago. I also saw him on other various areas of Sukhumvit and he certainly could move from place to place from time to time. The bloke I saw muttered incoherently a lot of the time and had a long stick while carrying a bag and other odds and ends and was shirtless accept for the bags stuffed with junk hanging all over his upper body.

Then there is the Frenchman (reportedly) who looked more Greek whom my friend saw on the skytrain and around Siam, to name just two places, and he would have loud arguments with himself or an unseen companion. My friend chanced on him many a time. I too, saw the fellow (after a description I was told it was certainly him) in Central Silom having a loud, animated argument with some invisible person. It kind of freaked out the girl I was eating lunch with at the coffee shop. Just seemed completely bonkers and I wondered what he was doing in Thailand and why he couldn't be in his home country getting some much needed psychiatric help. That said, it certainly livened up my lunch a bit to see such a display.

Yes the first guy you talk about matches the guy i met

colino

Ps his writing could be in english , i saw Thai symbols

Edited by colino

There is another ferang that hangs around soi 3 - 4 ( manchester guy about 30 Years Old ) , he is always asking for money from EVERY brit he spots and always uses the same story

Which is?

There was a thread not so long ago about a farang who begs on Nana Nua/Sua with his suitcase and a sign saying he was cheated by his girlfriend and is looking for work with "farang pay". IIRC there is a video on YouTube of someone interviewing him .

Which is?

that he had just arrived in Bangkok on a bus from Chaing Mai that day, and all his stuff was stolen, including money... also that he had been to the Embassey and they wouldnt help him and if he could borrow 1,000 THB and he will pay you back