Called A Farang

fred2007

Ok Mods merge this topic if you think it is not a new one.

I do not mind being called a farang,we all know what it means but one lady called me a farang and some of my friends, she is Thai, lived for many years in Swizerland can speak German, not to good. But I just wonder how can she call me a farang even so she lived outsite her country for many many years.

No one ever would call her an asian or some thing else in Switzerland.

I just don't get it.

I am lost

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do not mind being called a farang,we all know what it means but one lady called me a farang and some of my friends, she is Thai, lived for many years in Swizerland can speak German, not to good. But I just wonder how can she call me a farang even so she lived outsite her country for many many years.

I just don't get it.

I am lost

I hate being called a 'farang' especially by people who think that I don't know what it means. "Ooh look a farang" is a quote I hate to hear. My daughter looks 100% farang and I hate it when they call her "farang noi" and stare at her. Thais are ignorant of others feelings bar their own. ***k them.

I just don't get it.

I am lost

Most of the time I grin and bare when called a farang. I do find it helps to make the point however if I respond by calling the other person a Thai, most often it causes the other person to stop and think for a moment.

Thais are ignorant of others feelings bar their own. ***k them.

Another Farang that is settled and happy in Thailand........ :o

When you say Thais are ignorant, you obviously mean those that you associate with, or do you also include the 65 Million others that you don't ?

Edited by Maigo6

Thais are ignorant of others feelings bar their own. ***k them.

Another Farang that is settled and happy in Thailand........ :o

When you say Thais are ignorant, you obviously mean those that you associate with, or do you also include the 65 Million others that you don't ?

Sorry but I must live in an isolated area of Thailand that hasn't been discovered yet by modern man. I don't associate with people I find ignorant, westerners or Thais. I suppose all the Thais you associate with are honest, hard working , educated, unselfish and farang lovers ? Well that's fine, but I don't Edited by coventry

I don't like being called a "farang" and my close Thai friends, boyfriend, and his friends all know this and therefore refrain from referring to me as a "farang" when I am in their presence. I don't think that all of them understand why I do not like this word, but they are respectful enough not to call me that. (Who knows what they say when I'm not around though :o )

Doesn't bother me, but I think it would be a bit suspect if someone who knew my name was calling me farang.

Tam: Hello this is my friend farang, farang meet my friend Noi.

Noi: Hello farang.

Me: Hello dark skinned asian.

Doesn't really sound that nice does it?

I don't mind being called Farang - these days,it's just nice to be noticed :o

When I hear "Oooh, Farang" around the villages etc, I know that it is out of curiosity. Not once have I felt any resentment or disrespect in the use of the word.

My girlfriend, and her family, will use "Farang" when talking about me, or in the third person. It sounded odd at first but I quickly got over it, I suggest everyone else does otherwise you will become bitter like coventry clearly has. Many Thais may be uneducated but I have met more ignorant Farangs than Thais.

Doesn't bother me, but I think it would be a bit suspect if someone who knew my name was calling me farang.

Tam: Hello this is my friend farang, farang meet my friend Noi.

Noi: Hello farang.

Me: Hello dark skinned asian.

Doesn't really sound that nice does it?

Hey, some of us are rather fond of dark-skinned asians!

No day goes by without me waking up and praying, "Oh dear God, please do not let anybody call me a farang!" It nearly drives me insane, and then I drive past a market named "Kad Farang," where you can buy farang fruit and Swiss chocolate.

This is the mostest biggest problem in Tyeland, greater than coloured shirts or English teachers, beer bars or gay pride parades being violently broken up. Never mind that auto production is down by 50%. People are calling farangs, farangs! Oh, the horror, the shame, the shambala, the jambalaya and the crawfish pie......

I can only say that the people who find Farang offensive have never worked on a construction site, oil rig or platform. I do not object to Farang at all. I have never had it said to me in a hostile way. When working back in London I'm a Northern Monkey, Geordie, But actually a smog monster, and a whole load of names I could not post. :D

90% of the time its said in a friendly way and the other times its not, ? So what ? Its only words! People tend to make a lot out of words though especially in the UK where nobody has a sense of humour these days.

Just smile at them and get on with enjoying yourself. :o:D

We've had thousands of threads about this subject.

I like being called a farang it reminds me I'm different to them.

Don't get angry about it. We used to say 'Sticks & stones' as a Kid, not sure you'll be familiar with it.

The time to get angry is when the collective start breaking down your walls and running over your Kids or Dog and Burning down anything you try to grow and then grinning from ear to ear. :o

Westerners or foreigners or non Thais who accept this racial slur are a disgrace to their own race. I accept that it can be used as purely descriptive but that is in itself potentially racially abusive and in its most common usage it is akin to "nigger" or "<deleted>", "paki", "coon" or other non acceptable word.

Sorry, I do not use the word and will not accept it. Now roll up all you "I know more than the Thais" westerners to tell me how it should be, how I know nothing and how I should be kissing their arse etc.

Well you guys think it's big and clever calling each other "Southern Fairies" and "Northern Monkeys", where I live we all know each other as "cun_ts"

Where are you from Scottyd. ? Cun_ts Sounds very english but your Avatar makes me think US or something . Is that really you ?

To the OP,

1. Does the term "farang" offend you?

2. Was the purpose of calling you a "farang" to offend you?

If your answer to either 1. or 2. is "yes", then get upset.

If your answer to both 1. and 2. is "no", then do NOT get upset.

Print this out, put it in your wallet, and carry it with you at ALL times.

It will absolutely SAVE you from using your brain.

Westerners or foreigners or non Thais who accept this racial slur are a disgrace to their own race. I accept that it can be used as purely descriptive but that is in itself potentially racially abusive and in its most common usage it is akin to "nigger" or "<deleted>", "paki", "coon" or other non acceptable word.

Sorry, I do not use the word and will not accept it. Now roll up all you "I know more than the Thais" westerners to tell me how it should be, how I know nothing and how I should be kissing their arse etc.

What do you do ? Punch them or something ? ........ even the Kids ?

Westerners or foreigners or non Thais who accept this racial slur are a disgrace to their own race.

What, are you some kind of white power meshugeh? :o

Not this topic again.

Is there a full moon?

Edited by Jingthing