Called A Farang

fred2007

Not that long ago I stood in the immigration there, the signs said Aliens.

Fair point, but everyday usage on the street and the press, the word aliens is usually applied to illegals. There is no way a waiter greeting a French tourist in a restaurant would call him an alien, to his face or friends. He would say French tourist or foreigner.

True.

But I have never heard about a Thai saying "hello farang, how are you"?

What would the farang like to eat?

Is the farang thirsty?

:o

ive heard the last 2 lines before. you can hear it in bars restaurants all over the place. but not the hello farang, how are you?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the unspoken cast system here Farangs belonged to the higher class. This was once. Maybe until 20 years ago. There were not so many Farangs here and therefore their habits were a mystery to most Thais.

They were seen as some kind of eccentric hisos, 'cause they could handle the costs to be in Thailand and enjoy life with minimum effort. Being called Farang was never an insult at that time, it was almost a honour...

...so this was our little history lesson for today.

All words have meanings which you can find in dictionaries. You can not expect people to modify their vocabulary to accommodate your perception of what any word might mean.

Farang means white skinned which many Thais find admirable; many spend a lot of money to get white skin.

Alien means from a foreign country, so I am farang and alien in Thailand.

If rudeness is the objective I am sure that it will be clear in other ways more offensive than an inoffensive word, if those other ways are lacking, I find no offence.

Edited by tgeezer

I can only say that the people who find Farang offensive have never worked on a construction site, oil rig or platform. I do not object to Farang at all. I have never had it said to me in a hostile way.

Wrong - I have and do.

I don't mind being called Farang - these days,it's just nice to be noticed :o

When I hear "Oooh, Farang" around the villages etc, I know that it is out of curiosity. Not once have I felt any resentment or I'm disrespect in the use of the word.

My girlfriend, and her family, will use "Farang" when talking about me, or in the third person. It sounded odd at first but I quickly got over it, I suggest everyone else does otherwise you will become bitter like coventry clearly has. Many Thais may be uneducated but I have met more ignorant Farangs than Thais.

Im sorry to say it dude but if your girlfriend or her family refer to you as "farang" or "the farang" ALARM BELLS should be ringing! They certainly dont accept you as part of their family.

CrossBones, you took the words right out of my mouth.

From my lifelong experience among Thai friends, often heard they using the word 'Farang' while referring to unhighly praised Westerners. Even worst if they know that person's name, but choose to call 'Farang' for the purpose of using derogatory term.

Oh, BTW, the derogatory term for calling the Japanese is 'Yoon'.

I am lostI hate being called a 'farang' especially by people who think that I don't know what it means. "Ooh look a farang" is a quote I hate to hear. My daughter looks 100% farang and I hate it when they call her "farang noi" and stare at her. Thais are ignorant of others feelings bar their own. ***k them.

As well as sort of understanding your feeling (caused by not knowing the true meaning) I am also annoyed by the fact that you said ***k them. You said your daughter looks 100% farang, are you implying that her mother is Thai? If she is Thai and reasonably educated, she wouldn't be happy reading what you wrote. I think your understanding of the word Farang is just not quite right. That's why you are a bit angry when people call your daughter farang noi. Farang is simply a term used to call people of Caucasoid race. There is no hidden or slang meaning to it whatsoever. It's simply a common term used in Thailand by Thais and farangs who undertstand the true meaning of it.

I have a little story to tell you and surprisingly happened to myself, years ago I was standing inside Liverpool Street tube station in London waiting for a farang friend who worked in the City. While waiting, 3 farangs (2 teenages and 1 looked about 30) approached me and shouted at me "You Pakki". I was not angry with those men at all eventhough the word he said was so meaningful and impolite. In fact I just ignored them and acted like nothing happened.

The point I am trying to make here is that the word Farang isn't a slang word and it does NOT have the same impact as the word Pakki which is spoken by certain people who live in the UK. I really hope that this message of mine changes your understanding and your attitude towards the word Farang.

Kind Regards,

Tongfaafaasai

PS. i wasn't angry with those 3 people because i was born in Thailand as a Thai/Chinese. however, my look had convinced them that i was an Asian. the question is though would i be angry if i was really an Asian. And would you rather be a farang called a farang OR an asian called a Pakki?

Edited by tongfaafaasai

Westerners or foreigners or non Thais who accept this racial slur are a disgrace to their own race. I accept that it can be used as purely descriptive but that is in itself potentially racially abusive and in its most common usage it is akin to "nigger" or "<deleted>", "paki", "coon" or other non acceptable word.

Sorry, I do not use the word and will not accept it. Now roll up all you "I know more than the Thais" westerners to tell me how it should be, how I know nothing and how I should be kissing their arse etc.

Disagree strongly. Farang is simply a Thai term for people of Caucasoid race. You are annoyed when called a farang simply becuase you do NOT understand the word like the Thais do. It's a culture-language thing rather than a racial issue. You can trust me on this as I am from Thailand, born and bred! You can read more about this in my other post above.

Kind Regards,

Tongfaafaasai

I am lostI hate being called a 'farang' especially by people who think that I don't know what it means. "Ooh look a farang" is a quote I hate to hear. My daughter looks 100% farang and I hate it when they call her "farang noi" and stare at her. Thais are ignorant of others feelings bar their own. ***k them.

As well as sort of understanding your feeling (caused by not knowing the true meaning) I am also annoyed by the fact that you said ***k them. You said your daughter looks 100% farang, are you implying that her mother is Thai? If she is Thai and reasonably educated, she wouldn't be happy reading what you wrote. I think your understanding of the word Farang is just not quite right. That's why you are a bit angry when people call your daughter farang noi. Farang is simply a term used to call people of Caucasoid race. There is no hidden or slang meaning to it whatsoever. It's simply a common term used in Thailand by Thais and farangs who undertstand the true meaning of it.

I have a little story to tell you and surprisingly happened to myself, years ago I was standing inside Liverpool Street tube station in London waiting for a farang friend who worked in the City. While waiting, 3 farangs (2 teenages and 1 looked about 30) approached me and shouted at me "You Pakki". I was not angry with those men at all eventhough the word he said was so meaningful and impolite. In fact I just ignored them and acted like nothing happened.

The point I am trying to make here is that the word Farang isn't a slang word and it does NOT have the same impact as the word Pakki which is spoken by certain people who live in the UK. I really hope that this message of mine changes your understanding and your attitude towards the word Farang.

Kind Regards,

Tongfaafaasai

PS. i wasn't angry with those 3 people because i was born in Thailand as a Thai/Chinese. however, my look had convinced them that i was an Asian. the question is though would i be angry if i was really an Asian. And would you rather be a farang called a farang OR an asian called a Pakki?

Tongfaafaasai speaks the truth , Although your not a Pakki which in my book simply is short for Pakistanni which is probably a derogatory remark also to some people . I am interested to know why you think your not Asian though :o

I think your understanding of the word Farang is just not quite right...There is no hidden or slang meaning to it whatsoever. It's simply a common term used in Thailand by Thais and farangs who undertstand the true meaning of it.

OK, I'll put my two cents in. If we accept the foundation of the word "farang" to simply mean a foreigner of Caucasian origin, would you accept that the word can be used in a derogatory fashion? Just like your "Pakki" example. You interpreted the use of Pakki as a racial slur - yet you deny (or it seems that way) that the word farang can be used in a similar fashion. The Japanese have a similar word called "Gaijin" which is generally considered to be used these days in the negative/derogatory manner. This also gives the example of when words can evolve to have a new meaning as a result of widespread usage.

A previous poster made the very valid point of when thais use the term farang when they know the person - something that I agree with being simply rude. I understand why they would use the term with someone they don't know or when talking generally about foreigners, but why prefer the use of the word farang over the use of someone’s name? Would you not be offended if I simply referred to you and anybody else near you as "Thai" or if you prefer more formally "Khun Thai"? I would suggest that you don't fully understand how "Farangs" think, perceive and interpret things through language.

The point I have made is that you do not accept that the word farang can be used in a derogatory context and you do not accept that your fellow thais can use the word in such a way. I certainly have overheard discussions where it appeared to me that the word was used in a derogatory manner and I also accept that if a thai doesn't know your name, its natural for them to use the word farang.

I really do not understand people's concerns. I asked my (thai) partner what she thinks about people calling farangs 'farangs' and what it meant to her when she used it. She told me farang means 'foreigner' why is there a problem. To her it is an entirely non-offensive word.

I went on to ask her how she felt about being called an asian. she said "I am an asian". She has absolutley no problem with it at all.

can someone who finds the word 'farang' please explain what they think the translation into english is that's so offensive.

Signed

A proud farang

Tongfaafaasai speaks the truth , Although your not a Pakki which in my book simply is short for Pakistanni which is probably a derogatory remark also to some people . I am interested to know why you think your not Asian though :o

I was an Asian prior to learning English the British way. For some reason, British refer an Asian to a person who is from India, Bangaladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistani and some other countries from South Asia. Thailand is in Asia so yes I am an Asian and a Thai.

I was an Asian prior to learning English the British way. For some reason, British refer an Asian to a person who is from India, Bangaladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistani and some other countries from South Asia. Thailand is in Asia so yes I am an Asian and a Thai.

Your a 'South East Asian' in my book, probably been mistaken for allsorts in Britain though right :D

Chok Dee my little peanut :D Only joking , I miss the days when we could have a laugh about being different :D

I really do not understand people's concerns. I asked my (thai) partner what she thinks about people calling farangs 'farangs' and what it meant to her when she used it. She told me farang means 'foreigner' why is there a problem. To her it is an entirely non-offensive word.

I went on to ask her how she felt about being called an asian. she said "I am an asian". She has absolutley no problem with it at all.

can someone who finds the word 'farang' please explain what they think the translation into english is that's so offensive.

Signed

A proud farang

I would suggest that those who do get offended by it are also belittled and self-victimized in other aspects of their personal relationship with thailand ie: they want to be residents but struggle with immigration criteria, they want to be understood but struggle with the language, they want a job but their skills dont fit in thailand etc...... therefore they see the use of a term to describe them ,as benign as it is, as yet another way of them being excluded.Adding salt to their mental wounds so to speak.

It's just a description and we always go for the easiest one, right?

Over there next to the fat guy

I want a shirt like that, the one the bald guy is wearing

I like her, the Asian chick over there

She lives next door to the black couple down the street

I live next door to the farang house

How is it that as an adult you are still getting upset by being refered to as a farang? If it was my family here, my wife or any of my neighbours calling me farang that would be a bit impersonal for sure, but they don't. But if someone here doesn't know me by my name then I am fine with them refering to me as the farang.

Life's too short, enjoy it.

The word itself is not generally offensive (imho), like most words, it is the context used or the intention of the user that can make it offensive as well as the person who interprets it (or misinterprets it). I'll give you an example, in some countries you are not allowed in the media to describe offenders in relation to their ethnic origin - so saying something along the lines of "The offender was an asian male..." would be considered inappropriate by media standards because it can create a connotation that asians are more likely to be criminals.

I wonder how thais would react if they were called farangs while they were overseas as they would then be the "foreigner". I would like to say I would like to try it, but I doubt I could test it as I could not bring myself to go around pointing out foreigners in a loud voice. Is it ok for me to talk about foreign asians as being gooks? Let’s be realistic, the word farang does not mean foreigner in thai, it is used as a reference to Caucasian foreigners. At the end of the day, can someone seriously say with some authority that the word farang CANNOT be used in a derogatory way?

please people, behave, your starting to make a mountain out of a molehill here!!!!!!!! it bugs me sometimes being called farang but at the end of the day, i'm not native. i'm a native of britain(Yorkshire) but i choose to reside in thailand, if i spend all the time moaning about name calling then i wouldn't come to thailand!!! after all a shovels a shovel, and a spades a spade

I think your understanding of the word Farang is just not quite right...There is no hidden or slang meaning to it whatsoever. It's simply a common term used in Thailand by Thais and farangs who undertstand the true meaning of it.

OK, I'll put my two cents in. If we accept the foundation of the word "farang" to simply mean a foreigner of Caucasian origin, would you accept that the word can be used in a derogatory fashion? Just like your "Pakki" example. You interpreted the use of Pakki as a racial slur - yet you deny (or it seems that way) that the word farang can be used in a similar fashion. The Japanese have a similar word called "Gaijin" which is generally considered to be used these days in the negative/derogatory manner. This also gives the example of when words can evolve to have a new meaning as a result of widespread usage.

A previous poster made the very valid point of when thais use the term farang when they know the person - something that I agree with being simply rude. I understand why they would use the term with someone they don't know or when talking generally about foreigners, but why prefer the use of the word farang over the use of someone's name? Would you not be offended if I simply referred to you and anybody else near you as "Thai" or if you prefer more formally "Khun Thai"? I would suggest that you don't fully understand how "Farangs" think, perceive and interpret things through language.

The point I have made is that you do not accept that the word farang can be used in a derogatory context and you do not accept that your fellow thais can use the word in such a way. I certainly have overheard discussions where it appeared to me that the word was used in a derogatory manner and I also accept that if a thai doesn't know your name, its natural for them to use the word farang.

Honestly, I wouldn't accept that the word can be used in a derogatory fashion. This is just an opinion from 1 out of about 65 million Thai people in Thailand so surely, that can't be right. What I would recommend you doing though is that speak to as many Thais as you can and find out yourself if the word can be used in a negative manner or it is just simply a term for people of Caucasoid race.

As in regard to being called or referred to as Khun Thai, I for one and the rest of Thai people would be happy with that. I see no problems with that as long as the word is the common non-derogatory term used in such country.

Becuase of my ability to understand fully the way certain Farangs think, perceive and interpret Thai words, I am willing to educate them how the word Farang should be interpreted; hence my knowledge of Thai language is for you to read in a few of my posts above.

Furthermore, If I was a foreigner in say Uganda and having a doubt in a particular word, I would ask an Ugandian (i hope that is the right word) to explain me the true meaning of such word and how it is interpreted. In my opinion that is far better than finding out the meaning from someone local and interpret it the way YOU think it is interpreted. Language is a culture thing and should be left for the natives to explain, they have better knowledge than non-natives which I am sure you can not disagree. No wonder why I learnt English more from a native English teacher and obviously less from a Thai English teacher.

Anyway, I am not here to argue with people I am here to help certain Farangs to understand the term Farang correctly.

Kind Regards,

Tongfaafaasai

Furthermore, If I was a foreigner in say Uganda and having a doubt in a particular word, I would ask an Ugandian (i hope that is the right word) to explain me the true meaning of such word and how it is interpreted.

But here in Thailand many Thais have no idea that the word Farang is used by other Thais as an insult in certain situations.

Ok Mods merge this topic if you think it is not a new one.

I do not mind being called a farang,we all know what it means but one lady called me a farang and some of my friends, she is Thai, lived for many years in Swizerland can speak German, not to good. But I just wonder how can she call me a farang even so she lived outsite her country for many many years.

No one ever would call her an asian or some thing else in Switzerland.

I just don't get it.

I am lost

I hate being called a 'farang' especially by people who think that I don't know what it means. "Ooh look a farang" is a quote I hate to hear. My daughter looks 100% farang and I hate it when they call her "farang noi" and stare at her. Thais are ignorant of others feelings bar their own. ***k them.

Yeah. Have to agree with you - just remind yourself that by not calling them 'gook', 'chink' or '<deleted>' or whatever less than flattering term of reference our cultures have coined you stand tall on the moral high ground! 'Nuff said :o

Doesn't bother me, but I think it would be a bit suspect if someone who knew my name was calling me farang.

Tam: Hello this is my friend farang, farang meet my friend Noi.

Noi: Hello farang.

Me: Hello dark skinned asian.

Doesn't really sound that nice does it?

And you are all the richer for not stooping to their level of discourse :o

Well you guys think it's big and clever calling each other "Southern Fairies" and "Northern Monkeys", where I live we all know each other as "cun_ts"

Just out of curiosity., is that because it's a shorter word and therefore not such a strain on the brain? :o

All words have meanings which you can find in dictionaries. You can not expect people to modify their vocabulary to accommodate your perception of what any word might mean.

Farang means white skinned which many Thais find admirable; many spend a lot of money to get white skin.

Alien means from a foreign country, so I am farang and alien in Thailand.

If rudeness is the objective I am sure that it will be clear in other ways more offensive than an inoffensive word, if those other ways are lacking, I find no offence.

Farang doesn't mean white-skinned. In the bizarre world that Thais inhabit, a white-skinned person usually refers to any mildly pale-skinned Asian, even though their skin is yellow or light brown. Using the word 'white' to mean 'Caucasian' causes endless confusion to Thai people. That's why most of them use the word 'farang' even when talking in English. If you ask what that means in English they'll usually say 'foreigner' even though the Thai word for foreigner is completely different.

Well you guys think it's big and clever calling each other "Southern Fairies" and "Northern Monkeys", where I live we all know each other as "cun_ts"

Just out of curiosity., is that because it's a shorter word and therefore not such a strain on the brain? :o

Maybe, but its common . Its Ca_nt darn sarf :D