Farang Busking At Theprasit Market

barrybike

i saw this farang sitting on the ground in the middle of theprasit market the other day playing a wooden flute type instrument..he looked a bit trampish..he wasent old maybe early 40s .i threw him a 100 bt out of sympathy for him ,even the thai people couldnt believe it ,they were giving him money too....it was an unsual sight i have to say.just wondering did any of ye ever come accross similar situations before ...???

i saw this farang sitting on the ground in the middle of theprasit market the other day playing a wooden flute type instrument..he looked a bit trampish..he wasent old maybe early 40s .i threw him a 100 bt out of sympathy for him ,even the thai people couldnt believe it ,they were giving him money too....it was an unsual sight i have to say.just wondering did any of ye ever come accross similar situations before ...???

How about the guy around back doing foot massages ?

Yeah, at least he was not renting other peoples babies and forcing them to sit on the streets to get cash. I've even seen baggers with puppies trying to win votes there, as if she needed to pay vet bills or something.

Good to see the spirit of goodwill to all men and charitable acts are so alive and well in Pattaya. At least he is busking and not begging!

Yes, on the one hand, I completely agree with you, but I do feel a bit embarrassed for people like him and for myself as Thais would be quick to look down on him and then. reflect that in their attitude to all westeners.

I think if you are going to live off the streets why not do it in your own country where you at least have some support mechanism to assist you.

Have you ever considered that the guy might just like playing his flute in public? So he doesn't look like a moron he throws a hat down? He could be just doing it for his own way to kill time and spread joy in the world....you put your own paradigms on him, not vice versa.

Oz

Good to see the spirit of goodwill to all men and charitable acts are so alive and well in Pattaya. At least he is busking and not begging!

Well, this is Pattaya, get used to it, farang community is very smart and friendly...hahahaha

I've been in the land of smiles 16 plus years never seen this, pics please. Seen many Farangs Monks, during their morning Merit walk, give as I would the Thai Monks. Only the best Fruit and Juice, wife get up early to make rice and other Thai food. :D:o:D:D

I've been in the land of smiles 16 plus years never seen this, pics please. Seen many Farangs Monks, during their morning Merit walk, give as I would the Thai Monks. Only the best Fruit and Juice, wife get up early to make rice and other Thai food. :D:o:D:D

i was embarassed enough for him ,i wasent going to start taking pictures of him as well.go to the market he is probably still there at weekends

what real harm was he doing and really if people are that narrow minded to think all westerners are low life just because somebody is busking then thats their problem...

it's a bit like me saying all thais are just baht bus scum who would fight you over the sake of 5 baht :o

I usually give to beggars, too often probably. Makes you wonder where the money really goes though. Ive seen that poor guy usually around Nana BTS being carried away into a waiting car, but then again how else can someone get around with no arms and legs.

all thais are just baht bus scum who would fight you over the sake of 5 baht.

Well most of them would/do that is why it is better to pay the correct fare: 10 baht!

Well most of them would/do that is why it is better to pay the correct fare: 10 baht!

i always pay that amount but i met this bb driver one night a few year ago and me and my friend handed in 20 bt and he wanted more ,we only went from soi 8 to royal garden plaza.....the <snip> spat in my face and drove off,i was mad ..but maybe it could have been worse.

Edited by soundman
Watch the language please.

totally agree .......

Me too. I think it's a bit much to judge this guy without knowing what his circumstances are. Maybe he is just another of those unlucky people who have been taken to the cleaners financially by a Thai lady who has a sick buffalo, mother is in hospital, brother in hospital after bike accident and so it goes on. Have a heart and give the guy a break until you know otherwise. Hopefully it wont be you in the future we are dropping money to.

totally agree .......

Me too. I think it's a bit much to judge this guy without knowing what his circumstances are. Maybe he is just another of those unlucky people who have been taken to the cleaners financially by a Thai lady who has a sick buffalo, mother is in hospital, brother in hospital after bike accident and so it goes on. Have a heart and give the guy a break until you know otherwise. Hopefully it wont be you in the future we are dropping money to.

Agree with that also.....................................But?????????????????????.....................in the end , you just never know

:o

I don't know whether the BKK beggar is still at his spot near some BTS station......but this guy made up to THB 30,000/month!!

I think it's embarassing, BUT it will give some Thai another view on farangs, especially those who associate farang with ATM constantly!

I don't know whether the BKK beggar is still at his spot near some BTS station......but this guy made up to THB 30,000/month!!

I think it's embarassing, BUT it will give some Thai another view on farangs, especially those who associate farang with ATM constantly!

30k a month he is doin ok then .......maybe hes not as poor as he makes out then ......i reckon there is not too many farangs like this in thailand.well at least i hope not .......ive heard of some poor down and outs living in a temple in korat with the monks

About 3-4 years ago I saw a farang busking outside the Pattaya Klang entrance to Carrefour.

He was playing a guitar and had a cup in front of him with some coins and bills.

Couldn't believe my eyes! I remember thinking to myself: How long will it take before the BIB come and get him?

Only saw him that one time.

About 3-4 years ago I saw a farang busking outside the Pattaya Klang entrance to Carrefour.

He was playing a guitar and had a cup in front of him with some coins and bills.

Couldn't believe my eyes! I remember thinking to myself: How long will it take before the BIB come and get him?

Only saw him that one time.

a rare sight alright ......pity for them