Oysters In Los.....

I love the oysters that are available everywhere in LOS....small, juicy, sweet things in a Thai omelette or good in stuffing a chicken. Have eaten them for years and no problems yet, never a bad one.......but I've always wondered where they come from.....Thailand, or maybe China??

Does anyone know where?? and if Thailand, where??

Seems everything comes from China.....food, plastic and lead toys, melamine etc. so they don't have to swim.

One thing I notice about the locally available oysters is that they are available all year long. In the states they are only available during the months with 'r', I think because of red tide??

Still wondering......

I'd like to know about local oysters as well...whenever I see 'em I sniff fer the briney smell and if acceptable will devour a dozen on the spot. The wife doesn't share my enthusiasm so she may know something I don't? I always thought that you needed cold waters for oysters an' there ain't none around here...

regarding availability of fresh oysters in the US around the SF bay area we get them year 'round from the famous oyster farm on Point Reyes (the entrance road is paved wid crushed oyster shells) an' I always thought them to be as tasty as them high falutin from the Olympic Peninsula. Wild North Coast California salmon is a tasty as any they got in Washington or Alaska as well...but gotta admit that wild scottish salmon is hard to beat...the wife likes it a lot...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

The little ones come from what look essentially like tiny little oyster shells but they act like barnacles. They grow on the rocks on the beach near my house. I can take a pic tomorrow if you'd like to see one?

As for the big oysters, I believe they are farmed, I am sure they have oyster farms in Surat Thani

The company I am working for does import fresh oysters from around the world, twice a week.

It's a big difference between the local ones and a fine de claire.

Just trying to explain my boss to be a sponsor here on TV, when it's done I am allowed to talk more about it.

Don't need another "holiday" from big G, better having a Heineken with him :o

Gerd

The company I am working for does import fresh oysters from around the world, twice a week.

Just trying to explain my boss to be a sponsor here on TV, when it's done I am allowed to talk more about it.

Gerd

gerd...whattaye know about the shipping process?...are any process gasses used for presevation or do they just pack 'em in ice and send them down the road?

Gerd

gerd...whattaye know about the shipping process?...are any process gasses used for presevation or do they just pack 'em in ice and send them down the road?

You can have both:

The ones in a flat plastic bag with gasses or the other fresh ones in a natural basket chilled with some ice.

Gerd

The oysters I was refering to in my OP are the ones that are available in small clear plastic containers in all [or most] superstores for 25-30THB per container, same kind they use in one of my favorite Thai dishes....Hoitot.

They are smallish, sweet and succulent, but my main concern is WHERE do they come from?? If China, i would have some concern about heavy metals. If the gulf of thailand, polution would be a concern, if the Andamin sea, I would be greatly releived.

Those sound like the ones I am talking about that grow on the rocks. I tend to buy mine from local women, didn't know the superstores sold them too.

Would you like a photo then jdguy?

Gerd

the small ones are OK but no match for imports.

The large Surat oysters are just amazing, and the belon and fin de Claire are garbage compared to them.

Especially as they have to travel from France, Ireland, NZ, Australia etc before you get them.

The large South Thai oysters taste amazing, and are amongst the best in the world.

Next, or similar I would say, are Belon, Bluff oysters (NZ) and Jervois bay "angassi" oysters.

Then, fin de Claire, Pacifics and Sydney rocks.

The small ones used for "hoi tord' I have never had any problems with, apart from the fact that some vendors cook them way too oily and eggy.

Tasty though, and I have never been sick from them myself.

As one of the others says, check for briny smell and not fishy smell if you want to be sure

Gerd

Are you in the company that imports the Oysters from Downunder and which are served at Witch's in Ruam Redee? If so....SUPER!

Gerd

Are you in the company that imports the Oysters from Downunder and which are served at Witch's in Ruam Redee? If so....SUPER!

Yes, we are.

Gerd

I can't really see the oysters, but the melons don't look too bad. :D

They come from Bacchus in Ruam Rudi. Well worth a visit for the food and the view.

:o

curious CS, are you a shareholder? this is like the 5th? time you have promoted this restaurant with your photos and glowing reviews? :D:D

I can't really see the oysters, but the melons don't look too bad. :D

They come from Bacchus in Ruam Rudi. Well worth a visit for the food and the view.

:o

curious CS, are you a shareholder? this is like the 5th? time you have promoted this restaurant with your photos and glowing reviews? :D:D

No. I just live next door. It is the closest place to dine out. Yes, the food is good as is the view.