Fedex/customs Overcharging

ajarnpim

not sure if this is the right forum but....

had a package fedexed from dubai some clothing value around 75AED the sender made a mistake on the delivery note and valued items at 750AED

Now fedex want 6000baht for the duty

they cant negotiate with them as Fedex have already paid the duty

if the sender had put 7 million baht as the value would fedex have paid 60% tax to the customs.

Now they say pay the tax or we destroy the package which is annoying.

anyone else experienced this

Had a similar experience with them. Told them to keep it, send it back or whatever and they waived the fees. Kept my little box of colon cleansing kit for about a week though before getting it all sorted out. Tell them to keep the stuff and see what happens

I had a similar problem with UPS where someone sent me a package from the USA when I was in Prague. The sender unnecessarily insured the package and customs hit me with a bill for more than the value of the goods. I called customs and was told that the sender could go to any UPS service counter and modify the commercial invoice/customs declaration (declare a gift) and it would automatically be transmitted to customs at the airport - which it was, and the package was delivered to me the next day - no fees.

You could try and see if you could do the same with FedEx.

Two good suggestions already given.

Terrible title on this thread. Fedex and customs are not overcharging according to the story presented. Custome are simply charging based on the information provided by the sender and Fedex paid it because the shipping contract said that you would reimburse them. The sender is the only one who has done something wrong.

Let the sender sort it out if they can even if it was your mother.

I avoid FedEx, DHL, UPS and other couriers because packages coming through them tend to get hit with higher customs duties, in my experience, than the cheaper, faster and more reliable alternative, EMS. I think the post office would be more willing to help you work out a typographic mistake like this than private couriers would as well.

> they cant negotiate with them as Fedex have already paid the duty

> anyone else experienced this

Yes. Simple solution: Don't use courier companies and especially not FedEx for inbound shipments, who seem worse than others.

Regular airmail baby, regular airmail. No tax, no pain. Back to the good old postman.

> they cant negotiate with them as Fedex have already paid the duty

> anyone else experienced this

Yes. Simple solution: Don't use courier companies and especially not FedEx for inbound shipments, who seem worse than others.

Regular airmail baby, regular airmail. No tax, no pain. Back to the good old postman.

Good advice... I might add to always have the sender declare a low value and "gift".