Phuket Roads Among Thailand's Most Dangerous

Felt 35

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 (Phuketgazette)

Phuket roads among Thailand's most dangerous

PHUKET CITY: Phuket is among Thailand’s top five provinces in terms of the number of road injuries and deaths each year, according Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Chalit Tinthanee.

Figures from state hospitals in Phuket show that in 2008 there were13,840 injuries and 136 deaths resulting from road accidents. Actual figures are significantly higher, as admissions to Phuket’s three private hospitals are not included.

There are three basic causes of road accidents: road conditions, vehicle condition and driver behavior. Phuket has 297,645 registered vehicles, of which 208,183 are motorcycles. This equates to roughly one vehicle per island resident, the highest rate of vehicle ownership of all the provinces in Thailand.

This is a main reason there are about 34 road accident injuries daily and about 15 deaths each month, according to Col Chalit.

The Phuket Provincial Police Traffic Center, launched in August 2008, is located in the Phuket Provincial Police Station and employs 15 police officers. They are tasked with collecting and analyzing road accident data to find ways to stem the carnage.

A large number of accidents occur at intersections where failure to stop at red lights is a major cause. Aggressive driving at intersections without stop lights is another common cause, Col Chalit said.

Police at Phuket Provincial Police Traffic Center are working to reduce these kinds of accidents by analyzing where and when they most frequently occur.

Phuket Police have increased the number of CCTV monitors, set up traffic light countdown displays together with traffic lights at seven new locations, co-ordinated with local government to have “cat’s eyes” planted into roads and set up blinking warning lights near U-turns and exits to small streets.

“The police approach to solving the problems is to use a method that fits with the danger spot, rather than casting a wide net, since every place is different. Phuket is a world-class tourist destination and Phuket police naturally don’t want to let tourists from all over the world come and lose their lives here,” Col Chalit added.

Phuket roads among Thailand's most dangerous

PHUKET CITY: Phuket is among Thailand’s top five provinces in terms of the number of road injuries and deaths each year, according Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Chalit Tinthanee.

Figures from state hospitals in Phuket show that in 2008 there were13,840 injuries and 136 deaths resulting from road accidents. Actual figures are significantly higher, as admissions to Phuket’s three private hospitals are not included.

There are three basic causes of road accidents: road conditions, vehicle condition and driver behavior. Phuket has 297,645 registered vehicles, of which 208,183 are motorcycles. This equates to roughly one vehicle per island resident, the highest rate of vehicle ownership of all the provinces in Thailand.

This is a main reason there are about 34 road accident injuries daily and about 15 deaths each month, according to Col Chalit.

The Phuket Provincial Police Traffic Center, launched in August 2008, is located in the Phuket Provincial Police Station and employs 15 police officers. They are tasked with collecting and analyzing road accident data to find ways to stem the carnage.

A large number of accidents occur at intersections where failure to stop at red lights is a major cause. Aggressive driving at intersections without stop lights is another common cause, Col Chalit said.

Police at Phuket Provincial Police Traffic Center are working to reduce these kinds of accidents by analyzing where and when they most frequently occur.

Phuket Police have increased the number of CCTV monitors, set up traffic light countdown displays together with traffic lights at seven new locations, co-ordinated with local government to have “cat’s eyes” planted into roads and set up blinking warning lights near U-turns and exits to small streets.

“The police approach to solving the problems is to use a method that fits with the danger spot, rather than casting a wide net, since every place is different. Phuket is a world-class tourist destination and Phuket police naturally don’t want to let tourists from all over the world come and lose their lives here,” Col Chalit added.

One major problem for the Police and driving schools is to persuade the majority of bike drivers that they DO NOT have priority nor should they dangerously position themselves in front of,by the side of and almost on top of other motor vehicles waiting at traffic lights; nor should they drive with more than two on a bike and they MUST wear helmets.
This is an ongoing problem and education is a part of it.
At the moment the police cast a blind eye at kids as young as ten or even less driving, sometimes with several mates on board. They are all accidents waiting to happen. The schools should monitor this. I know the excuse is "there is no public transport so they have to ride a bike to school"
so get the buses running!
The task is endless,but has to start soon otherwise accidents will increase and increase.

The above was scary and if correct mean that its worse now than ever!

Cupla years back, the tour guide in Saigon mentioned around 37 deaths a day on the roads in Vietnam.

Phuket not too bad.

Wonder what the whole of Thailand is.......

Gunna Google................

Thailand’s road deaths: 13,000 per year, over 80% involved m/cycles

I am pretty sure, one of the reasons is tourists driving a motobike for the first time in their life, no driving experience, driving on the "wrong" side of the road, wearing no helmet and so on. Next is all these motorbikes with broken taillights or no light at all. Countless illegally modified motorbikes with lots of power but no adequate brakes. I might go on and on, but that's the way it would sound like :o

Edited by hkt83100

Can't blame it all on the farangs.

I did the driving test 2 weeks ago and was the only farang there. Even at the test, it was total chaos. Everybody passed though.

I believe Thai people have a hard time understanding rules of the road and obeying anything.

Sure farangs sometimes drive in the wrong lane or drive drunk or aren't sure what to do in some situations, but most of my near misses have been from Thai's pulling out in front of me, beside me, or no lights front or back, and of course drunk or school kids showing off.

Luckily, i have been here 7 years now and have yet to have an accident. Some of it is luck, some of it is extreme caution at times.

Always expect the unexpected. ( I feel much safer in the jungle up in the hills though.)

No no... you have to go further back in time, when the young Thai kids (under 10) sit in front of the parent hanging onto the bike handlebars, learning how to drive (??) a bike. Thus the bad habits get transferred to even badder (I know, bad grammar) habits. Then much later on they drive a car and ... oh dear ...

Watching the Thai's trying to pass the car driving test is some of the best entertainment on the island, although quite sad in reality.

The day i took my car test, i was, once again the only Farang AND the only one who could park the car.

2 people got completely turned around, many knocked over the poles on the perimeter and nobody laughed. (except me)

All the Thai's had looks of horror on their faces.

Of course, they were next.

It is a real joke, this driving test. I don't know how many passed as i got out of their quickly but i know this: These people cannot park a car!

Then we have the 3 wheeled things.

They love driving out in the car lanes as if they too have graduated to a car.

What a traffic hazard they are, aye?

The police approach to solving the problems is to use a method that fits with the danger spot, rather than casting a wide net, since every place is different. Phuket is a world-class tourist destination and Phuket police naturally don’t want to let tourists from all over the world come and lose their lives here,” Col Chalit added.

use a method that fits with the danger spot, rather than casting a wide net,

Well if they use a net the problem is solved, but nobody left on the road to drive. :o

One major problem for the Police and driving schools is to persuade the majority of bike drivers that they DO NOT have priority nor should they dangerously position themselves in front of,by the side of and almost on top of other motor vehicles waiting at traffic lights...

Maybe you should ask the Land Transport Office to remove the recently installed "moto-cy only" zones at the head of the traffic light queues - marked "จยย".

It's no good fighting with moto-cys in Phuket Town City - they will always win.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Peoples must have a strong driving test or driving will never get better. I have licence for car and motorbike but when I have do in Nathon I not sit in a car or on a motorbike, only play something like a game and look at the different colours and have my licences. Easy but will always be the same. If must have the big test then will get better but even when no have licence you only must pay police 30 Baht and you can go again.

I have a theory.

All Thais drive motorbikes for many years before they end up driving a car.

When they start driving a car, they drive it the same way they did a motorbike.

This^^^^^^

The problem is that in the western world, we were introduced cars and learnt to drive as teenagers.

Most of the old Thai's would have only been introduced to the car maybe 30 years ago, if that.

It's a completely turnaround from a ox and cart.

Agreed Katasyd - long before Farangs came to Phuket your average Thai family would have used an old motorbike to get around and ferry the family/goods from a to b. Purely a means of transport. Simple.

Now there are big roads and internationals demanding driving standards ( as well as the Thai rich ) and the poor old average Thai family just still potters around with Granny, kids and rice etc on the bike as well as the driver.

Not every Thai has had the same opportunity to 'catch up' with modern/well off life on Phuket and what the car drivers should be doing is remembering that the motorbikes were there first.

:o

Phuket has 297,645 registered vehicles, of which 208,183 are motorcycles. This equates to roughly one vehicle per island resident, the highest rate of vehicle ownership of all the provinces in Thailand.

I think that there are several statistical errors here.

First, the denominator of this 1:1 ratio is understated. Foreigners, including legal residents, tourists, and temporary cross-border workers are not "residents" as defined for statistical purposes, neither are Thai workers who move to Phuket from elsewhere in Thailand but fail to change their official residence. Some estimate that those not included constitute upward of 50% of the actual population. This understatement of the denominator causes the rate to be artificially inflated.

Second, a number of persons in Phuket own more than one motorcycle. This number includes foreign residents - look at the parking areas in homes in areas which a large number of foreign residents - as well as Thai individuals and companies which own rental vehicles. While these factors might exist in other Thai provinces, Phuket, with its tourist concentrated economy, likely has these factors in a higher proportion to its actual population than other places.

These two factors cause Phuket traffic accident statistics to be overstated in my estimate. Despite these explanations, both provincial officials and the population in general should do everything they can to minimize the deaths and maiming arising from road accidents.

Second, a number of persons in Phuket own more than one motorcycle.
Just imagine a guesthouse, which has about 15 motorbikes for rent. These are all registered in one name... And for some places the 15 are underestimated.

It is amazing (well maybe not) that the Col. makes no mention of driver education as a way to help fix this problem but instead heads down the traffic lights, cats eyes and a task force to analyse the problem areas etc path.

I'm with Fiddlehead, the process of obtaining a license here is a complete joke and I was shocked (sadly entertained) when I had to witness it last year. This is root cause of the problem and the sooner the police and the transport department realise that educating new drivers in say a three step process of 3 month learners permit followed by practical driving test on real roads to then obtain a probationary license followed by 24 months conviction free record to obtain a full license will go a long way in making people understand and respect the art of driving safely the more lives will be saved.

How much longer can we go on accepting the carnage without tackling the education part.

It is amazing (well maybe not) that the Col. makes no mention of driver education as a way to help fix this problem but instead heads down the traffic lights, cats eyes and a task force to analyse the problem areas etc path.

I'm with Fiddlehead, the process of obtaining a license here is a complete joke and I was shocked (sadly entertained) when I had to witness it last year. This is root cause of the problem and the sooner the police and the transport department realise that educating new drivers in say a three step process of 3 month learners permit followed by practical driving test on real roads to then obtain a probationary license followed by 24 months conviction free record to obtain a full license will go a long way in making people understand and respect the art of driving safely the more lives will be saved.

How much longer can we go on accepting the carnage without tackling the education part.

agree.... the only way to combat this problem is better education

1) introduce the CBT motor cycle test that they have in the UK

2) Impose the law that NO under 16's can drive a motor bike

3) Impose heavily the motor cycle helmet law ( not just check points )

4) .............. if they start with the above first, then we can contunie

If they really wanted to make things safer besides what is mentioned above, they would actually enforce the law in regards to the 3 wheeled menaces powered by a 110 cc engine with no lights and always going the wrong way, making those of us going the right way to move over into oncoming traffic. These 3 wheeled POS's are dangerous, and the funny thing here in Rawai is, you see a ton of foreigners on them riding and behaving just like the locals.  Sad indeed.

If they really wanted to make things safer .....................

That's the big question isn't it?

IF?

I sometimes wonder if this is their way of filtering the gene pool.

Simply enforcing the traffic rules would probably cut the deaths in half after the culprits get it through their head.

Education without enforcing doesn't matter a whole lot does it?

• 5 weeks later...

I suspect we've all seen the situation with 3 youths on a m/c with the rider either phoning or texting, and the schools, why no education in the skills required to ride a m/c, after all the excuse that kids need to ride to school really should not hold sway with anyone and surprise surprise they actually provide parking spaces for what is often under aged and therefor illegal riding of m/cs, if these kids have an accident how can they possibly be insured, I bet if they are at fault you will struggle to get any recompense, another thing, the times I have to stop at a road block and see adults getting done for no helmets while these under aged kids get let off.

Bring in a proper test requiring the necessary skills to drive safely for all vehicles.