A First-hand Account From Sumatra

Boon Mee

A First-Hand Account From Sumatra

What follows are excerpts from an email home by a Navy Commander who serves on the USS Abraham Lincoln and is flying helicopter missions in support of tsunami survivors in Aceh. This gives a reliable, first-hand account of the extent of the devastation there, and of the great work being done by our armed forces - Aussie & Yank.

[W]hat you've seen on TV or in the newspapers can't even begin to give you an idea of the scope of the tragedy visited upon the people of Sumatra. I have flown over the vast majority of the affected area, and it is simply mind boggling. ... The charts that we use to navigate with as we fly just aren't accurate anymore. We go to where the charts tell us a town is located, and there is nothing there. ... Whole towns of up to 10,000 people simply do not exist anymore. The only evidence of there having ever been families going about their daily lives are the scattered concrete slabs where their homes used to be. ... Now imagine this as you fly down the coast for over a hundred and forty miles. As I write this, the CO of the Abraham Lincoln is speaking over the ship's intercom system about how survivors relate that the wave that struck them was over 60 feet in height.

Unfortunately, I was not able to fly my first mission until the sixth day of the relief effort because I was assigned to the Combined Task Force Headquarters in U-Tapao, Thailand as a liaison officer to the HQ from the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group. My first drop of supplies was in a town called Keude Tenom, about 70 miles south of Banda Aceh, where relief supplies are being staged for further transport to the affected areas. We landed in what used to be a small field just on the outside of the town. Hearing the helicopter approach, I was amazed to see approximately 100 people materialize out of nowhere and surround my helicopter. You could see the weariness in their eyes even through the excitement of seeing the 2,500 pounds of rice we were delivering to them. They immediately rushed to the side of the helicopter where one of my crewmen was doing his best to unload this precious cargo as quickly as possible. I distinctly remember seeing an older woman with a baby on her hip as she stood to the side of the crowd looking longingly at the 40 pound bags of rice being taken away. As we took off, I could only hope that she and that baby would be able to share in the simple rice that we had left behind.

As is always the case, it is the personal contact that you have with the people you see in these situations that leave the biggest impression, and I will relate three events from my flight today. I was leading a flight of two helicopters that each had 2,000 pounds worth of chocolate milk on board. This cargo was going to an orphanage in the town of Lamno, about 25 miles southeast of Banda Aceh. As we landed, the children poured out of the orphanage and lined the soccer field that we landed on. The teachers from the orphanage immediately formed a line to help us offload our cargo. Once the offload was complete and we began to take off, several of the children rushed under the helos in order to have the rotor wash send them tumbling along the ground. The joy on their faces at such a simple pleasure after what they had just endured brought a smile to my face, and I was happy if, even for a moment, I was able to make them forget the catastrophe they had witnessed.

The second instance invoved a group of about 10 people that we saw on the coastal road. ... We sighted these people on a stretch of road approximately 2 miles long, and decided to try to offer them a ride to Banda Aceh. The stretch of road that they were on was cut on both ends by new channels several hundred yards wide as a result of the tsunami, effectively eliminating any hope of them being able to leave this road by any means other than helicopter or boat. ... One of my crewmen got out to offer the ride, and to his surprise was greeted by a boy no older than 10 who spoke English almost as well as he did. The boy, translating for the adults around him, said that they couldn't go. This was their home and they needed to stay, but asked if we had any food or water for them. Sadly, we had given the last of our supplies out at our previous drop zone. It broke my heart to have to leave them with nothing, but I've made a promise to myself that tomorrow, I will visit them again, and I will make sure they have some rice and water to keep them going for a few more days.

The last event was my last drop before returning to the Lincoln to turn the aircraft over to the next crew. There is a small village in the highlands just east of where a town was erased from the island. In this village, there were some tents and ramshackle attempts made to shelter the villagers from the rains and oppressive heat that visit them every day. We landed in what seemed to be a small field behind a barn. As has become usual, within a few minutes of landing, about 60 people, at least half of whom were children, appeared out of nowhere to help unload. Unlike most of the places I've been, however, these villagers were more controlled and polite to a fault. They immediately set about the task of unloading, and we were done in about 5 minutes. Just before we took off, on of the men looked me in the eye as I sat in the cockpit, put his hands together, nodded his head, and smiled.

This wouldn't be complete without me saying a word about the dedication of the service members from not only the US, but from all over the area who are working to alleviate the suffering. Every morning we take 80 volunteers from the carrier to stand all day at the soccer field next to the airport in Banda Aceh that we are using as a landing field and load helicopters. The heat and humidity can be stunning, but they labor all day and not only do not complain, but seem to be almost joyous as they work. Today I saw not only our sailors, but also soldiers from the Australian Army labor all day to ensure that the work gets done. Additionally, the Aussies have sent a team of air traffic controllers to the airport at Banda Aceh, bringing a bit of order to the chaos that had existed previously and would undoubtedly have led to an aircraft mishap.

Let me end this by saying what an honor it is for me to be given the privilege of serving with the men and women of Helicopter Antisubmarine Squadron TWO . They work long hours ensuring that our helos are ready to go every day, and then ask what more they can do to help. ... These people deserve the respect of every American who sleeps peacefully at night knowing that their freedoms are safeguarded by truly dedicated individuals.

This officer's perspective is very different from that of the diplomats who write The Diplomad, but his observations closely mirror theirs. :o

Edited by Boon Mee

A friend of mine went to Aceh last week with Alwi Shihab.

What is there are representatives of Moslem companies , with no real track record, who will get the lucrative job of reconstruction.

Also, there are more "marginal" Islamic groups looking for ways to channel funds....

(i.e your donations could end up paying for Osama's manicure)

A friend of mine went to Aceh last week with Alwi Shihab.

What is there are representatives of Moslem companies , with no real track record, who will get the lucrative job of reconstruction.

Also, there are more "marginal" Islamic groups looking for ways to channel funds....

(i.e your donations could end up paying for Osama's manicure)

Sure hope not - what a thought! :o