To 'disable' Dht Or Not... That Is The Question?

CosmicSurfer

I use uTorrent and it installs with DHT Enabled as a Default.

A Private Tracker that I'm a member of wants me to Disable 'DHT' so the tracker an accurately calculate my seed ratio (under the threat of having my membership revoked for a too low Ratio.)

The tracker is recording my uploads but I have no way of knowing if the numbers are accurate.

They say the numbers may not be with DHT Enabled.

What's your Feeling.... To Disable DHT... Or Not ????

CS

Definitely disable DHT, Local Peer Discovery and Peer Exchange. They will all cause you problems with private trackers if enabled. Also force outgoing encryption and allow incoming legacy connections.

Thanks.

Yes, this is what The Private Tracker said...

But it makes me wonder Why uTorrents enables it by Default, and what effect disabling it will have on my current downloads?

The private tracker also says that having it 'Enabled' can lead to a secutrity problem.

Just trying to learn and understand,

CS

As long as the tracker(s) are available it won't make much different to the downloads. It's when the tracker(s) are down when it's a problem.

The biggest disadvantage of torrents is that when a tracker is down, you can't download anything. With DHT, if the tracker goes down, or there's simply no tracker at all, downloading can still happen. It's called "trackerless" because there doesn't have to be any usage of a traditional tracker!

The DHT makes no guarantees on how reliable it will be, but it requires no resources at all from the publisher. Also, a dedicated tracker lets you collect statistics about the download, where DHT does not.

DHT, distributed "tracker" (hash table),

1) allows non-emp users to download emp torrents, allowing them to do whatever the hel_l they want and not be held accountable for it.

2) The client forces it on you and keeps DHT "seeded" even when the tracker is up.

3) It will share your passkey, enabling other people to download torrents masquerading as you.

But it makes me wonder Why uTorrents enables it by Default, and what effect disabling it will have on my current downloads?

Because the vast majority of uTorrent users are using public trackers that don't track (technically they do track them, but they're not important) ratios or use private passkeys. You won't notice any significant effect on your downloads.

The private tracker also says that having it 'Enabled' can lead to a secutrity problem.

As Tywais has stated 'It will share your passkey, enabling other people to download torrents masquerading as you.' This will get you banned very quickly from a private tracker.