Living Without Work Visa

I recently moved to Bangkok from abroad. I possibly have a position with a well regarded company. However, I will not be issued a work permit.

Working without a work permit concerns me greatly. I am concerned about such things as taxes...how do I declare income if I am not working legally. If I don't declare income, wont immigration get suspicious if I am living in Bkk for many years without any income. Is there not an income form one has to fill out when you leave Thailand.

How do companies pay you when you don't have a work permit? When I am negotiating my contract, what extras should i ask for, considering I am not legally going to be an employee? Can I still ask for benefits like health?

Any advice on working/living without a work permit would be greatly appreciated.

I especially could use some advice on what to ask for during negotiations. I have never had to do that before.

A few questions that relate directly to giving you meaningful advice:

1. What is your nationality?

2. What is your age?

3. Will you be bringing accompanying family members?

4. What sort of housing arrangement are you planning to establish?

5. Will your job or lifestyle make it relatively painless to depart and reenter Thailand at least once every 90 days?

6. Does your employer already have any sort of business entity or affiliate inside hailand?

Those for starters. If you reply, I will then provide my thoughts.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

I recently moved to Bangkok from abroad.  I possibly have a position with a well regarded company.  However, I will not be issued a work permit.

Working without a work permit concerns me greatly.  I am concerned about such things as taxes...how do I declare income if I am not working legally.  If I don't declare income, wont immigration get suspicious if I am living in Bkk for many years without any income.  Is there not an income form one has to fill out when you leave Thailand. 

How do companies pay you when you don't have a work permit?  When I am negotiating my contract, what extras should i ask for, considering I am not legally going to be an employee?  Can I still ask for benefits like health?

Any advice on working/living without a work permit would be greatly appreciated.

I especially could use some advice on what to ask for during negotiations.  I have never had to do that before.

Any reputable company would offer a work permit. Take the job without if you wish BUT remember if you are caught out then you will probably be deported, your choice.

Ask them why they will not offer the WP.

Any reputable company would offer a work permit. Take the job without if you wish BUT remember if you are caught out then you will probably be deported, your choice.

Ask them why they will not offer the WP.

I am sorry that is just not true.

I live in Thailand and do contract work for a major international computer manufacturer.

I travel outside Thailand for the work.

There is work here in Thailand, but the company cannot be bothered to get a work permit for short periods.

I am not willing to risk my status by working illegally.

This week I am working in Jakarta, and my Indonesian colleague is working in Bangkok.

How stupid is that!!

It cost them two sets of airfares because they are not willing to follow the rules!!

A few questions that relate directly to giving you meaningful advice:

1.  What is your nationality?

2.  What is your age?

3.  Will you be bringing accompanying family members?

4.  What sort of housing arrangement are you planning to establish?

5.  Will your job or lifestyle make it relatively painless to depart and reenter Thailand at least once every 90 days?

6. Does your employer already have any sort of business entity or affiliate inside hailand?

Those for starters.  If you reply, I will then provide my thoughts.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Thanks for the reply.

1. I am Dual Canadian/British

2. I am 29 Years old

3. I recently married a Thai girl that I met in University

4. We are renting an apt

5. It should not be a problem to leave and come back at least once every 90 days

6. Yes, they are both local consulting firms based in Bangkok

OK, - I presume that you are legally married to a Thai, with Thai marriage registration - and that you live together with your wife.

If you can muster up 400,000 baht outside Thailand to start (which you will then remit into Thailand, into a Thai bank account bearing your passport name), and if you will be paid at least 40,000 baht per month from an employer outside Thailand, then,

What you need to do is:

1) Travel to Thai diplomatic post outside Thailand (if you are still in home country, get from local Embassy or Consulate, otherwise if you are already in Thailand, Penang is a good choice), and apolly for a non-immigrnt Class O visa, based on marriage toa thai spouse.

2) Upon entry into Thailand with that visa, you will be given a 90 day entry permit. Proceed to open up a Thai bank account beraing your passport name, and remit 400,000 baht from outside Thailand into that account. Note: You are then free to use that money.

3) When you are within 30 days of expiration of your 90 day entry permit, apply for a long-term extension of that permit, based on supporting a Thai spouse. They will check your documentation for 400,000 baht remitted from outside Thailand. Your wife must accompany you to Immigration at the time you submit your application - and an Immigration field inspector will probably visit your residence - and may even snap some photos of you and wife at home. After 40 days, you will be issued a "one-year" extension - valid until one year from the date you entered on the original entry permit. Each year thereafter,you will have to demonstrate that you have brought in 400,000 baht from outside Thailand each year, to obtain annual renewals.

As long as you are receiving your pay outside Thailand, and then remitting it into Thailand yourself, you are basically in good shape. If you will mostly work from home, and saty out of trouble, no one will bother you. It helps mkae you "invisible" if you travel regularly outside Thailand for more than a couple of days - make sure you get a re-entry permit before departing though, or your entry permit will be cancelled.

My company would be happy to help guide you through this process.

If you cannot muster the initial 400,000 baht, then there is another approach you can take - involving getting a one-year, multiple-entry Class O visa, and then just making border crossing runs every 90 days. We can discuss that further - if the initial 400,000 baht is a problem.

Cheers!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com