What Exactly Is A "gik"?

dudeyone

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahahaha, so is it ok to ask a girl to be your gik? Wonder if it goes down well when you basically ask her If she wants a shag. Suppose you would be getting straight to the point.

Only one way to find out, good luck.

What is a Gik? Is it like a F buddy? Or open relationship? I am asking a thai girl to be my gik. I really dont see her being my girlfriend but wouldnt mind some companion fun.

I was told by a Thai friend that it is a "girl friend on the side"...what we would call a friend with benefits. The implication is that you meet for sex and whatever....no strings attached.

Why wasn't I told about giks 10 years ago on my first visit? Once again lonely planet has let me down.

LP is of more use if you're looking to meet other men.

now thats funny

WOW, Times have changed, I remember just getting really excited when a girl let me hold her hand to cross the road....normally didnt happen for the first dozen dates or so.....i remember the first time it happened, i got a bit of a 'stiffy' and nearly couldnt walk to cross the street :o

• Like 1

My understanding is a 'gik' is a second wife, a woman on the side so to speak. It's not necessarily a sexual term but implies she's a second partner to a more permanent one. And from what I hear in practice the man usually gives some financial support. Seems to me most relationships are based on security and so one would expect the 'gik' to be in it for the benfits, rather than the pleasure.

My understanding is a 'gik' is a second wife, a woman on the side so to speak. It's not necessarily a sexual term but implies she's a second partner to a more permanent one. And from what I hear in practice the man usually gives some financial support. Seems to me most relationships are based on security and so one would expect the 'gik' to be in it for the benfits, rather than the pleasure.

That sounds like a "Mia Noi" = minor wife

Prevalent in Thailand, I have heard of it in Taiwan & China. I have only seen it practced in Thailand.

I thought a second wife/partner,who you support,with the wife knowing most times,is a mia noi.

Well.... they are! In a way.

Sue hay condo - you baeb HISO - Noo Chawp - Chawp. translated as "buy me a condo so I can live well - I really like that" from a popular song by Yui...

A fuc_k-buddy, yes. So much is true. But you still have to shell out the baht.. :o

Uh, no. That would make him/her a whore.

Edited by toybits

A fuc_k-buddy, yes. So much is true. But you still have to shell out the baht.. :o

So true! From what I have experienced it's a lot of wedge too!!!

New phones, new clothes, new shoes it's easier to visit a goldfish bowl!!

Uh, no. That would make him/her a whore.

of course but they think they are posh/hi-so when they do it this way.Been said on here many times how much is going on with uni students and mainly older thai men,and these guys are basicly sponsoring them not having a gf.Go on the dating sites and its full of them,its a great laugh betting on how many minutes it takes for a uni student to ask for money.If my gf was educated and uni student i wouldnt come on here bragging about it,they still have the same language,

where you go

what you do

where you from

money for me pelase