Burin Kantabutra

john b good

PostBag Saturday 07.03.2009

Focus on the bikers

I agree with businessmen who say that Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nopamornbode's options on a Songkran booze ban are all useless. The goal is to prevent road accidents during Songkran, yet no alternative directly concerns driving under the influence.

The ministry mandarins can only think of blanket bans of alcohol sales, as if all buyers must consume immediately, and drive while they do so.

To me, the ministry exemplifies what Albert Einstein had in mind when he said, "Perfection of means and confusion of goals seem to characterise our age."

Statistics from past holidays tell us ad nauseam that most fatalities involve motorcycles, on secondary roads, with helmet-less drivers. So, have flying squads with breath analysers roam the roads, especially secondary ones. Boost the number of squads by deputising civilians, under direct police control and self-financed from fines levied (with receipts).

Not enough breath analysers? If a driver challenges his arrest/fine based on visual evidence (e.g. inability to walk a straight line), have him blow into a balloon, then take him to the closest station to test what's in the balloon.

If somebody is helmet-less, charge him 500 baht (with receipt) for a coupon redeemable for a 300-baht helmet at the nearest participating dealer (the 200-baht difference helps finance the flying squad).

Deputy Minister, clear up your confusion about goals, then perfect your means.

BURIN KANTABUTRA

PostBag Saturday 07.03.2009

Focus on the bikers

[snipped to save space]

Statistics from past holidays tell us ad nauseam that most fatalities involve motorcycles, on secondary roads, with helmet-less drivers. So, have flying squads with breath analysers roam the roads, especially secondary ones. Boost the number of squads by deputising civilians, under direct police control and self-financed from fines levied (with receipts).

Not enough breath analysers? If a driver challenges his arrest/fine based on visual evidence (e.g. inability to walk a straight line), have him blow into a balloon, then take him to the closest station to test what's in the balloon.

If somebody is helmet-less, charge him 500 baht (with receipt) for a coupon redeemable for a 300-baht helmet at the nearest participating dealer (the 200-baht difference helps finance the flying squad).

Oh dear, where to start? "Bikers" Does this mean "scooters" or "big bikes"? Because while I know about a handful of motorcycle deaths per year, I also know of over 24,000 scooter deaths per year (last year of stats, 2006). So could we be a bit more clear?

Oh dear, self-financed volunteers? Financed from their fines (with receipts, thank you very much) and nothing else?

Oh dear, blow into a balloon and let's get that right to the squad room, and let's make sure our volunteers don't screw up the chain of evidence at, during, or after the analyses.

Oh dear, charge someone 500 baht to make him buy a 300 baht helmet which disintegrates on impact? Or flies off before impact because it either wasn't fastened or was fastened incorrectly?

Khun Burin, I take it you're not a biker - at least, not on a big bike. The riders of scooters - dying at the rate of 65 per DAY in Thailand - as a group, tend to make a farce of the law. Half of those who die do not wear helmets. We don't have the statistics on how many vegetables were created each year by not wearing a helmet. The stereotypical Thai scooter riders, as a generality, ride through red lights, ride on the wrong side of the road, ride on unsafe vehicles, ride without lights on day or night, ride with up to four people on board, and generally exhibit death-wish behaviour. Just because it's a stereotype doesn't mean it's not true - look at the statistics. 65 people a day - how many underage kids in that group? About half. 32 kids a day - one classroom full of kids per day - die in scooter 'accidents'.

The laws are in place for safety; enforcing drink-driving laws or helmet laws that already exist is a good start. But enforcement of all motor vehicle laws concerning scooters by existing police makes more sense.

Edited by noahvail

Oh dear, where to start? ...

[snipped to save space]

:o Indeed, where to start. Let me guess... you've got a big bike and now your knickers are in a twist because someone used the word "biker" (implying you lot of oh so sophisticated and competent bike riders) rather than "moto-cy riders".

As much as you may want to reserve this word to mean riders of "big" bikes, it doesn't mean that, as I'm sure the majority of people who read the article understood.

Oh dear, where to start? ...

[snipped to save space]

:o Indeed, where to start. Let me guess... you've got a big bike and now your knickers are in a twist because someone used the word "biker" (implying you lot of oh so sophisticated and competent bike riders) rather than "moto-cy riders".

As much as you may want to reserve this word to mean riders of "big" bikes, it doesn't mean that, as I'm sure the majority of people who read the article understood.

Actually, no, I don't own a big bike. Nor do I own a scooter. But yeah, good guess anyway. I never knew the term 'big bike' till I moved to Thailand.

Maybe you're right about "the majority of people who read the article understood" - but why not clarify to ensure *everybody* understands?

Meh - mai bpen rai

... I never knew the term 'big bike' till I moved to Thailand...

Same here, and obviously used to distinguish real motorbikes from the "moto-cy's" and scooters.

But, back on topic, the worst culprits IMO are the idiots who throw water at moving bikes on major roads. It would be very easy for the police to catch them as there's a big puddle right in front of where they are!

But how much money would they have on them? Nothing in it for the BiB. :o