The Alphabet Game

lordsux

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been stuck a while so here's a cr@p pic to jump start the thread (yeah I know all mine have been cr@p but this one's especially so.

Menara KL and Zouk nightclub.

post-34490-1239196100_thumb.jpg

edit by Kan Win

Zzzzzzzzz is also for sleepy, :D as it took so long to download to view this good photo, see if you Kan re-size your photos which are not half bad I must say. :o

Edited by Kan Win

Thanks for that great compliment Vulcan. Coming from someone that I regard as an authority gives the compliment even more weight.

I would love to make money from that shot or any of my shots, unfortunately I think that any agency would require a model release before even considering it. The thing about that shot that draws me to it is funnily enough the background, it's as if a color remover tool has been used although it hasn't, if I remember I think the only PP done was Auto Exposure. I will rework the original and repost it when that thought catches up on me.

I have delved into the realms of stock photography, photo on demand and product photography recently and have learnt a great deal about the requirements that must be met and how to license images properly. I know it's never a good idea to turn a hobby into a way to 'hopefully' make a living, but my alternatives are not exactly a bundle of fun either at the moment.

Photography has enabled me to see my relatively confined world in a whole new way. Hopefully it will eventually sustain me. I like to share what I shoot, I don't see the point in keeping the life and feelings that we all hope to capture with each and every shot in a little folder on My Desktop.

People connect with images, images connect people, they always have done and always will do. You can never have too many connections eh?

PS. I had a nice connection a while back with your image of Polperro, childhood memories and all that, great photo. I mentally complimented you but don't think I actually passed it on, until now that is....and while I have your full attention I must let you know that I absolutely hate your avatar so much for some unknown reason that I must avert my glance when you randomly appear on my screen. To me that is a tell tale sign of a great image.

Anyway....all that......just to say thx for the compliment :o

Model releases for future use

Adult Model Release

In consideration of my engagement as a model, upon the terms herewith stated, I hereby give to (your name) his/her heirs, legal representatives and assigns, those for whom (your name) here is acting, and those acting with his/her authority and permission:

a) the unrestricted right and permission to copyright and use, re-use, publish, and republish photographic portraits or pictures of me or in which I may be included intact or in part, composite or distorted in character or form, without restriction as to changes or transformations in conjunction with my own or a fictitious name, or reproduction hereof in color or otherwise, made through any and all media now or hereafter known for illustration, art, promotion, advertising, trade, or any other purpose whatsoever.

:o I also permit the use of any printed material in connection therewith.

c) I hereby relinquish any right that I may have to examine or approve the completed product or products or the advertising copy or printed matter that may be used in conjunction therewith or the use to which it may be applied.

d) I hereby release, discharge and agree to save harmless [photographer], his/her heirs, legal representatives or assigns, and all persons functioning under his/her permission or authority, or those for whom he/she is functioning, from any liability by virtue of any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion, or use in composite form whether intentional or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in the taking of said picture or in any subsequent processing thereof, as well as any publication thereof, including without limitation any claims for libel or invasion of privacy.

e) I hereby affirm that I am over the age of majority and have the right to contract in my own name. I have read the above authorization, release and agreement, prior to its execution; I fully understand the contents thereof. This agreement shall be binding upon me and my heirs, legal representatives and assigns.

Dated: _____________________________________

Signed:_____________________________________

Address:____________________________________

City:_______________________________________

State/Zip:____________________________________

Phone:______________________________________

Witness:_____________________________________

Minor Model Release

For valuable consideration, I hereby confer on (your name) the absolute and irrevocable right and permission with respect to the photographs that he/she has taken of my minor child in which he/she may be included with others:

a) To copyright the same in (your name) or any other name that he/she may select;

:D To use, re-use, publish and re-publish the same in whole or in part, separately or in conjunction with other photographs, in any medium now or hereafter known, and for any purpose whatsoever, including (but not by way of limitation) illustration, promotion, advertising and trade, and;

c) To use my name or my child’s name in connection therewith if he/she so decides.

I hereby release and discharge (your name) from all and any claims and demands ensuing from or in connection with the use of the photographs, including any and all claims for libel and invasion of privacy.

This authorization and release shall inure to the benefit of the legal representatives, licensees and assigns of photographer (your name) as well as the person(s) for whom he/she took the photographs.

I have read the foregoing and fully understand the contents hereof. I represent that I am the [parent/guardian] of the above named model. For value received, I hereby consent to the foregoing on his/her behalf.

Dated: _______________________________________

Minor's Name:__________________________________

Parent or Guardian:_______________________________

Address:______________________________________

City:__________________________________________

State/Zip:______________________________________

Phone:________________________________________

Witness:_______________________________________

Query??

Does one need a model release for a photo taken in a public place??

How do the press manage with the riot pictures??

Track down all the rioters and police to sign up................ :o

Query??

Does one need a model release for a photo taken in a public place??

How do the press manage with the riot pictures??

Track down all the rioters and police to sign up................ :o

From Wikipdedia

'A model release, known in similar contexts as a liability waiver, is a legal release typically signed by the subject of a photograph granting permission to publish the photograph in one form or another. The legal rights of the signatories in reference to the material is thereafter subject to the allowances and restrictions stated in the release, and also possibly in exchange for compensation paid to the photographed.

Publishing an identifiable photo of a person without a model release signed by that person can result in civil liability for whomever publishes the photograph.

Note that the photographer is typically not the publisher of the photograph, but sells the photograph to someone else to publish. Liability rests solely with the publisher, except under special conditions. It is typical for the photographer to obtain the model release because he is merely present at the time and can get it, but also because it gives him more opportunity to sell the photograph later to a party who wishes to publish it. Unless a photo is actually published, the need (or use) of a model release is undefined. And, since some forms of publication do not require a model release (e.g., news articles), the existence (or non-existence) of a release is irrelevant.

Note that the issue of model release forms and liability waivers is a legal area related to privacy and is separate from copyright. Also, the need for model releases pertains to public use of the photos: i.e., publishing them, commercially or not. The act of taking a photo of someone in a public setting without a model release, or of viewing or non-commercially showing such a photo in private, generally does not create legal exposure, at least in the United States.

The legal issues surrounding model releases are complex and vary by jurisdiction. Although the risk to photographers is virtually nil (so long as proper disclosures of the existence of a release, and its content is made to whoever licenses the photo for publication), the business need for having releases rises substantially if the main source of income from the photographer's work lies within industries that would require them (such as advertising). In short, photo journalists never need to obtain model releases for images they shoot for (or sell to) news or qualified editorial publications.

Photographers who also publish images need releases to protect themselves, but there is a distinction between making an image available for sale (even via a website), which is not considered publication in a form that would require a release, and the use of the same image to promote a product or service in a way that would require a release.

Regardless of legal issues, taking someone's picture without his/her permission may be considered impolite and may provoke a hostile response, so the photographer should take such matters into consideration and ask permission if appropriate.'

And from a stock photo site

When do I need a model release?

If the images that you are submitting have an identifiable human face, then you will need a model release.

Do I need a model release if I’m the only one in the picture?

Yes, every valid image on iStockphoto with an identifiable person (or face) requires a model release. This includes; the deceased, self-portraits, children (minors), movie stars, political leaders, etc.

How do I get a model release for a deceased relative?

The executor of the person’s estate would have to sign. If there is no executor, a family member, preferably the next of kin, would have to sign on behalf of the deceased relative.

So basically a release is required if there is a recognizable face on the image and you want to make money from it, unless it's published as a news story.

Forgot to mention that a release is sometimes required if you intend to sell images which include some iconic buildings, landmarks, monuments, artworks, trademarks and architecturally significant structures. This release is known as a 'property release'. For example, if you intended to commercially benefit from images of the Sydney Opera House then a 'property release' would be required.

Another example could be that you wanted to sell an image of a bunch of flowers standing in a 'Georg Jensen' vase, a property release would most probably be required for the vase.

Anyway, anyone have a G?

Edited by lordsux

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...