Cops Eating Free At Restaurants

junkofdavid2

To all the restaurateurs in the Forum...

1) Do cops generally eat "for free" at restaurants here, especially if in uniform?

2) Do they "throw their weight around" or "hint" that they eat free if they enter restaurants? (whether big or small restaurants, farang or thai owned/runned).

3) Generally, even if they don't "throw weight around" nor "hint", is it customary for restaurant owners to "mai pen rai" the bill?

4) Does your Thai staff hesitate to give the cops the 'chekbin', especially if they're in a big group and/or high ranking (many stars on the shoulder, etc.)

What's it like in your experience? :o

I'm not a restauranteur but I have been to a few opening nights for restaurants, bars and clubs. There is generally a top table reserved for the police and local political VIP's. The script seems to be a bottle of Chivas Regal between two persons, everyone on that table gets served first before the rabble are allowed their go at the buffet. As for paying, I doubt if any of these people even have any money on them, I certainly have never seen a policeman reach for his wallet with the intention of extracting money.

So, far from being surprised if the police ate for free I'd be gobsmacked (astounded) if it turns out they didn't.

And as the other respondents have said, this is normal in many more countries than Thailand and includes so called developed western countries. I have never seen a skinny policeman.

I know in Oz they used to eat half price at Maccas, there was a 'Police' button on the register which halved the bill. The reasoning was that having the police regularly driving through would act as a visual deterrent to would-be villians.

I'd have to say yes in my experience. And no they don't need to have their uniforms on. I've been with undercover cops around Khao San and they certainly had a good time with no check bin.

Another time in a different area of BKK I was out with them and they did pay.

Then another time we went to a big club with live music, got greeted by the owner, then Thai geusts were promptly relocated from the best table in the joint to make way fir us and we ate and drank all night for free!

Not sure about the regular cops but it would seem location and back scratching dictates whether there's a bill or not.

• 1 month later...

When I do my police volunteer work in Patong, I stop after a couple of hours at The Pizza Co. for a cold drink (iced tea, not beer!). In 2 years, I have never managed to get the staff to accept my payment!

Next week I'm going to order an extra large Pizza, ice-cream and first choice of the female staff ..... :o

Simon

Its the same the world over. I owned 2 busy Cafes in the UK both hardly ever had Police customers as i told my staff to charge them even if it was just a cup of tea. I was fully licensed, paid my taxes and had no reason whatsoever to give 'freebies' to the old bill. My competitor was 2 miles away, that was where they Police went for the freebies, good, as having many Police cars parked in the car park simply made paying customers come to my business. We was a running business not a charity for the boys in blue.

i dont know about anywhere else but the cops in chiang mai used to get any soft drink , water , coffeee etc in all 7 elevens free.

they even get the drink in special police cups with the round what looks like a shield with a sort of sword going accross it

dave2

When I do my police volunteer work in Patong, I stop after a couple of hours at The Pizza Co. for a cold drink (iced tea, not beer!). In 2 years, I have never managed to get the staff to accept my payment!

Next week I'm going to order an extra large Pizza, ice-cream and first choice of the female staff ..... :D

Simon

Ask them for "discount sheets" instead :o:D:D

well i've seen the bib collecting their regular checkbin, know what i mean.

Previously when I was in Bkk the owner of my apartment block would have the cops in on

a regular basis for a chat and the free whiskey of course. Also those who had the cops in on the regular

could open their bars much more often than those who didnt as one person already mentioned.

Its part of the protection. You scratch my back... :o

I know in Oz they used to eat half price at Maccas, there was a 'Police' button on the register which halved the bill. The reasoning was that having the police regularly driving through would act as a visual deterrent to would-be villians.

Not only are they welcomed into Maccas but some Macca outlets have also provided a "police only" parking space for their vehicles.

Give'em the bill just like anyone else, unless your business is a front for illegal activities.

We don't own any restaurants here but from friends that do, it's totally your call whether you want to treat these folks or not. I have one friend who never charges cops for JUST coffee and soft drinks, limit one per BIB, and charges for all other menu items.

:o

As a 16 year old in Aust. my older brother had a few friends who became cops.

I ended up better friends with them than my brother.

I was quite tall for a 16 year old, so when I went to the night clubs with the cops we all went in together, the real cops showed their badges, I just said I left mine at home but my number is XXXX.

We always got in for free when others had to pay the cover charge.

Like a previous poster said, the clubs (McD) liked having cops there, it gave them a sense of security.

Not sure what I could have done as a 16 year old cop though.

Anyway, I think it is probably fairly common throughout the world.