Recent Dining Experiences - Reviews

cochran

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ That's the Cherrys everybody is talking about. It is excellent.

A chef and some of the serving staff from Brunos broke away to start Cherrys is my understanding. So you get Brunos style and quality of cuisine at more down to earth prices (and more simple but still nice atmosphere). I agree, don't know how they serve what they do for the prices they charge...they say its beef but I've noticed few soi dogs in that area...phut len :)

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the food at Bob's BBQ has steadily gone downhill over the last 6 months or so ?

Have even heard stories of the place running out of french fries and ribs, god knows how an American style restaurant can run out of these 2 items ?

On Friday night, my girlfriend and I decided it was time to try another new restaurant. Casa Pascal was on the list, so we went there for dinner.

The atmosphere and decor in this place are very nice, easily on par with Bruno's or Manhattans or Mata Hari. Lots of exposed, polished wood, nice table settings, well-lit, etc. The place is not too large, and some of the tables are set off in little alcoves to add a touch of privacy. The place was not too busy on Friday night, so they did not have an issue with seating us, in spite of our lack of a reservation.

The staff here is very professional and attentive. They speak good English and are well informed about the menu and the main ingredients.

I do have a few negative comments about this place, so let's get those out of the way first.

1. They don't make a good margarita here. Its not their forte, so probably not a lot of call for these anyway, but that's always the first thing my lady orders.

2. We wanted a bottle of wine. When the wine list was presented, I saw that they offer Penfold's Koonunga Hill cabernet/shiraz, which is a personal favorite. The price? 3880 baht, or well over $120 USD. I've bought this exact same wine many, many times in the US for 9 - 14 USD, depending on who had it on sale. I know wine is much more expensive here, but there is no reasonable explanation for that level of markup.

3. Our backup solution, a Wolf Blass blend (not a great bottle, but okay) was served chilled. I cannot describe how much I hate chilled red wine. I had to let it sit interminably to reach anything close to room temperature.

4. The dessert, which we'll get to in time, was much too expensive relative to the size of the dish. Overall I was not impressed with the value for the money at this restaurant.

Okay, with the negatives out of the way, the positives:

When we were seated, the staff brought out fresh bread (available with or without sesame, your choice) with butter and a small dish of a chunky chicken spread. The bread was warm and tender, with a touch of crustiness, and quite good. The chicken spread had a sneaky bit of heat that you only tasted at the end, but was quite enjoyable. Not too hot, but nice and spicy. There was also a shot glass of gazpacho served.

The gazpacho was a first for me. I've never tried it because cold soup seems antithetical to the entire notion of soup for me. This was very good. There was a little spiciness, a great crunch from corn and etc. in the blend, and the shot glass size was just right for an introduction. Nice surprise.

For our appetizers, she ordered a crab and lobster cake, and I had the french onion soup, which is a typical order for me. The crab cake was huge, beautifully presented over a yellow sauce (perhaps hollandaise; my allergy prevented a sampling on this) with a few steamed vegetables for decoration. The surface of the cake was well browned, and it smelled delicious. The french onion soup is simply the best I've ever had. While this dish is often characterized by the sweetness of the caramelized onions, the broth in this version was quite savory. It didn't overpower the onion flavor, but added a nice counterpoint to the sweetness. The obligatory crouton was in the soup, with just a touch of cheese. I added a dash of freshly ground pepper and really enjoyed this soup. The portion size was decent - served in a slightly oversized cup.

Main courses: Thai sea bass with mashed potato for her and chicken ballotine for me. Unfortunately, I failed to sample her main course, so can't comment on the flavor, but it looked great on the plate. This may sound like a minor note, but the presentation of food is a very important point for me. It shows that some extra time was taken with the dish. My food was outstanding. It was a chicken breast rolled out, then wrapped around chopped apples and truffle chips, then cut into slices. This was served with artichokes and roasted shallots and smashed broccoli, all over a smooth, brown sauce. The chicken was moist and tender, and the apples retained their crunch. The interplay of the flavors was tasty, with the savory sauce and meat playing off of the sweetness of the apples and the mild flavor of the artichokes and the smoky excellence of the roasted shallots. As an added bonus, there was the contrast in textures as well - the crunch from the apples vs. the velvety texture of the sauce on the plate had great mouth feel.

For dessert, we wanted to try the caramelized peach with sour cherries in zabayone. Okay, to tell the truth, I wanted to try it and browbeat my girl into agreeing to share it. This dish is prepared tableside as a flambe. The peach is very tender and the sweetness of the peach works great with the sour cherries and the foamy sauce that its served in. Referencing my above comment about size, this dish consisted of four small section of peach, each less than a tablespoon in size. We only wanted to try it, so I guess it all worked out, but at almost 400 baht I didn't feel this was worth the price.

Normally I don't mind paying a premium price for premium food, but I have to feel that I've gotten my money's worth. In this case, I just didn't feel that way. The food was really excellent, so we will be back to try something else from the menu, but we will apply lessons learned - we'll bring our own wine, pay the corkage fee, and skip the dessert tray.

Enjoy!

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the food at Bob's BBQ has steadily gone downhill over the last 6 months or so ?

Have even heard stories of the place running out of french fries and ribs, god knows how an American style restaurant can run out of these 2 items ?

as you mention it...I had a burger there two weeks ago and haven't been there for a while. Thought they were still good but not as good as they used to be but could not really put my finger on it.

On Friday night, my girlfriend and I decided it was time to try another new restaurant. Casa Pascal was on the list, so we went there for dinner.

Casa Pascal is over-rated. It's overpriced, pretentious, and the food average at best. The Sunday brunch buffet, however, is good, but the lunch and dinner menu al la carte menu...fugeddaboudit! Definitely not in Mata Hari's league.

Now, here is how a restaurant survives the recession: I dined at Cherry's tonite and today's Sunday nite set-menu was as follows:

---appetizers---

1 piece tomato brochette

cocktail shrimp, parma ham and melon (cantelope) plate

asparagus cream soup

---palate cleanser---

lime sorbet

--- mains---

bacon wrapped beef medallion on bed of sauted potatoes and asparagus tips with pepper-cream sauce,

---dessert---

chocolate mousse with kiwi-raspberry compote and whipped cream

coffee (or tea)

I had the above with a glass of house red-wine for the princely sum of B 355 (set-meal itself is B 299) and everything was excellent and I left stuffed like a Christmas goose :)

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

MeetJohnDoe - No argument here about Cherry's - as frequently noted above in this thread, outstanding taste and value combined. Also agree with you that Pascal's is overpriced, but I personally didn't find the food to be average. Really thought the taste was good...until settling the bill!!

As I think we've also noted, Wii's, while not quite as good as Cherry's, is a chip off the same block as Cherry's.

While we were headed to Casa Pascal, we saw the sign for Ruen Thai. Anyone know this place? Opinions?

PattayaParent, thanks. I think I'll give that one a miss - I've seen the traditional dance numbers several times (even participated in one at a company New Year's party, and no, I won't be posting those pictures!).

cochran -Actually, the Thai dancing and music is not bad at all and not intrusive in any way. The food at Ruen Thai is average - their Irish Coffeee is the worst I have ever had, just to top off the evening. You would be right to give it a miss!

I challenge you on the worst Irish coffee ever - I made the mistake of trying it one night at Molly Malone's on Walking Street and thought I would absolutely puke. I'll take your word for it at Ruen Thai. If the food is average there, I'll just stick with Mum Aroy if I need some really good Thai food.

I think tonight we plan to venture into a Swiss restaurant off of Naklua - Swiss Paradise Resort. Any experience from anyone on this place?

Ruen Thai is a bit of a tourist trap.

Only "a bit" hardly...probably some of the worst Thai food in Patters. Try Vientiane (I know...it's the capitol of Laos...but has good authentic Thai food) on Pattaya Tai (South) Road. Also several authentic Thai places up in Naklua but forget the names...do a search and they should come up.

I think tonight we plan to venture into a Swiss restaurant off of Naklua - Swiss Paradise Resort. Any experience from anyone on this place?

Swiss Paradise is very good and good value too. Used to be across from RGM on 2nd Road. Proprietor used to be one of the head chefs at Royal Cliff Resort I believe. They moved about 2 years ago and have not been to the new location yet...let us know if it's still a go :)

Swiss Paradise was a nice visit last night. The best thing about the place is the setting - you're served dinner outside in a garden, nice grass underfoot, trees and shrubbery around, lights aren't too bright - really nice place, and unassuming.

We weren't starving to death, so didn't order anything too major. A small shrimp cocktail for her and some asparagus with ham and cheese sauce for me, then roesti (mine with cheese and bacon, hers with egg and bacon). We didn't realize the servings of roesti would be so large - its a big plate, really full, and cooked right - not burnt up or raw in the middle, and with the best tasting bacon I've had in Pattaya yet. One plate of this is more than enough for two people.

On the positive side, the taste of the food was really good, and the waitress was very friendly and engaged my girlfriend in quite a conversation. Serving size was plentiful (shrimp cocktail wasn't huge, but its an appetizer after all), Singha was cold, and the bill was reasonable. The menu covers a lot of ground, with Swiss/German cuisine, fondues, Thai food, etc.

On the other hand, cocktails here (margarita and tequila sunrise) are not good - very watery tasting. While the roesti was delicious, it was also very greasy. I think that the cheese melted on top of mine may have contributed, but there was a lot of oil in the bottom of the plate.

Overall pretty decent, and worth going back to. The pork Zurich style looked good from the menu, and they also offer exotic meats - kangaroo, ostrich, alligator, deer, etc. that I haven't seen on other menus around here. for that matter, I don't think I've seen kangaroo on a menu anywhere, period. If you're looking for a very quiet, relaxing atmosphere to enjoy dinner without going overboard, this place is worth a look. Very interested in hearing other's opinions on this one.

MeetJohnDoe, Vientiene in on the list. We'll get to that one eventually. There is some hesitation on my part to hit this place, after a really bad experience with a Vietnamese noodle shop in our industrial park. I was under the impression that Vientiene was Vietnamese (alliteration at work, perhaps), but if its Laotian maybe I should reconsider, and broaden my horizons.

Overall pretty decent, and worth going back to. The pork Zurich style looked good from the menu, and they also offer exotic meats - kangaroo, ostrich, alligator, deer, etc. that I haven't seen on other menus around here. for that matter, I don't think I've seen kangaroo on a menu anywhere, period. Very interested in hearing other's opinions on this one.

I was under the impression that Vientiane was Vietnamese (alliteration at work, perhaps), but if its Laotian...

Glad to hear things haven't changed (except for location) for Swiss Paradise. Yes, I forgot to mention that they do serve all those exotic meats (but have never tried any of them). I was always very partial to their Pork Zürich and would highly recommend it. Their Hungarian Golosh soup (maybe they just call it Beef Golosh...can't remember) was very good too.

I have been looking for a good rosti here in Patters...will have to give it a try here...and I like mine greasy :)

Can you remind me what soi off Naklua where they are located.

Yeah...it would confuse people...Vientiane is the name but it's a Thai restaurant (not Laotian)...TIT

Just want to give a plug and :) to Cherry's Friday all you can eat BBQ ribs nite. Salad bar, savory, very tasty ribs, corn on cob, chunky-cut fries (very good), dessert (had choice of banana sundae, tiramisu, or fruit plate) and coffee/tea. B 259! Again, one of the best value and just plain good tasting meals in town at the moment.

Recently hit Cherry's on what turned out to be all you can eat grilled meat night - steaks, chicken, shrimp, fish, pork, etc. Included salad bar, choice of potato, veg, and dessert for something like 459 a person. Excellent meal, as usual.

There is a new German restaurant in Sukhumvit Soi 9 (where the new Mazda dealer is). Suan Beer it is called.

Nice indoor and outdoor seating in a typical German beergarden setting. We went there last Friday with business partners, seven of us. Drinking only imported Bitburger from the tab, had a feast and the bill was just under 4,000 for all of us.

Food is great, the manager used to run two German restaurants in Bangkok before and they do have a German chef, too.

I'd like to throw in a quick plug for a restaurant that's not in Pattaya, but has a connection.

We recently spent a long weekend on Phuket, and found that the fare at our hotel was not up to par, so went looking for good food. We found a place (two locations on Phuket, I think) called Two Chefs. The owners have a relationship with the owner of Beefeater's here in Pattaya, and there are some similarities in the menus. I have to say that the cocktails and long drinks at Two Chefs left much to be desired, but the food was incredibly good. Swedish meatballs, pork filet steak, BBQ pork skewers, salmon farfalle....all absolutely excellent (we ate there more than once - it was that good).

Food is great, the manager used to run two German restaurants in Bangkok before and they do have a German chef, too.

Saw that place recently...do they have a full a la carte German food menu or only limited selection of stuff to drink with beer like that roast pork knuckle and such?

It would be really great to find a German restaurant that does an authentic version of the pork knuckle - ate this frequently in Germany and loved it, but the local versions I've had here (admittedly, not in German restaurants) are a far cry different - much less tender meat, skin not as crispy, etc. Can anyone compare this new place to Bei Gerhard? I quite enjoyed my meal there and have recommended the place to a few German colleagues here at work.

It would be really great to find a German restaurant that does an authentic version of the pork knuckle - ate this frequently in Germany and loved it, but the local versions I've had here (admittedly, not in German restaurants) are a far cry different - much less tender meat, skin not as crispy, etc. Can anyone compare this new place to Bei Gerhard? I quite enjoyed my meal there and have recommended the place to a few German colleagues here at work.

Have you tried the version at the Brew Haus on Beach Road at soi Yamoto? Another German brewery restaurant that serves good food (I especially like their bacon pizza [don't ask what pizzas are doing at a German beer pub...this is Thailand].