Andaman Storm Sinks Dive Boat: Seven dead

alanmorison

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A boat sank off Phuket, six still missing

PHUKET: -- A boat carrying foreign scuba divers sunk off Phuket province on Monday, six of them are still missing.

A Navy base in Phuket was alerted at about 1.30pm by a tour operator that its boat carrying 31 scuba divers failed to arrive at the Thachalong port at 2am as scheduled.

The company then sent a team to check the whereabouts of Chok Somboon 19 boat. The team then found 25 divers drifting on the sea. They were rescued and sent to a hospital.

However six divers were still missing.

-- The Nation 2009-03-09

Concerned to hear that some are still @ sea.

The German dive operators are normally the most reliable & efficiently run.

Am surprised on two counts:

1.why they didn't have an emergency transponder aboard that activates when a vessel goes down.

Especially as this was a new boat.

2. Looking at the images of the boat it does look remarkably 'top-heavy'.

The sinkings in the past have largely been down to 'operator error',

and the seas don't normally get high until next month.

But conditions can catch even the best seamen unawares.

Edited by Rhodiebkk

My sympathy to all, especially those still missing. I have experienced first hand on my own yacht, just how fast the weather can change out there. Still, having said that, I am surprised a new boat that size, could capsize so quickly! Will be interested to get more details. Just sorry the trip ended in tradgedy.

We confirm 7 people missing as at 5.30pm - 2 Australians, 1 Japanese, 3 German, all passengers and 1 Thai crew member. There are unconfirmed rumours that 1-2 may have been found, but search is underway in area 7 miles off Patong-Karon area, but hopes are not high as one passenger, Micheal Sampson, from Australia told us he thinks the others were trapped on board, as the accident happened quickly in the dark with little warning. We will show an exclusive interview with him and a Director of Dive Asia on tomorrow's Andaman News program on NBT TV Phuket at 8.30am.

Our sincere hopes go out to families and friends of the missing.

No EPIRB? Didn't read weather forcast? I hate to say it... but if this happened anywhere else in the world the operator would be up on criminal charges.

Happens time and time again though, lack of regulation/enforcement casues loss of life, and slowly the tourist numbers drop.

Having just talked to some friends in Phuket, I am inclined along the "design problem" scenario, in that the boat was very "top heavy". The storm was not that bad. Another avoidable tragedy?? Sorry for all those concerned.

BANGKOK, March 9 (Xinhua) -- Six foreign scuba divers were missing on Monday after a boat sank off the sea between Thailand's Andaman coastal provinces of Phuket and Phang Nga.

At about 08:30 a.m. local time, a Thai Navy base in Phuket was alerted by a tour operator that its boat, which was carrying totally 31 foreign scuba divers to do scuba diving at Similan Island of Phang Nga, failed to arrive at the Thachalong port in the city of Phuket province as its scheduled at 02:00 a.m. local time.

Hence, the Navy boat was sent to search for them. Of the total,25 divers have been rescued and sent to a hospital after drifting on the sea, the website by Thai- language newspaper Thai Rath reported.

But, some six were missing.

The 31 foreign scuba divers are from Japan and others from the Europe.

At 28metres must have taken a mighty big wave to sink it>>>

dive-asia-0-l.jpg

Having just talked to some friends in Phuket, I am inclined along the "design problem" scenario, in that the boat was very "top heavy". The storm was not that bad. Another avoidable tragedy?? Sorry for all those concerned.

As a recently ex Search and Rescue helicopter pilot I applaud the professional and sensible comments.

but if this happened anywhere else in the world the operator would be up on criminal charges.

Thank your God Thailand is not anywhere else in the world. :o Is'nt that why we live here?

You are assuming that if the boat had an EPIRB that the Royal Thai Navy has a receiver? I believe (probably wrong) all commercial boats must be Thai owned and crewed so the operator is off the hook anyway. TIT.

BTW I read the other day that commercial fishing is the most dangerous occupation in the world. One reason maybe that they go to sea in boats and "stranger things happen at sea"

but if this happened anywhere else in the world the operator would be up on criminal charges.

Thank your God Thailand is not anywhere else in the world. :o Is'nt that why we live here?

You are assuming that if the boat had an EPIRB that the Royal Thai Navy has a receiver? I believe (probably wrong) all commercial boats must be Thai owned and crewed so the operator is off the hook anyway. TIT.

BTW I read the other day that commercial fishing is the most dangerous occupation in the world. One reason maybe that they go to sea in boats and "stranger things happen at sea"

The stipulation for charter in Thai waters, is that the boat must have a "Thai captain and engineer" on board. :D

As a recently ex Search and Rescue helicopter pilot I applaud the professional and sensible comments.

Even with the generators, compressors and fresh water tanks down below? I have seen far worse out there :o

depending on the time of year and the direction of travel to the dive sites the waves will hit the boat differently (either head on or from the side). obviously they were hitting the boat from the side on this tragic day which causes a continual sideways rocking motion. if the vessel is top heavy these conditions can be very demanding on a captain (especially if he has little or no experience of the vessel). this is obviously a newly refurbished vessel (looks very much like the one i used to work on and i wouldn't be surprised if it is), and possibly the captain's experience combined with the conditions was a recipe for disaster.

Edited by M8FYU

Please forgive my ignorance: Will someone please explain to me

the one big wave that came out of nowhere...how does this happen?

:o:D:D:D

Three different things can make waves. The wind, moon, and earthquakes can all make waves.

<H3 class=dynamic>Wind Waves – Ocean Surface Waves</H3>The waves that bounce your boat or your fishing bobbin up and down are created by the wind. A wave seems to move lots of water along in front of it. But it doesn't. It only seems to move water. The water is not pushed forward by the wind only the shape of the water is pushed. Remember your fishing bobbin? It always stays where it is at, doesn't it?

This is hard to understand. To see waves at work, try this experiment. Tie a piece of rope to a pole or some other object that doesn't move. Take the other end of the rope and walk away so that you pull the rope out. Don't pull it completely straight – let it fall in a curve.

Wiggle the rope. You will see a wave shape form and move from you to the pole. The shape of the wave moved but the rope stayed where it is, one end stays tied to the tree, the other end stays in your hand.

When a wave reaches the shore, it breaks. When the bottom of the wave touches the ground it stops while the top keeps moving until it falls over onto the beach.

<H3 class=dynamic>Moon Waves – Tidal Waves</H3>Tidal waves aren't really waves. They are ocean surface waves (wind waves) that move higher onto the shore because of the moon. The moon changes where and how we see the waves. The moon has gravity just like the earth. Gravity is what helps you stay on the earth and not float up into space. The moon's gravity pulls on the earth's water. When the moon is close to one side of the earth, it pulls the water in the ocean towards it.

When the water moves toward the moon, the ocean gets fuller on that side and move higher up on the beach bringing the waves closer to you. This is called high tide. When the water moves towards one part of the ocean, another part gets emptier and the waves don't come as close to the shore. This is called low tide.

On the side of the earth opposite the moon, it is high tide too. This is because the spinning of the earth causes the water to rush towards the outside of the earth. Because of this there are two high tides every day and two low tides every day.

<H3 class=dynamic>Earthquake Waves - Tsunamis</H3>There are special waves that are not made by the wind and aren't affected by the moon. They are called tsunamis. Tsunamis are made when there is an earthquake under the ocean. (Other things can make tsunamis too, such as a volcanic eruption, a sub-marine rockslide, or a large impact in the water from a asteroid, meteor, or a non-marine rockslide). When the earth slides and crashes together under the water, it causes huge waves to be made that rush towards the shore. These waves destroy everything that they touch because they are so big and full of so much water.

Make a tsunami in your bathtub. Sit in the tub. Put your legs straight out in front of you pull them apart and then move them together as quickly as you can. Watch how the water moves and makes big waves. If you make a big enough tsunami it will splash out of the tub onto the floor. Clean the bathroom for your Mom if you make a mess. Maybe put towels on the floor before your tsunami experiment.

Read more: "What Makes Waves? Answers for Kids about the Ocean"

for a solid, non-speculative answer, it's best to wait for the TV interview with the staff member on board at the time of the incident, he'll be able to indicate the conditions at the time of the event.

depending on the time of year and the direction of travel to the dive sites the waves will hit the boat differently (either head on or from the side). obviously they were hitting the boat from the side on this tragic day which causes a continual sideways rocking motion. if the vessel is top heavy these conditions can be very demanding on a captain (especially if he has little or no experience of the vessel). this is obviously a newly refurbished vessel (looks very much like the one i used to work on and i wouldn't be surprised if it is), and possibly the captain's experience combined with the conditions was a recipe for disaster.

its new, not newly refursbished

Undoubtably a tragedy but far too premature to assume the vessel is top heavy, it all depends on the draft and keel weight. Most builds have been designed by naval draughtsmen and according to class, especially where foreign investment and insurance is concerned.

As for waves coming out of nowhere..believe it.. if it is a new build my guess is an electrical failure leading to a dead vessel, broadside to the waves, it happens and recently happened on a 800 ton vessel I was onboard. Scared and helpless is the feeling and this was with a well trained and safety drilled crew.

Good luck to all who were onboard

This was likely a Rogue wave, or a Solaton (an undersea wave caused by a subsea current amplified by the continental shelf). I have worked offshore on a drill ship in the Andaman (Burma), we were hit by a soliton and it was quite powerful. You cant even see them coming. I can see how it would flip a top heavy boat if it was on the beam.

This was likely a Rogue wave, or a Solaton (an undersea wave caused by a subsea current amplified by the continental shelf). I have worked offshore on a drill ship in the Andaman (Burma), we were hit by a soliton and it was quite powerful. You cant even see them coming. I can see how it would flip a top heavy boat if it was on the beam.

I applaud beameup and khunandy for reminding everyone not to jump to conclusions of blame before the facts are in.

Further, beameup has proposed an interesting possibility which has led me to learn something new:

"The striking feature of this wave is that an almost flat ocean surface evolves into a singular wave with high amplitude, as energy is sucked into the center part of the wave from the surrounding area of the ocean. The process is highly nonlinear and may appear as a mystery to those who observe this rare event. Such destructive waves have sunk a number of ships in the ocean. Moreover, after its unexpected appearance, the big wave disappears, restoring the relatively peaceful surface of the ocean." Rogue Ocean Waves .

That is called a "Rouge Wave" It's only over the past 15-20 years have they been studied as before people thought they only existed in legends

Length 28 m

Width 6 m

Accommodation: 2 Master Cabins

7 Deluxe Cabins

1 Standard Cabin

M/V Dive Asia I - Technical Data

Construction Steel Mono Hull diveasia1a-new.jpg

space.gif

diveasia1b-new.jpg

Length 28 meters Width 6 meters Facilities - 2 Master Cabins with Aircon & On-Suite Bathroom

- 7 Deluxe Cabins with Aircon & On-Suite Bathroom

- 1 Standard Cabin with Aircon & On-Suite Bathroom

- Large Covered & Open Sundecks

- 1 Saloon with Bar & Multimedia Center

- Extra Head/Shower Technic - Main Engines 2x360 HP

- Power Supply 220 V provided by 2 Generators

- 2 Electric Compressors mounted below Deck

- 14000 Liter Fresh Water

Safety - MFA Kit

- Oxygen Tank

- Life Jackets

- Life Rafts