Indefinite Leave To Remain In The Uk

I've looked a the various postings but I'm a bit confused about the date(s) on which my Thai wife can apply for ILR.

1)She was granted a fiance visa on 1 May 2007

2) She arrived in the UK on 8 May 2007

3) We got married and she was later granted a 2 year settlement visa on 19 July 2007

Does she apply for ILR within the 28 days before 8 May 2009 or within 28 days of 19 July 2009?

Thanks

Jim

I've looked a the various postings but I'm a bit confused about the date(s) on which my Thai wife can apply for ILR.

3) We got married and she was later granted a 2 year settlement visa on 19 July 2007

Does she apply for ILR within the 28 days before 8 May 2009 or within 28 days of 19 July 2009?

Thanks

Jim

I would say 2 years from the date of your marriage. The Rule says:

"287. (a) The requirements for indefinite leave to remain for the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom are that:

(i)(a)the applicant was ....... given an extension of stay for a period of 2 years in accordance with paragraphs 281 to 286 of these Rules and has completed a period of 2 years as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom;"

In that context, the grant of an extension of 2 years stands separately from the duration of your marriage.

I would bang in the application a couple of weeks before your wedding anniversary. Perhaps this overlaps with 28 days before 19 July.

Thanks

Jim

"287. (a) The requirements for indefinite leave to remain for the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom are that:

(i)(a)the applicant was ....... given an extension of stay for a period of 2 years in accordance with paragraphs 281 to 286 of these Rules and has completed a period of 2 years as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom;"

In that context, the grant of an extension of 2 years stands separately from the duration of your marriage.

I would bang in the application a couple of weeks before your wedding anniversary. Perhaps this overlaps with 28 days before 19 July.

Thanks for that. We got married on 6 JUly 2007 so I guess the application should be made towards the end of June.

I have given up phoning them as you just get the same old message: all our people are busy! You can't even wait in a telephone queue!

Jim

• 5 months later...

Thanks

Jim

Thanks for that. We got married on 6 JUly 2007 so I guess the application should be made towards the end of June.

I have given up phoning them as you just get the same old message: all our people are busy! You can't even wait in a telephone queue!

Jim

Hi Jim!

She will be able to apply within 28 days from 19th July 2009 as the fiancé visa is not a settlement status visa only the spousal visa counts for time earned in the UK.