Where To Relax In Cebu, Philippines?

A colleague is off in the near future to a new post in Cebu. He would like to find places similar to @Richards, Balcony or The Telephone to relax, enjoy a libation or two, have some food, and meet local folks, both expats living / working or retired there, and Filipino folk, as well. He's not interested in go-go bars, discos, etc. Someplace for the happy hour & dinner timeslot is more his taste.

Any suggestions from anyone who has been there or knows the lay of the land?

Thank you!

I've been around there but there isn't much in the 'upper middle class gay tourist' zone, if that's what you're looking for. There are some discos- however, when I went, people with guns walking around and thievery were not uncommon.

To put it succinctly, I wouldn't relax ANYWHERE in Cebu, if I were you, unless you had a few people around to insulate you from trouble. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been around there but there isn't much in the 'upper middle class gay tourist' zone, if that's what you're looking for. There are some discos- however, when I went, people with guns walking around and thievery were not uncommon.

To put it succinctly, I wouldn't relax ANYWHERE in Cebu, if I were you, unless you had a few people around to insulate you from trouble. Good luck.

How about the lower working class?

^I believe there may be one or two commercial MB venues somewhere in the city, but I'm not really interested in that sort of place. If you do go out to the discos, working class is about all you're likely to meet.

While I had many interesting and sometimes wonderful experiences in the Philippines, and Filipinos have been among the warmest, kindest, and sweetest persons I have ever met, I would have to say that gay Filipinos are still the most drama-prone gay subgroup of which I am aware, and attempts to engage are not recommended for those seeking peace and calm, or for the faint-hearted. As a good gay Filipino friend of mine responded when I gently asked him about this kind of experience, "Yes, I know. I'm sorry, but it's just the way we are!"

And because of the extreme divisions in the economy, it is practically inevitable that a sizeable segment of the poor are forced to steal, con, and otherwise follow lives of crime. As a foreigner, especially if not accompanied by savvy and caring Filipino friends, you are an obvious and easy target. I'm not talking about gem scams, sick buffaloes, or dead grandmothers here; I'm talking about schemes where you may wind up mugged, robbed, physically injured, or unwitting dupe towards such crimes against others.

For several years I travelled regularly to Manila for business, about 5 to 6 visits per year, each visit about 4 days.

During those visits I met many Phillipinos (not gay) who are very friendly kind , always ready to help with anything. I work with one right now in Bangkok.

However after three very negative and frightening encounters with gay guys (one guy I met on-line and two I met at discos (different timings), but didn't take them back to hotel until I had several rendezvous for meals, etc) I decided to never again get into any form of personal one on one encounters.

One of the guys I met at a disco (mentioned above), initially very quiet and seemingly very honest and sincere, turned into a very nasty and clearly experienced money boy with threats of violence, blackmail, I'll call my police friends, etc etc. He had without my knowledge taken my passport, made a photocopy and returned the passport to my bag, which I never leave open to easy access.

Another time I went to a macho dancer bar. I had two drinks but when I asked for the bill it was for about 7 or 8 drinks, and I refused to pay. The manager forceable took my wallet and cleaned out 90% of my cash whilst the staff and the other patrons just watched and laughed.

Another occassion I went to a massage venue, which was also an unpleasant experience, starting with the rude manager, then demands for large amounts of extra money from the massage boy who didn't even try to give me a massage, then threatening remarks from all the staff and massage boys as I left the premises.

12 years spent there, all straight arrow not a place for those who cannot handle themselves in extreme physical situations with weapons from martial arts to .45's. Not to sound rude but many gays arent cut out for the kind of situations that are commonplace in the P.I.. Thailand is like a trip to Grandma's house. Last trip there was in atwo and a half hour firefight between tha NPA and the Philippine Army. Caught in the crossfire, 17 dead, and that was after finding a cace earier in the day with the bones and skulls of about 70 U.S. murdered by the Japs during the battle of the Leyte Gulf in WW2 How do I know they were murdered Americans? Dogtags and a bullet through each skull. see pictures. A nice place for your gay friend is to take a two hour fast ferry ride for a relaxing ride to Deumaguete for a quiet hasslefree weekend. The P.I. is not for the meek anymore. You must carry, and must know where you are going.post-49171-1238957650_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

i find the comments offensive but it seems the people who replied were just unfortunate ones. Perhaps you guys should try to visit Cebu these days. btw some of the replies were out of the topic and not aswering from what someone had asked. Anyway Cebu is my adopted city and its way far from Thailand. It may not be a gay mecca as it is here but at least you will find a drama free decent and educated men to date with. And oh they dont tell you their mom are sick or their buffallo will be sold coz they couldnt pay some shit rent.. and definately not from the hill tribes.

Most of the gay venues are descent and its not gay at all. its mostly mixed crowds and full of young professionals. See it for yourself and you might end up getting a descent partner. :-)