Certificate of residence

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe no one answered this yet.  Maybe you already have found an answer.

I live in Chiang Mai.  I simply go to Thai Immigration and ask for it.  They required two photos and copy of passport.  I don't remember the fee but it was minimal.

I acquired 3. One for purchase of a truck, a motorcycle and a drivers license.  The original is kept each time it is used and it also is only good for 30 days.  

Before doing the above I requested one from the U.S. Consulate.  They are the ones that advised me to go to Thai Immigration as the same issued by the U.S. Consulate would be more expensive and may not always be accepted.

Each time was about a 20 minute process.

Before doing the above I requested one from the U.S. Consulate.  They are the ones that advised me to go to Thai Immigration as the same issued by the U.S. Consulate would be more expensive and may not always be accepted.

The US consular offices offer this as a notarial service.  The fee used to be in the neighrborhood of US$55 bust according to the US Embassy website (Bangkok), they now get US$30 for such a seal.  I wonder if that's a mistake as it's hard to believe they actually lowered the price of anything.   :o

the last time i had a document "notarized" at the us embassy (about 5 months ago) the fee was $30.  this was also a "proof of residency" document.

the thai immigration residency cert is i believe B200...i got one of these too a few months ago for the purchase of a truck.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the tips guys.

However, I went to the immigration in BKK today, and I was told I need to stay in the country at least 90 days before I can get a Certificate of Residence. Is this correct, or am I missing someting here?

However, I went to the immigration in BKK today, and I was told I need to stay in the country at least 90 days before I can get a Certificate of Residence. Is this correct, or am I missing someting here?

News to me. If that were truly the case nationwide I would have never been issued a certficate of residence by Thai immigrations. I have never stayed in Thailand longer than ninety consecutive days.

It is most confusing to get this mystery Certificate of Residence. Perhaps I was sent to the wrong the immigration department.

Do you remember what form you used when you files for the Certificate of Residence at the immigration? What documentation did they require - in addition to the form?

Here is the web page with related immigration forms. I tried filling out a TM.30 before arriving at the immigration office, but they told me I would only need to use a TM.47 after 90 days of living in Thailand. Could you take a look at this web page and tell me which form you used?

Immigration Residence Notifications

The Thai immigration said I need to go to the American Consulate to get the C of R. The bank (where I am trying to open a current account) said I needed a work permit. I then showed them their own bank web site that says I only need a Certificate of Residence. They then changed their story and told me I need to go to the Immigration Bureau. Eveyone is pointing in circles. This sure is Thailand...

Eveyone is pointing in circles.  This sure is Thailand...

You got that right!

Do you remember what form you used when you files for the Certificate of Residence at the immigration?  What documentation did they require - in addition to the form?

It's been a couple of years since I last applied for a Certificate of Residence so my memory of the process is not 100% fresh but none of the stuff on the web page you pointed to looks correct. This page seems to be in regards making the obligatory ninety-day check-in with immigrations and notifying immigrations if one's address has changed.

When I applied for a Certificate of Residence, I presented no additional documentation whatsoever other than the form itself, the obligatory pictures, and copies of relevant passport pages.

Interesting post for me. I will give you a quick run down of my situation and then maybe some of the experts can reply.

I am a 43 year old english expat. The UK considers me "Non resident or not ordinarily resident for tax purposes". I have live in Thailand for the last 17 years and before that from 1982-85. I married a thai in 1990 and we divorced in 1991 (as we wished to buy land, and at the time the mysoginist racist Thai authorities would not let my wife buy land here). Since then we have lived together but not re-married, we have one child. I work wherever my company sends me on a 6 week on 6 week off schedule, over the last five years this has mainly been Gulf of mexico, west africa and North sea. I was advised by a Thai lawyer that as I spend so much time in Thailand I was eligable for tax and should register. An immigration official in Pattaya said that was not the case, as I came in on tourist or type O visa's.

So other than occasionally visiting UK and dropping by the Hull consulate for a type O visa, is there any way of making my stays here more legitimate with an eye on retiring and having no problems with retirement visa's. Should I try for Thai residancy?. One problem I have is applying for work permits for South American countries where we do work. They require a police record (ie basically a paper saying I am not wanted anywhere). Thailand wont give me one (for less than 30,000 baht) and the UK says, sorry son you havnt lived here for 20 years.

regards

Freddie

Should I try for Thai residancy?.

This is the only question I can find and would answer no myself. First you have no basis for PR as you do not live here, do not pay tax here and are not married to a Thai. So one or more of those have to be changed first. :D

I would continue as you are and save for retirement. PR is good if you have a close relationship to the country/people but is not required for retirement or marriage and would probably be even more difficult to obtain with external work.

I would not consider 30k baht all that much if I were paying no tax anywhere. Sounds like you have the best of both worlds. :o

Thanks for the tips guys.

That is not correct, just the whim of the officer.

Ask to see the superior.

Provided you have a Non Imm visa you can ask for the letter at any time.

Best to make sure you are uptodate on the reporting procedure.

In my experience the letter is issued free.

I went back the second time and talked to the superior at the BKK Immigration. She had four stars on her shoulders. She was very pleasant and yet very stern.

She gave me the same answer: I must stay at least 90 days before I can apply for a Certificate of Residence. It seems like a dead end.

I have no idea how you could have gotten your residence certificate so easy. Perhaps the laws have changed?

I have live in Thailand for the last 17 years and before that from 1982-85. I married a thai in 1990

Since then we have lived together but not re-married, we have one child.

I assume you are named as the father on your child's birth certificate,

and you contribute to his/her upkeep?

You are therefore entitled to apply for a Non Immigrant O visa based on your paternity. After the initial 3 months you can apply for an extension for one year, and must show funds of 400,000 baht in the bank or an income of 40,000 per month. Probably better to go for the lump sum and spend it during the year.

On the annual expiry you can extend the visa for a further year, on sight of a new balance of 400K.

This will totally legitimise your status in Thailand.

It may also be worth remarrying your wife, at the amphur office, to strengthen you position, but as I undertand it the paternity is sufficient.

I work wherever my company sends me on a 6 week on 6 week off schedule, over the last five years this has mainly been Gulf of mexico, west africa and North sea. I was advised by a Thai lawyer that as I spend so much time in Thailand I was eligable for tax and should register. An immigration official in Pattaya said that was not the case, as I came in on tourist or type O visa's.
The immigration and Tax offices are quite different.

I would not expect the Tax office to know all the immigration rules, or vice versa!!

It does not matter what visa you have, you are liable for Thai tax on Income remitted to Thailand, if you spend more than 180 days in one calendar year, in the Kingdom.

However income earned in a previous year, is not liable.

I know it sounds stupid but you will be better off to establish yourself as a Thai Tax payer, based on the income earned overseas, and remitted to Thailand (Just remit what you need).

As a Tax payer you are in a much better position to apply for residency after 3 years of Non Immigrant O visas

One problem I have is applying for work permits for South American countries where we do work. They require a police record (ie basically a paper saying I am not wanted anywhere). Thailand wont give me one (for less than 30,000 baht) and the UK says, sorry son you havnt lived here for 20 years.

I am not sure of the latest rules since 9/11.

Who told you the UK will not issue a letter?

The British Embassy used to issue a letter saying that "they do not issue" letters regarding police records and this would suffice for job applications.

A quick call to the British Embassy here would clear that up.

Edited by astral

Just got my "certificate of residence" today, cost 20 Baht, at my local Amphur office. This paper "should" allow me to buy a car/motorcyle in my name, apply for a Thai driver's license. Indeed, to apply for a Thai driver's license, other papers are needed in addition to the "certificate" (like passport with non-immigrant visa, medical certificate, another countries driver license). The other option is you can for sure get a "notarized" statement of your address from your embassy, which will mean a trip to your embassy and whatever they charge for the "notary" (Yes, USA is $30).

A friend did the Amphur certificate "thing" in Kolat (he lives in Kolat) and he only had to take himself and his passport with non-immigrant visa, his wife and her Thailand residence book to the Kolat "City Hall". He then used the certificate along with the other required documents that to apply for his Thai driver's license and now has his Thai driver's license which he "proudly" displays for all to see.

For me, I found out "the hard way" that you must get this paper from your local Amphur office. In my case it was not Kolat. And for me also, it required taking myself and passport with valid non-immigrant visa, and my wife and her residence book. However, in addition to the above, I also had to get two people who would "guarantee" that indeed my address in Thailand was "sure". I was told that the "guaranter" must be somebody like a school teacher, policeman, village headman, etc. Ok, no problem (sort of). Had to find a couple such people who know me and would do the guarantee, which in my case wasn't difficult.

Anyway, while the above looks a bit "long winded", it wasn't too bad. For sure, if I lived in Bangkok, or near an immigration office, maybe it would have been easier. I don't live near either.

Thanks for the clarification that I need to go to the local Amphur (Civil Registry Office) fro the residence certificate.

The previous posts on this thread said to go to immigration. I basically wasted two afternoons of going to the Bangkok immigration office, following their advice. I guess this board is full of both good and bad advice.

I will try the local Civil Registry Office, next. My hopes are now high. (smile)

I will try the local Civil Registry Office, next. My hopes are now high. (smile)

Let us know how you get one.

It sounds very dubious to me.

Those people normally only deal with Thais, or Permanent Residents.

QUOTE Let us know how you get one.

It sounds very dubious to me.

Those people normally only deal with Thais, or Permanent Residents.

Fair enough Astral. I only know that it worked in Kolat for my friend and for me in Amphur Khong. We both have Non-immigrant O visas. And not sure about "normally those people only deal with Thai's", indeed I had to have Thai's with me, but I previously registered my marriage in this Amphur. Also when I got the residence thing yesterday the Thai official said that she had done several such documents for "Falong" in the past.

So for sure "ThaiLover1" let us know how you make out.

Confused and sorry. I'm sorry, apparently I've confused "Certificate of Residence" and "Proof of Residence". You need a "proof of residence" to buy a car, get a driver's license, etc. My friend in Kolat and myself in Amphur Khong, got a "Proof of Residence" from our local amphur.. I was thinking they were one and the same, but apparently they are two separate things. I don't know what a true "Certificate of Residence" is, nor do I know how to acquire one. Sorry for any confusion.

Confused and sorry. I'm sorry, apparently I've confused "Certificate of Residence" and "Proof of Residence". You need a "proof of residence" to buy a car, get a driver's license, etc. My friend in Kolat and myself in Amphur Khong, got a "Proof of Residence" from our local amphur.. I was thinking they were one and the same, but apparently they are two separate things. I don't know what a true "Certificate of Residence" is, nor do I know how to acquire one. Sorry for any confusion.

Don't be. I suspect you are correct and that this is indeed another method of obtaining what is needed. Will be interested to hear how it goes for others if they try this route. It may be hard for non Thai speakers but if you have Thai wife would go together and see what happens. The savings alone should make it worth the effort.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, now I'm sorry again, but more for myself. I took my "proof of residence" from my local Amphur to Bua Yai to apply for my Thai driver's license. They said they will only accept the document from the appropriate embassy. I protested that my friend used the same type of "proof of residence" in Kolat, but the talk fell on deaf ears, didn't care, didn't matter. No. No exceptions. Oh well, was trying to avoid the hassle of a trip to Bangkok and then the PAIN of the American embassy, not to mention the $30 they charge for the "service". TIT. It seems some places you can and some places you can't.

Pathumthani required a proof of residence for the driving license renewal. when i stated that the embassy charged me a small fortune for this form it was suggested that i go to the amphur. Well before starting out I made the telephone call - I was able to even obtain the officials mobile number via the internet - however this gentleman was a little less helpful than the clerk at the motor vehicles bringing up issues such as tabien baan and childrens birth certificates and the like.

i will probably bite the bullet and pay a visit to the embassy this week