Disability Scooters

billyboy

My elderly dad will be going to Thailand soon,he cant walk fast,he uses a sit on ride on scooter here in farangland,i never saw any in Thailand,do they have them?

There's a shop about 200yds from the top of thonglor (bts end) in Bangkok that sells aids for disabled people, which i think includes electric scooters. But your father will have problems going far because the pavements here are often uneven and have obstacles in the way. I've seen some people use the them on the roads, but i'ts very damgerous, especially in bangkok.

I agree with Zovox. Due to the small wheels, those scooters don't do well on many city streets without someone to help lift the scooter over stuff. A motorized wheelchair, with it's larger main wheels, might be more practical for some areas. A scooter would be pretty good for shopping centers, though.

No matter what, I'm sure you'll get any help you need while out in public. I'm disabled and mostly move around by wheelchair, and Thais are really great in this regard. :o

• 3 years later...
I'm disabled and mostly move around by wheelchair, and Thais are really great in this regard. :o

Ajarn,

Do you know anywhere in Thailand where you can buy a decent wheelchair? By that I mean a lightweight, aluminium sporty type rather than the heavy, stainless steel wheelchairs I have seen in the Nakhon Sawan area.