Waiting For Payment From A Modelling Agency

My pal recently done a job for an agency, it was a photo shoot and once it was finished he was told he'd have to wait 2 months for payment, is this right? Surely it doesn't take that long to process payment??

It depends on whom the agency is doing the work for and how often they pay out. Sometimes, the company who carries out the hiring for the agency may also be a 'scout' doing the work for the main source, i.e.. A TV company, a magazine, etc. Thus resulting in three parties involvement.

It can take a while for the monies to work through the system.

Edited by TEFLMike

Thanks for your reply

It was a drink company and apparently the product will go on sale in april and there was only the agency and the drinks company involved I believe, I understand that they told him 2 months because the payments need to be signed off by the drink company and this is what takes time, fingers crossed for him anyway :o

You think too much!

I, in turn, sense a resident troll!

No idea what the drink was, didn't ask him, I'm not interested, he just asked my advice because he knew I read this forum a lot and could possibly find an altruist with experience, satisfied?

You think too much!

I, in turn, sense a resident troll!

No idea what the drink was, didn't ask him, I'm not interested, he just asked my advice because he knew I read this forum a lot and could possibly find an altruist with experience, satisfied?

does he have a work permit and a contract ie: legal legs to stand on.

He's mixed race Thai/US so I presume he's in no need of a work permit etc...

To be honest, I don't really know uch about the job or anything, he's just curious and wanted me to find out what the regular time was to wait

Edited by MaiDong

He's mixed race Thai/US so I presume he's in no need of a work permit etc...

To be honest, I don't really know uch about the job or anything, he's just curious and wanted me to find out what the regular time was to wait

well only if he has thai citizenship, no WP needed.

so he should therefore refer to his contract regarding terms of payment.

60 days payment is the norm. Usually the agencies (I'm referring to the ad agencies, JWT et al) will write cheques at the 25th or so of each month. So depending on when your friend shot the commercial, he may have to wait a bit more than 60 days. 90 days max, as per contracts that I've seen.

I trust that I have more experience in this field than any TV member.

Either way, it should all be in the contract. Future advice: watch the wording in the contract regarding withholding tax (5 percent), VAT (7 percent), business tax (3 percent), etc... some contracts will state figures inclusive of these taxes... make sure it's exclusive (depending on the power you have, they may tell your friend to fark off)... Trust me, 7% + 5% on big contracts can make a huge difference... but if you're new, it's just about getting your foot in the door and ruining it for the rest of us by undercutting prices across the board... :o

60 days payment is the norm. Usually the agencies (I'm referring to the ad agencies, JWT et al) will write cheques at the 25th or so of each month. So depending on when your friend shot the commercial, he may have to wait a bit more than 60 days. 90 days max, as per contracts that I've seen.

I trust that I have more experience in this field than any TV member.

Either way, it should all be in the contract. Future advice: watch the wording in the contract regarding withholding tax (5 percent), VAT (7 percent), business tax (3 percent), etc... some contracts will state figures inclusive of these taxes... make sure it's exclusive (depending on the power you have, they may tell your friend to fark off)... Trust me, 7% + 5% on big contracts can make a huge difference... but if you're new, it's just about getting your foot in the door and ruining it for the rest of us by undercutting prices across the board... :o

and r u a model working in LOS? do u think you're better than everyone else??? wingaa dingaa

• 3 weeks later...
...but if you're new, it's just about getting your foot in the door and ruining it for the rest of us by undercutting prices across the board... :o

That's competition for you :D I would have imagined it was because of the way you look more than the pay you take(within reason, obviously)...