Thaksin Reportedly Sought Royal Pardon

george

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an interviewed with the English-language daily Japan Times, "If I get a pardon, I know my supporters would be happy and we would not need to fight back anymore and prove anything.

For any true-believers amongst the red-shirts, who still think that they're fighting for justice or democracy, and not merely for Thaksin himself, this surely says it all.

Thaksin will ensure that they continue to fight, and disrupt the country, until he personally is given a 'free pass' for any/all crimes proven or cases currently underway. After which the troubles will stop.

Can't help but feel it's his threat to return to politics immediately, despite his 5-year ban from politics, which will sink his chances of a quiet return to live here, which might otherwise have been negotiatiable.

It's amazing that Abhisit and the Dems/PAD/Military are willing to tear the country apart just to save face over this. Why can't they admit they were wrong to injure the populace with a coup in the first place, ask forgiveness, be humble, and let Thailand move on peacefully?

How is your comment relevant to this thread?

It's amazing that Abhisit and the Dems/PAD/Military are willing to tear the country apart just to save face over this. Why can't they admit they were wrong to injure the populace with a coup in the first place, ask forgiveness, be humble, and let Thailand move on peacefully?

How is your comment relevant to this thread?

If Abhisit and the Dems/PAD/Military who tore the country apart would stop trying to save face and would just apologize, ask forgeiveness, be humble, and let Thailand move on peacefully, then Thaksin could find it in his heart to forgive them as well. Then we could have an election and start pretending to be a democracy!

Ousted Thai premier wants royal pardon

TOKYO (AFP / 52 minutes ago) — Thailand's ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra said in an interview published on Thursday that he had asked his king to pardon him on corruption charges and wants to make a political comeback.

"I wrote him three letters already because I believed in His Majesty's kindness and wisdom," Thaksin reportedly told the English-language daily Japan Times.

"If I get a pardon, I know my supporters would be happy and we would not need to fight back anymore and prove anything."

"It is up to His Majesty and his generosity," Thaksin, who lives in exile to avoid a jail term back home, was quoted as saying.

Thaksin hopes his achievements will earn pardon from Thai king

DUBAI — Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra hopes for one thing these days as he spends his life on the run evading arrest on corruption charges: getting a pardon from his king.

"It is up to his majesty and his generosity," Thaksin said in an exclusive interview with The Japan Times.

But it is unclear whether Thaksin, 59, will get a royal pardon for the sake of national reconciliation.

A number of countries — including Britain and Japan — will not grant him a visa. His diplomatic passport has been revoked. He recently divorced his wife and some of his political allies have deserted him.

But Thaksin appears to take it all in stride and attributes his woes to "bad karma." He is adamant about his innocence and says he was framed by detractors eager to seize power "whatever the consequences for the country."

"I am a religious person and believe in the good things," Thaksin said.

"What has happened to me is clearly unfortunate and unexpected. This must be bad karma from a past life; I must have done something."

"I have to go back, I have an obligation to my supporters and their morale," he said. "If there was an election today, I would certainly win."

But unless he is granted a pardon, returning to Thailand now is not a viable option.

"I wrote him three letters already because I believe in his majesty's kindness and wisdom," he said. "If I get a pardon, I know my supporters would be happy and we would not need to fight back anymore and prove anything."

He said he knows it may take some time before this happens, but insists that he is willing to wait as long as it take to clear his name.

"In Thailand we say, 'Sometimes you have to bite your tongue, then quietly swallow you own blood,' " he explained. "I am patient and I can wait."

- Japan Times / 2009-03-12

Thaksin denies seeking royal pardon, blames confusing reports

Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra has not submitted three petitions asking for royal pardon as reported by the Japan Times newspaper and the Thai media, red-shirt co-leader Natthawut Saikua said on Friday.

What Thaksin said in his interview with Japan Times was he submitted three reports about the political turmoil to His Majesty, Natthawut said.

- The Nation / 2009-03-13

^ Vintage Thaksin.... :D

"It wus all lost in da transration"

How true and I can't disagree. However, vintage Nation, as well! Is there a straight story, ever?

Vintage Japan Times and Agence France Presse, as well, huh? :o

For a holder of an English-language PhD, he certainly does struggle a great deal with the language throughout his history.

But then, even in Thai, he's not much better as his comical explanation before, about how people don't understand his Northern Thai accent in a lame attempt to explain away yet another one of his guffaws, shows.

Edited by sriracha john

Is it worth fighting for? If the coup-makers apologize and humbly go before the Thai people and ask forgiveness, it will be given.

Yeah, you are right. It's not worth fighting for. Best if Thaksin returns to Thailand, serves his time for his conviction and any time for any subsequent convictions for offences which are waiting to be judged while the country is awaiting his return. After serving his time he could go before the Thai people and ask forgiveness for his sins and it will be given.

Thaksin hasn't sought royal pardon

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 13/03/2009 at 01:48 PM

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has not sought a royal pardon from His Majesty the King as suggested by reports in the Japan Times newspaper and the Thai media, core leader of United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) Nattawut Saikua said on Friday.

"Mr Thaksin has sent three letters, but he did not ask for a royal pardon as reported in the news," Mr Nattawut said.

Thaksin outlined in the letters the truth about the political conflict and the court cases against him, he said.

***post edited--first three sentences and a link for Bangkok post articles as you are well aware***

After serving his time he could go before the Thai people and ask forgiveness for his sins and it will be given.

Which sin?

His wife bought a land. No fault. No corruption. The land is still hers. He signed ok for her to buy as per the law. Another law says he must go to jail for doing that.

:o

Using laws this way will bring Thailand to the top of funniest list.

Expect a story emanating from the government shortly about advanced negotiations between Japan and Thailand regarding an extradition treaty.

:D

No need... :o

Thaksin hopes his achievements will earn pardon from Thai king

A number of countries — including Britain and Japan — will not grant him a visa.

- Japan Times / 2009-03-12

For a holder of an English-language PhD, he certainly does struggle a great deal with the language throughout his history.

Many years ago, when I was an English teacher in Bkk, he used to have one of our teachers go to his house to give him lessons. The teacher used to have to field telephone calls when he was on another line.

let Thailand move on peacefully

If you hadn't noticed, Thailand already has thank you very much - and it will continue to do so unless your square faced friend has his way.

This is a minority viewpoint. Thaksin is a thorn in the side of the ultra-conservative right-wing government; that much is true. However, a far greater threat to their hold on Thai politics lies in the heart of the Thai people that will fight for freedom irrespective of Senor Thaksin.

After serving his time he could go before the Thai people and ask forgiveness for his sins and it will be given.

Which sin?

His wife bought a land. No fault. No corruption. The land is still hers. He signed ok for her to buy as per the law. Another law says he must go to jail for doing that.

:o

Using laws this way will bring Thailand to the top of funniest list.

Your blind stubbornness is a credit to your blind stubborn master, and typical of the Thaksinista posters. Keep making the same untrue claims over and over again, despite the facts being explained on many posts in many threads. It's not a contest similar to your warped version of democracy you know. Thaksin's guilt will not be erased if more people post claiming he's an angel than those claiming he's a devil. If you are indeed Thai, as you claim to be, and you can't see any corruption in the land deal, then it's not too difficult to see exactly how the country came to be in the mess it is.

Expect a story emanating from the government shortly about advanced negotiations between Japan and Thailand regarding an extradition treaty.

:D

I don't think he was in Japan as it is another country in which he is no longer welcome. Japan Times journos are sometimes know to travel too :o

This is a minority viewpoint. Thaksin is a thorn in the side of the ultra-conservative right-wing government; that much is true. However, a far greater threat to their hold on Thai politics lies in the heart of the Thai people that will fight for freedom irrespective of Senor Thaksin.

The preference for a dictatorship and disdain for democracy by those in absolute control is well documented.

Then we could have an election and start pretending to be a democracy!

thailand pretends to have democracy now.

In my opinion it never had one and won't have one within visible future.

the country is still semi-feudal, with aristocracy having the upper hand in running economy and politics. They don't need any form of democracy, because they would be deposed

The preference for a dictatorship and disdain for democracy by those in absolute control is well documented.

Keep on believing boys, maybe the tooth fairy will turn out to be true too.

Then we could have an election and start pretending to be a democracy!

thailand pretends to have democracy now.

In my opinion it never had one and won't have one within visible future.

the country is still semi-feudal, with aristocracy having the upper hand in running economy and politics. They don't need any form of democracy, because they would be deposed

Agreed; in this sense Thailand is similar to 21st century USA.

... heart of the Thai people that will fight for freedom irrespective of Senor Thaksin.

Errr, according to Thaksin their fight will stop when Thaksin is pardoned:

"If I get a pardon, I know my supporters would be happy and we would not need to fight back anymore and prove anything."

That's their ultimate goal of democracy.

... heart of the Thai people that will fight for freedom irrespective of Senor Thaksin.

Errr, according to Thaksin their fight will stop when Thaksin is pardoned:

That's their ultimate goal of democracy.

Absolutely not, the fight starts with the freedom that Thaksin allowed. He let the cat out of the bag, yet the cat will not follow him. That is what really worries those who control PAD/DEM/Military. They can deal with one man handily; but a nation with a taste of freedom, definitely not!

jumnien, keep to the topic - international politics is somewhere else.

the difference between thailand and usa is, that you have much greater chance to be thrown to jail or shot if you disagree with the government, than in the usa

jumnien, keep to the topic - international politics is somewhere else.

the difference between thailand and usa is, that you have much greater chance to be thrown to jail or shot if you disagree with the government, than in the usa

You are far too kind to my country!

He let the cat out of the bag, yet the cat will not follow him.

Animals do have good instincts. Credit to the cat, i say.

Blessedly sweet, of course. Unless you support those who want the cat to go back to sleep in the bag!