Question About Toys For Children

glitter1021

I have been in email contact with two gentleman that own businesses in Khao Lak. I am in the process of collecting toys and stuffed animals to send to the children of Khao Lak (mailing to these gentlemen to distribute).

My question is this... are there any animals that are considered "off limits" as a toy? I mean, like, if there was a large stuffed toy snake, would a child run away from it?

I know this may seem like a really dumb question, but I don't want to send anything that is meant to bring a smile to child's face only to have it cause a problem as it is inappropiate as a toy.

As someone that knows NOTHING of the culture in that area of the world, any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Cindy

Minnesota US

I have been in email contact with two gentleman that own businesses in Khao Lak.  I am in the process of collecting toys and stuffed animals to send to the children of Khao Lak (mailing to these gentlemen to distribute).

My question is this...  are there any animals that are considered "off limits" as a toy?  I mean, like, if there was a large stuffed toy snake, would a child run away from it?

I know this may seem like a really dumb question, but I don't want to send anything that is meant to bring a smile to child's face only to have it cause a problem as it is inappropiate as a toy. 

As someone that knows NOTHING of the culture in that area of the world, any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Cindy

Minnesota US

Kids are kids worldwide.....As long as the toys are safe toys, no small bits that can be swallowed or toys that can cause injury to others.

If you were sending to the Aceh region I would stay away from toys that have a religious meaning....eg; colouring books depicting Jesus etc...

Slightly off on a tangent here but it may be relevant to the toys glitter1021 wants to send.

In the distant past, I was involved in delivering donated second hand toys and clothes from Malaysia to an orphanage in Betong.

On a number of occasions we were charged import duty by Thai customs at the Betong border post.

Does anyone know if these import duties are still in place, if the rules have since changed or been relaxed due to the Tsunami?

Keep up the good work Cindy. As qburns57ua said, kids are kids worldwide; they’ll definitely enjoy any toys they receive. I also agree to stay away from items of a direct religious nature.

NL.

Thank you for the replies! I had totally planned on staying away from anything of a religious nature. That much I knew, and not in my nature to begin with. smile!

I was just afraid of sending an animal that might have a religious meaning that would not be considered a toy. I just didn't want to offend anyone.

As to duties, I had been informed to make sure the packages sent there to be marked as "tsunami relief" and that they would not be subject to duty. I am hoping that is correct! I would hate to have the kind men there helping to get these toys to children subject to paying to get them!

As of now, I have nothing second hand, all of the toys I have are brand new. I have had friends and co-workers donating. I went to one store to buy coloring books and crayons and when I said what I was doing, they gave them to me!

I know that there are many, many other things needed in the area but my thoughts have been about the children. I want to bring them a smile in a world that seems so out of sorts to them recently. And maybe occupy their time while the adults go about rebuilding the world once again for them.

I just wish there was more that I could do....

Thanks!

Cindy