Relocating To Bangkok - What Do You Think Of On Nut For Expat Residence?

didinoel

I have lived in On-Nut for a few years, I like it. there are plenty of malls around, some great restaurants if you look for them. traffic can get get bad most mornings but it does clear quickly. your husband can take a motorsy taxi to the BTS, it is a straight run. and depending on the time of day and which day, you can be in silom central BKK between 15 minutes and 50 minutes, thats if you take the motorway. once you live there for a while you will get to know the short cuts. it is a safe area to live, I have not heard or seen of anything bad happening, it probably does but I have never heard of it.

I lived in On-nut 6 years ago for a year and have been there now for nearly 3 years, on soi 101/1.

I hope that helps! :o

Compared with some major cities, Bangkok is a relatively safe place to live. I've not known anyone attacked or mugged since I've lived here, and that's been several years living in some of the less affluent parts. I happily walk through areas of Khlong Toey which are regarded by some as slums. On the other hand, if you are interested in your husband's safety, I'd suggest that he stays off the motorcycles. I have known (directly and indirectly) several people killed on the roads here. I'd suggest you get an apartment no more than 10 or 15 minutes' walk from a BTS station. Twenty minutes sounds just too far to me, but then again that may have been 20 minutes for a Thai person, which equates to about five for a normal westerner. :D

Hello again. I'm posting new post here.

I will be relocating to Bangkok end of this month and am currently looking for apartments/condo.

I know that the usual places for expat would be in CBD and I do prefer to live somewhere there.

However found a place that I particularly fond of in On Nut - I have been on BTS but never got to On Nut so can someone advise me what is that place like? Are there many restaurants, malls? Is it expat comfortable? I like the "modernisation" around Siam, Chidlom, Phloenchit, Asoke (have not been past Asoke unfortunately) so would I like On Nut?

Greatly appreciate your assistance here.

I don't think there's much "modernization" to interest you around On Nut. Tesco Lotus and Carrefour are OK but you'll soon get bored of looking at rows and rows of fish sauce, palm oil and cheap clothes. These shops can be useful - sometimes - but they are not entertainment. Actually, I've given up with my local branch of Carrefour as the queues are always so long.

on-nut is ok, my girlfriend lives there for years in a shop house. It is a typical Thai area, open air market, and small shops. She has had the ocassional crocadial come up from the river and walk past her place and once they found a python in her bathroom. There are some nice apartments in the area as well as a few expats living here.

Hello again. I'm posting new post here.

I will be relocating to Bangkok end of this month and am currently looking for apartments/condo.

I know that the usual places for expat would be in CBD and I do prefer to live somewhere there.

However found a place that I particularly fond of in On Nut - I have been on BTS but never got to On Nut so can someone advise me what is that place like? Are there many restaurants, malls? Is it expat comfortable? I like the "modernisation" around Siam, Chidlom, Phloenchit, Asoke (have not been past Asoke unfortunately) so would I like On Nut?

Greatly appreciate your assistance here.

It's depends on how much you can afford that. You can go to Lumpini Ville On Nut Condominium located on between On Nut Soi 3-5. Go to the property Office. They will have list of room for rent like studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom ....you can get the price with them or you can look at advertisement on the board outside office. That would be room for rent by the owner which will be little bit cheaper than rent with the property office. If you looking for service apartment you can go to another place called "Baan Sarannuch Apartment" .But I'm not sure that they will have room available or not. Because when I was there, my gf had to book in advance for 2 months, always full. You can go to check that coz not too far wallking from On Nut station, just go straight down to On Nut intersection then cross and walking around 2 mins,then you will see small road ,then you'll see the building, you can go to check that out or call 02-3331270 ext. 0 to check room available

I have the perfect solution for you (maybe). http://www.sarannuch.com/

I lived here for a year. It is a newer (3 years old) and very nice building with swimming pool, fitness etc. practically across the street from Carrfour and right on Sukhumvit. 5 minutes walk to skytrain. nice furnished 1 bedrooms cost about 14,000.

It is kind of hidden from the main road (and quieter) but it is right across from Carrfour.

They are good people there. Worth a look. Good luck.

I have just moved to my new condo in ratchadamri (behind four seasons hotel) 3 weeks ago and had been looking for 2 weeks before then, pls dont get me wrong but If you say that you have a budget of THB20,000 and you have a preference in siam, rajdamri, phloenchit, asoke, thonglor and ekkamai and also looking for an almost new apartment with modern furniture, decent kitchen for western cooking, internet ready, cable TV option and clean, modern toilet and finally close to BTS, and also you need to finalise this in couple days??

I live not too far from you, on Soi Langsuan, and have been looking at other places in the area (just walking into the lobbies and asking whenever I walk by).

Actually, a place that fits what you've just described is "The Grand" just off Rajdamri. The post ads for their rentals on the first floor, and I think they're decent value (but I've only been looking at the 2BR/2BA, which go for 30K baht/month).

Hi ajc1970, I was referring to didinoel's description of place who started the topic, just to let you know that studios are even more than 60K thb/month in Grand..

I looked at 2 different units in The Grand just last week, both 2BR/2BA at 87SQM, both offered at 30K THB/month, so we're likely talking about different places.

I'm referring to the condo building built ~1998 on Soi Mahatlek Luang 2, just of Ratchadamri Road, around the corner from the Ratchadamri BTS stop.

I mentioned the Grand because I think that it would meet all the OP's requirements (I saw 1BRs there offered for 25K, but I know from discussing with the property manager there that the price is negotiable), but I don't think it's the only building in the area that would meet her requirements.

My point was that although the area is relatively expensive, a person can find the exact things that you implied are difficult to find. I guess "almost new" is very subjective though. I'm in Baan NaVarang which was also built ~1998, and it's new/nice enough for me.

thanks everybody for being so helpful with the insights.

hubby too feel that 20 mins is really far to walk to the BTS on a daily basis. its just that this particular apartment is brand new and we would be the first person who will stay there so i guess that point is really pulling me towards it.

i only have a budget of THB20,000 for an apartment/condo and apparently with that budget, it doesnt get me much in CBD. my preference was actually siam, rajdamri, phloenchit, asoke, thonglor and ekkamai. but the apartments here are either too expensive for me or too old for my liking.

i am looking for an almost new apartment with modern furniture, decent kitchen for western cooking, internet ready, cable TV option and clean, modern toilet. a lot of the apartments have old wooden furniture which i dont like.

i would love to have this particular place at The Muse if its not too far away. Although now I am concern with think_too_mut's note where it is a holiday home and i wouldnt want to live there.

i am arriving on 25th march and will spend the first 2 days looking at apartment before choosing one that we like. what is the renting market in bangkok at the moment with the economic downturn and all? do we have much bargaining power?

Onnut is OK and pretty safe over the years there have been a few problems and the traffic is absolutely horrable in the mornings. If you like Songkran it is a great place to be because there are thousands of people lining the streets.

Something you said cought my eye:

i only have a budget of THB20,000 for an apartment/condo and apparently with that budget

Well with that kind of budget why don't you rent a two story townhouse? In Onnut you can get a nice one for around 9000 Baht 3bedrooms two bathrooms, with that savings just have the hubby grab a taxi to the BTS. Mornings are pretty tough but the afternoons the traffic moves pretty quickley once you get past the two traffic lights.

I have just moved to my new condo in ratchadamri (behind four seasons hotel) 3 weeks ago and had been looking for 2 weeks before then, pls dont get me wrong but If you say that you have a budget of THB20,000 and you have a preference in siam, rajdamri, phloenchit, asoke, thonglor and ekkamai and also looking for an almost new apartment with modern furniture, decent kitchen for western cooking, internet ready, cable TV option and clean, modern toilet and finally close to BTS, and also you need to finalise this in couple days??

I live not too far from you, on Soi Langsuan, and have been looking at other places in the area (just walking into the lobbies and asking whenever I walk by).

Actually, a place that fits what you've just described is "The Grand" just off Rajdamri. The post ads for their rentals on the first floor, and I think they're decent value (but I've only been looking at the 2BR/2BA, which go for 30K baht/month).

Hi ajc1970, I was referring to didinoel's description of place who started the topic, just to let you know that studios are even more than 60K thb/month in Grand..

I looked at 2 different units in The Grand just last week, both 2BR/2BA at 87SQM, both offered at 30K THB/month, so we're likely talking about different places.

I'm referring to the condo building built ~1998 on Soi Mahatlek Luang 2, just of Ratchadamri Road, around the corner from the Ratchadamri BTS stop.

I mentioned the Grand because I think that it would meet all the OP's requirements (I saw 1BRs there offered for 25K, but I know from discussing with the property manager there that the price is negotiable), but I don't think it's the only building in the area that would meet her requirements.

My point was that although the area is relatively expensive, a person can find the exact things that you implied are difficult to find. I guess "almost new" is very subjective though. I'm in Baan NaVarang which was also built ~1998, and it's new/nice enough for me.

I agree. obviously I misunderstood, I thought you meant the grand in mahatlek soi 1 , I also checked condos in baan na varang and yes it is a nice building. My place is in regent royal place 1.