Dictionary Thai- English (lao Is Optional)

Soulwy

Learning Thai during my short visit wasn't really my plan, but somehow I feel embarrassed not knowing the basic words.

So I am about to buy a Thai-English dictionary (also in Lao, Thai characters) 430 baht. In Ch. Rai I saw only this one, so there is nothing else to compare with. I will be visiting Mae Sai and possibly Hua Hin.

Which one do you recommend?

(please explain how the cover looks like & the price)

Collins Thai phrasebook. Green cover, picture of a temple at dusk at bottom. White "collins" writing, yellow "thai" writing, white "phrasebook" writing. Book is pocket size fits palm of hand.

Has dictionary eng-thai and thai-eng. Also has menu reader, 70 topics arranged thematically, travel and cultural tips.

Price £4.50, but I bought this in England so it may not be available in Thailand.

Edited by scottyd

I used an older edition of SE-ED's Modern Thai-English Dictionary. Attached is an image of what I assume is the new edition. The edition I have has a green cover, but otherwise looks similar. I also have their English-Thai dictionary. Both are reasonably small, but wouldn't fit in a pocket.

• The Thai-English dictionary has Thai words in Thai script, with English definitions.
  • The English-Thai dictionary has English words with Thai definitions in Thai script.

post-22359-1236970703.gif

A very good one is

SO SETHAPUTRA

Its was made by an professor during his sentence in jail for political reasons.

Its one of the most popular for daily use. Very easy to use.

English-Thai- ISBN 974-08-4011-6 / 290 Baht

Thai-English- ISBN 974-08-3254-7 / 180 Baht

She used it for more than 40 years and buy regularly the newest edition.

can find it every bookshop in Thailand.

Collins Thai phrasebook. Green cover, picture of a temple at dusk at bottom. White "collins" writing, yellow "thai" writing, white "phrasebook" writing. Book is pocket size fits palm of hand.

Has dictionary eng-thai and thai-eng. Also has menu reader, 70 topics arranged thematically, travel and cultural tips.

Price £4.50, but I bought this in England so it may not be available in Thailand.

You can buy this in Thailand if you go via a City. I have seen it in all the Kinokuniyas in Bangkok (go to Siam Paragon/Central World, both near Siam BTS, or the Emporium(if you don't know where this is, you'll be wanting to go to the other two anyway). :o