Jiu-jitsu/ Wrestling Mats In Chiang Mai

brycat

Anyone know where I can buy new or used jiu-jitsu/ wrestling mats in Chiang Mai (or Thailand in general)? The type I'm interested in are about 2.5 ft x 5.0 ft. (about 1.5-2.0 inches thick). Looking to buy a quantity of 10-20. In the States there's a manufacture called Swain that makes excellent mats. I'm not really hoping to find them in CM, so anything equivalent would be great. Thanks!

Anyone know where I can buy new or used jiu-jitsu/ wrestling mats in Chiang Mai (or Thailand in general)? The type I'm interested in are about 2.5 ft x 5.0 ft. (about 1.5-2.0 inches thick). Looking to buy a quantity of 10-20. In the States there's a manufacture called Swain that makes excellent mats. I'm not really hoping to find them in CM, so anything equivalent would be great. Thanks!

A couple years ago I went to a factory near Ban Tawai that makes furniture and padding for furniture and had some mats made. They are 1 meter by 2 meters. I put jigsaw mats over the top and don't use a tarpaulin.

MSPain

Thanks for the info MSPain. Do you remember how much those mats cost each? I found a place that custom makes yoga mats and they make 1m x 2m mats x 5cm for 1,700 baht each. Good work but was hoping for something a bit cheaper.

Thanks for the info MSPain. Do you remember how much those mats cost each? I found a place that custom makes yoga mats and they make 1m x 2m mats x 5cm for 1,700 baht each. Good work but was hoping for something a bit cheaper.

I don't remember exactly how much... I believe it was 1,000 to 1,200 baht per piece. They are 1 meter by 2 meters. They are also more than a "yoga mat". They are approximately 1 and a half to two inches thick. It is the foam particle type inside which is in most furniture padding here, covered by what I think is like a poly-type material - similar to what would be on a martial arts kicking shield. I use them for aikido type work within karate, so they will certainly cushion a fall. I weigh about 85 kilograms.

I ended up at the factory because someone we bought furniture from took me there because I was looking for such mats. It is a very out of the way place where the factory is located. And it's my opinion you would have better luck with referrals from somewhere outside of the city.

Good luck!

MSPain

You can obtain a good selection of mats from FBT Sports in Bangkok near the National Stadium. Most of the mat are for Judo measuring 1m by 2m. The most expensive (7000baht/mat) are imported from Belgium. Hope this helps