Pet Lovers: What Have You Got?

udon

My pets... Ornate Horned Frogs indigenous to South America (Argentina/Brazil)

post-13351-1140064463_thumb.jpg

post-13351-1140064517_thumb.jpg

post-13351-1140064553_thumb.jpg

post-13351-1140064576_thumb.jpg

post-13351-1140064597_thumb.jpg

The yellow one (albino) seems paralyzed from his neck down for over a year and can barely move now but he refuses to die (you can see his picture at vet). But then this creature hardly moves around anyway but very fast when it preys on insects or small animals (used to bite my finger).

I now keep the green one in my condo built-in-garden in one of the balconies, where by nature he buries himself in the soil (often with only his eyes sticking out but sometimes entirely under the soil) and finds that comfortable. It's a difficult task finding him when it comes to feeding time but then he pops out on the surface after he starts to starve in two weeks or so... Very cute croaking at night (sounds like a little puppy barking).

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cockatoo name Blu

Monkies named JackJack and JanJan

Sugar gliders named Mojo and Jojo and just had twins

Hundreds fish

Currently looking for a yorkshire terrier and a bengal cat.

In the near future a pair of Chameleons, a salt water aquarium and 2 unique freshwater aquariums for some Saratoga and Koi

Nordlys, Do you have a pic of the balcony enclosure for your frog?

I used to have a great ornate frog myself, called Ice Cube. I think everyone was impressed with a frog that could eat whole mice! It's lack of movement, general slothness and huge appetite made it a kind of mascot for my 'on the dole' days. :o

Here's my dog Odie.

post-22617-1140107843_thumb.jpg

Found her in a pet shop and was smitten.

Loves swimming, much to the fascination of the locals (ever see a thai dog go anywhere near water?)

She likes to carry her bowl around after we feed her, and loves to ride around in the back of the pickup.

My wife calls her my look sow.

Cockatoo name Blu

Hundreds fish

In the near future a pair of Chameleons, a salt water aquarium and 2 unique freshwater aquariums for some Saratoga and Koi

You keep sugar gliders in Thailand?

Do you have a pic? :o

Well, now I think of it, no. They only come out at night time and would need a flash and thats not so good for their eyes.

Wait for a little while and the twin babies might be out with mum and I will try to get a pic in the day time. They do come out some time during the day to eat their favourite worms if they get a whiff of them.

Nordlys, Do you have a pic of the balcony enclosure for your frog?

Here's where I keep my green frog.

The hand pointer shows where the frog was when I took this photo today.

post-13351-1140175460_thumb.jpg

And this is another balcony where I keep my gold fish.

It's an old picture and the this plastic tub that holds up to 180L of water is now full of moss, and all of the three "ping pong pearl" in the picture that I brought from Japan are long been dead.

post-13351-1140175577_thumb.jpg

How long did you keep your frog and how big did it grow up to be? What did you feed him on?

Nordlys, looks like a great Balcony home for your frog, I'd try to make something like that myself but balcony is full of junk at the moment!

How long did you keep your frog and how big did it grow up to be? What did you feed him on?

He lived for about 4 years and got pretty big, maybe 5-6 inches diameter. I fed him once a week a dead mouse, though sometimes he fasted for a while and wouldn't eat for a few weeks on end.

My new project is breeding some Betta Mahachai, I just picked them up the other day. :o

Hi bkkmadness,

5 - 6 inches is pretty big, big enough to cause serious injury if it bites your finger, I suppose. I have once seen a huge one about 15cm in diameter at JJ market, sold for 7,000 Baht. Is that dead mouse the frozen pinky (not the finger but newborn mouse) they sell at pet shop? The most difficult part about raising pacman frog is replenishing and maintaining stock of live food (fish, pinky, cricket, etc). I used to feed him mostly on cricket, but they're too noisy to keep in a condo and they make a lot of mess, so I switched to frozen shrimp and feed it with vitamin/calcium powder sprinkled over it every once in a week to ten days. My frog no longer has big appetite or very agile when preying on food, so I don't feed him so much anymore. I have the green one for about one year and at the size of 3 inch it does not seem to be growing any bigger.

I know a shop in JJ market that sells live pinky, but I just can't stand the idea of feeding the frog with a baby mouse, let alone watching it. :o

Where did you get Mahachai btw? Did you get that from JJ market or did you scoop them yourself in Mahachai? :D They are not the mouth-breeders, are they? I had a mahachai many years ago, but it acrobatically jumped through the tiny air hole of the lid and died.

If you are going to build a garden in your condo balcony make sure the drainage and waterproofing gets done properly or it can leak water to the balcony downstairs as it did in my condo. My condo came with that built-in garden in every unit btw.

Cockatoo name Blu

Hundreds fish

You keep sugar gliders in Thailand?

Do you have a pic? :o

Here is the gang..

post-23515-1140794912_thumb.jpg

post-23515-1140794979_thumb.jpg

post-23515-1140795042_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Our newest addition to the family, our minpin Lola. So now I've got 2 JRT's (Jacky and Sjarlie) and 2 minpins (Lek & Lola)! :o

2006_07260031.jpg

I'll bet those Jack Russells are a handful!

Cute miniature Pinscher but I thought they were generally black and tan?

20062006229.jpg[/img]

My 3 AKC Champion-bred Papillons: Gianni, Doobee, Lele. I also have a Smooth Coat Chihuahua Dog (not pictured)

Also a pair of Red Factor Canaries (both the male and female sing their hearts out!) and a Siamese Fighting Fish (Beta)

If anyone knows of a Champion show-quality Papillon at stud in LOS please PM me

Cute miniature Pinscher but I thought they were generally black and tan?

In Europe the official colours are black&tan and red (like Lola)! Lek is chocolate&tan:

2006_06300008.jpg

In the US they even have more colours:

Chocolate - solid chocolate

Chocolate and Tan - chocolate with tan points

Blue - solid blue

Blue and Tan - blue with tan points

Isabella Fawn - fawn with tan points

The Harlequin (extinct) - Salt and Pepper (not black and white)

But they are more of a handful then the Jack Russels! :o

Looks siamese to me.

Like a zoo around here;

2 Thai Dogs

1 cat

2 squirrels

35 Koi up to 0.4 m

1 redtail catfish .75m

1 silver arowana .6m

1 shovelnose tiger catfish .75m

1 aligator gar 0.4m

2x1.5m tanks assorted fish

breeding colony of pla nim in catfish pond

Is a big job at feeding time.Would love asnake but the missus won't let me.

Looks siamese to me.

Like a zoo around here;

2 Thai Dogs

1 cat

2 squirrels

35 Koi up to 0.4 m

1 redtail catfish .75m

1 silver arowana .6m

1 shovelnose tiger catfish .75m

1 aligator gar 0.4m

2x1.5m tanks assorted fish

breeding colony of pla nim in catfish pond

Is a big job at feeding time.Would love asnake but the missus won't let me.

Forgot to put in my 2 native parakeets and java hill minor bird (nok khun tong)

Actual caring for the fish is no problem,I just feed them twice a day.The filter set up is important as they are quite dirty fish.Need a concrete pond as they will dig in the mud all the time ad the water will be filthy.The filter needs to take out all the solids as well as removing the nitrates from the water,is easy to make ,you actually see a few for sale at fish shops for exorbadent prices.Without this type of filter you need to change the water reguarly.I built my filter for about 1000bt and it is great,just have to wash out the foam that takes out the solids daily(makes great liquid fertilizer).

Do some research on making filers on the net,if you want any more info pm me

Warren

BG...I saw a filter system being built in Kanchanaburi in a small resort for a fish pond and i presume for Koi. It had a natural flow through about 4 compounds they had constructed to filter the water, each compound/tank had a coarser material than the prior one, but not sure which way it flowed now, like from fine to coarse or coarse to fine.

Anyway it was natural material and seemed that it would possibly need very little cleaning except for periodic removal and either washing or replacement of the finer sand.

Anyway we are thinking of putting in a sizable Koi pond, concrete, in a new home we are building and I would need to sort out some filter system for this. It is probably going to be about 10 or so square meters and 1 meter deep.

That is one way but I imagine it would block up quite rapidly as koi are regarded as dirty fish(lots of waste).You also have to allow for a certain amount of algal growth that goes in to the filter,this is not visable to the eye apart from giving the water a slight greenish tinge.One of the main processes of the filter is to house the bacteria that eat the nitrogen byproducts of the fish and enable them to evaporate from the water.If the is doesnt work correctly you have massive algal problem and the water carries too many nitrates which can kill the fish or necessitate regular water changes,which on the scale of a koi pond is inpracticle.

I use a trickle filter,a 12 gallon drum which is filled with filter media,readily available at any fish shop,a layer of filter foam is over the top which yakes outthe solids,this foam is washed out daily.

The water pumps in the top falls over and thru the media and back into the pond.This filter services a 10000ltr pond and does both the filtering and oxygenation.I run a 90 watt pump which is the minimum you could use would recommend something larger.

You are talking of a pond 1m deep,this is about the minimum recommended depth for koi a bit deeper would be better,also if you can partialy shade it ,it helps to keep algal growth down and keeps the water a bit cooler for the fish.There are algal eating atfish aroung which are good fr keeping your pond clean.Hope this will be of some help,good luck with the pond, BG