Pet Lovers: What Have You Got?

udon

BG, yes helps somewhat.

I have been told that 1.2m is the real depth required, but if you have shaded and sheltered areas and the entire pond is ot exposed to full sun all day, then you can go shallower. I was actually hoping to get it down to .7 or .8m if I could, simply for the safety aspect for children. I have seen Koi in much shallower ponds than 1m, so how do these survive ?

The pond is shaded well, has some complete areas of shade under steps etc and is not exposed to much sun at all in reality.

The problem I would have with your filter system is the daily cleaning, even though you will say it only takes minutes, I doubt that it would be done daily in this house. So I was after something that required a little less attention and anything better than daily would be handy.

Any ideas for this ?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the Isaan, Buri-Ram, I fly into BKK in August. I want to get a dog, I've been begging the wife for a dog, she says I can have a dog, but everytime I go look, she says.... "Ewwwwww! Not that one!" Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced:

Jack Russell

Chihuahua

or some other miniature dog.

Or maybe even a German Shepard? Mini or Max

Anything but a beagle... I think I'm gonna just have to get one, and beg her, "Well honey!!! Can I keep it?" :o See, I know who's boss in my house! Yep! Yep! I'm gonna put my foot down and beg like the rest of the red blooded males I know. :D

I live in the Isaan, Buri-Ram, I fly into BKK in August. I want to get a dog, I've been begging the wife for a dog, she says I can have a dog, but everytime I go look, she says.... "Ewwwwww! Not that one!" Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced:

Jack Russell

Chihuahua

Anything but a beagle... I think I'm gonna just have to get one, and beg her, "Well honey!!! Can I keep it?" :o See, I know who's boss in my house! Yep! Yep! I'm gonna put my foot down and beg like the rest of the red blooded males I know. :D

In our house it's the other way round: First the dogs than me.............

But I can live with it :D

Wait untill you've got a dog and ur wife starts loving him/her.

Gerd

Jack Russell

Chihuahua

Jack Russells can be very aggressive with other dogs, they have small dog syndrome -- don't know they are small so they take on anything! You will have to be sure to keep it confined in the yard & house or you may find your little dog with a few very nasty bite marks!

Another possibility are Shih-tzus. They seem less aggressive and are cute.

I've just got to find one... we went to the Cambodia border market and was looking at one of the petshops near there. They had a couple of poodles and some other I don't know what. they were kind of sickly and the wife said that they were "no goot"; I need to find a place to buy or at least look. I think that if I buy it when she's not looking, I'll be ok... I hope! :D I mean, Ladies when do you draw the line on the boys bringing home the dog, and then saying. "Gee Ma, he followed me home, Can I keep him?" I tried that with a 12 pak of beer with her, she thought it was cute.... but a dog? :o

I just got a really cute and healthy Jack Russell from behind the farmers market opposite JJ market. Try there.

Wow, somebody edited my post and then cracked a funny, not really, talk about trying to steal the thunder.

Edited by Nawtilus

Is that in BKK? If so, I'll run by there on this trip. I only get to stay a week on this turn and then I won't get to go back till January. I'll have to beg real hard... Thanks for the advice....

I just got a really cute and healthy Jack Russell from behind the farmers market opposite JJ market. Try there.

Wow, somebody edited my post and then cracked a funny, not really, talk about trying to steal the thunder.

Yes in Bkk, famrers market which is opposite the jatujuk markets. JJ is on several streets, so best way to describe it without knowing the street names is to get the subway, get out at Kamphang phet station and look for the exit for farmers organisation market, I think it is exit 3, but best to look.

Then go to the very rear of the market and look to the left, you will see 2 small streets that do a loop and you will see pet stores. The one I used was the furthest soi back and the shop as you walk away from the farmers market is on the right about half way down.

Thanks! She's going to meet me in BKK. I'll drag her down there and start with "But Honey! It's my birthday!" and work my way to laying on the ground and kicking and screaming... I hope that we work something out before I lose all dignity. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Yes in Bkk, famrers market which is opposite the jatujuk markets. JJ is on several streets, so best way to describe it without knowing the street names is to get the subway, get out at Kamphang phet station and look for the exit for farmers organisation market, I think it is exit 3, but best to look.

Then go to the very rear of the market and look to the left, you will see 2 small streets that do a loop and you will see pet stores. The one I used was the furthest soi back and the shop as you walk away from the farmers market is on the right about half way down.

Is that the pet area/market known as Or Tor Kor ?

Lots of parrots and cockatoos on sale at the rear of the new market.

BG, yes helps somewhat.

I have been told that 1.2m is the real depth required, but if you have shaded and sheltered areas and the entire pond is ot exposed to full sun all day, then you can go shallower. I was actually hoping to get it down to .7 or .8m if I could, simply for the safety aspect for children. I have seen Koi in much shallower ponds than 1m, so how do these survive ?

The pond is shaded well, has some complete areas of shade under steps etc and is not exposed to much sun at all in reality.

The problem I would have with your filter system is the daily cleaning, even though you will say it only takes minutes, I doubt that it would be done daily in this house. So I was after something that required a little less attention and anything better than daily would be handy.

Any ideas for this ?

you don't need to clean daily but water is clearer if you do,there are european companys making specilisd filters for this but the ones i have seen were very bulky and quite expensive.Another idea would be to have a trickle filter as i described without the foam and also run a swimming pool (sand type)filter for a while each day,can be done on a timer,to remove solids.This would only need backwashed when starts blocking up.As for depth,one of my ponds is only 800 dee and the koi are fine,but everything you read recommnds deeper,I think it is far more important if the pond is in a sunny position

BG, yes helps somewhat.

Any ideas for this ?

you don't need to clean daily but water is clearer if you do,there are european companys making specilisd filters for this but the ones i have seen were very bulky and quite expensive.Another idea would be to have a trickle filter as i described without the foam and also run a swimming pool (sand type)filter for a while each day,can be done on a timer,to remove solids.This would only need backwashed when starts blocking up.As for depth,one of my ponds is only 800 dee and the koi are fine,but everything you read recommnds deeper,I think it is far more important if the pond is in a sunny position

Deeper the better for Koi especially in this heat, but a min 3 ft depth is what you should be aiming at really. If the pond is shaded all the better, though you will find that Koi bought in this country will be able to tolerate the heat quite well. Saying that, you may end up having to make some kind of makeshift shade for the hotter months if your pond is exposed to a lot of sun.

Filters shouldn't have to be cleaned daily, though if you are using a fine medium it'll clog up a lot quicker than if you use something courser. Of course the finer medium washed daily will 'polish' of the water a bit more.

If it was me, I'd go for a courser medium, something that could do with a quick rinse through once a week at most. If shouldn't get clogged too much if you don't overstock the pond or overfeed the fish.

2 parrots.

2 American Cats.

1 Siberian Husky

1 Katoey

:D :D :D

Is the Katoey chained up?

Does a wonderful job guarding the bed, Monty hasn't had any problems with women in his bed since he chained the pedigree himshe to the bed :o

• 2 weeks later...
In Europe the official colours are black&tan and red (like Lola)!

Hello everybody!

That is right. The FCI rules say about only b@t and red zwergpinschers (minpins). Others colors are disqualified. The country original is Germany.

Edited by Gala

At the present time we live in a condo so having a dog is out of the question, so we feed a few dogs on the beach, one we call sandy & her pup called puppy.

We have also started to take food to the dog sanctuary in Jomtien at the present time they have 300 dogs to care for. More food donations required

They are located at the far end of Jomtien beach road just before the fish restaurant

I even think that we sat next to blue the deaf dane last week (Big dog)

post-9958-1156131485_thumb.jpg

post-9958-1156131540_thumb.jpg

I have the largest, dopiest looking St. Bernard in the world. It is true that they are superb search and rescue dogs. She can search and rescue hot dogs and pieces of chicken from miles away, hiding them in her stomach for safe keeping.....

I live in the Isaan, Buri-Ram, I fly into BKK in August.

Chihuahua

Hi soic, did you buy a dog, I have two pedigree Chihauhau's and they are absolutely fantastic, I would recommend them to anybody, although they also have the small dog syndrome.

Good Luck

Moss

• 4 weeks later...
I have a Shar-pei (Chinese fighting dog) called Henry. He is great except he fights all the soi dogs, which isnt a bad thing as there are so many but is a nightmare for the missus as he pulls her around everywhere. I have had afew problems with him though but he is ok now. Did anyone else find the vet bills ridiculously high?.....

If you got it in Thailand - please tell where exactly. A breeder not a market/shop, I hope.

hi had a bully unfo had a wee accident beautiful thing it was

ditto

Korat cats, from Korat!

ditto

They're some of the possible candidates for the pets I'd like(oh....about 4, I think I'll probably end up with). There other possibilities I'm looking out for - first come, first settled it'll be.

• 2 weeks later...

HI THERE,

anybody here can HELP us. We are looking for a nice young lady to play with. Its so boring

alone. There are no choices for me here in Phuket.

I am a 2,5 year old Iguana Iguana (green leguan) I am a bit over a meter and my weight

is 1,2kg, got a nice big home here with a wunderful garden

DSCI0005.JPG

please drop us a mail to [email protected]

Anybody know what sort of cat this is, lady we bought it from said something in Thai I did not recognise, I thought it is a siamese and some pics in here seem to be same same.

definitely Siamese, and she (he?) is a beauty!

Anybody know what sort of cat this is, lady we bought it from said something in Thai I did not recognise, I thought it is a siamese and some pics in here seem to be same same.

definitely Siamese, and she (he?) is a beauty!

Indeed.... nice cat.

There are many different versions of Siamese cat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siamese_(cat)

Wow! Thats a very healthy looking Iguana. The background looks great too. Is the lizard actually in an enclosure or roaming free? I used to have a similar sized Iguana in the Uk, but had to move it on when I came to Thailand.

I have been to JJ market a couple of times and the selection of animals seems very limited. many people say how they have everything, but I have only seen a few pythons, hedgehogs, sugar gliders the occasional Skink and lots of dogs, cats and birds. The selection of unusual pets is not impressive. Should I go on a particular day of the week for pets?

HI THERE,

anybody here can HELP us. We are looking for a nice young lady to play with. Its so boring

alone. There are no choices for me here in Phuket.

I am a 2,5 year old Iguana Iguana (green leguan) I am a bit over a meter and my weight

is 1,2kg, got a nice big home here with a wunderful garden

DSCI0005.JPG

please drop us a mail to [email protected]