Getting Laptop Sent From Uk To Thailand

dageshi

Anyone know if this is feasible? I want the Samsung NC10 but can't get it here in Thailand, thought I might get it delivered to my parents house in the UK and get them to send it out. I am not a Thailand resident tho, just passing through, so would probably get it sent to a friend in bangkok and pick it up there. Anyone have any ideas on any pitfalls here? I presume I'll need to pay 7% tax?

Thanks

Anyone know if this is feasible? I want the Samsung NC10 but can't get it here in Thailand, thought I might get it delivered to my parents house in the UK and get them to send it out. I am not a Thailand resident tho, just passing through, so would probably get it sent to a friend in bangkok and pick it up there. Anyone have any ideas on any pitfalls here? I presume I'll need to pay 7% tax?

Thanks

It's not as clear cut as it seems, i'd recommend against it. I tried the exact same before. Despite finding lots of tax rates on the web, at FedEx, etc. it all loses meaning here. Once your item arrives, the bidding begins. For my laptop, the whole process took 5 days and each day the figure got higher and higher, finally settling at 11,000 baht in fees with a receipt and 6,000 without, if memory serves me correctly, plus 200 baht per day for a "storage fee". This was for a used laptop worth about $1000 at the time, if that.

If you search around there's a few posts about it. Far better to have someone carry it in, if possible.

If buying new and getting sent out, consider making it 'second hand' before being shipped to you. Send the fancy bits by separate package. Can someone carry it over for you? The issue there is one of trust and what's inside? There was a similar thread going the other way some months ago. Having a "repaired: sticker on the laptop might add weight to the arugment that it was sent out of Thailand for repairs?

Thanks

It's not as clear cut as it seems, i'd recommend against it. I tried the exact same before. Despite finding lots of tax rates on the web, at FedEx, etc. it all loses meaning here. Once your item arrives, the bidding begins. For my laptop, the whole process took 5 days and each day the figure got higher and higher, finally settling at 11,000 baht in fees with a receipt and 6,000 without, if memory serves me correctly, plus 200 baht per day for a "storage fee". This was for a used laptop worth about $1000 at the time, if that.

If you search around there's a few posts about it. Far better to have someone carry it in, if possible.

That would be a lot to get nicked for on a NC10. You could probably fly to Hong Kong and handcarry one back to BKK for that much.

Edited by OriginalPoster

going to see if I can get the MSI Wind U100 at pantip. my current laptop is rapidly deteriorating (the screen goes haywire after a certain amount of time on) so unfortunately gonna need a replacement in the next week.

I got done 30% for my electrical goods which included a printer & scanner, I had my laptop on my person. To Value them the typed the model numbers into a computer, (no idea what program) and I got charged 30% on new price plus 200bht a day storage and a few other minor fees. Defiantly get it bought in on you. Note, I was as a tourist with an onward ticket 2 weeks later. I should have learnt my lesson about the Land of Scams then !!!!