Transitioning

thisisme1995

What would seem to be the toughest issue for a young teenage boy as far as moving to Thailand? Puberty seems to be hard enough and as a single mother (father deceased) and no other close male role models, other than an older brother, I was just wondering what kind of psychological impact this could have culturally speaking? I have heard that the Thai people are extremely nice, this has proved to be true through the few I have met over the years here in the states. As for culture shock, is there an easy way to prepare him? He is a pretty well adjusted and mild tempered child, so I don't think the change will affect him too drastically. I would appreciate any advice from mothers and fathers who have teenage boys. Thank you very much for your help.

It all boils down to location. You don't explain as to where in Thailand that will be. I will assume that it will be a big city. If so I can't see any problems other than the stardard problems one wouild get with a teenage boy. He will still be able to enjoy the luxuries of the western world.

Whereas, if you were to settle in the middle of Isaan, for example, then I personally think it would destroy him. Where I live drugs and alcohol are a big problem with teenagers, especially at public events/concerts. I wouldn't just drop a teenager into a rural enviroment. He would need to be phased in.

Sorry I can't be anymore helpful than that. Hopefully he'll be fine.

Edited by coventry

What would seem to be the toughest issue for a young teenage boy as far as moving to Thailand? Puberty seems to be hard enough and as a single mother (father deceased) and no other close male role models, other than an older brother, I was just wondering what kind of psychological impact this could have culturally speaking? I have heard that the Thai people are extremely nice, this has proved to be true through the few I have met over the years here in the states. As for culture shock, is there an easy way to prepare him? He is a pretty well adjusted and mild tempered child, so I don't think the change will affect him too drastically. I would appreciate any advice from mothers and fathers who have teenage boys. Thank you very much for your help.

Sometimes, when I go to the school that my (5 yrs old) daughter attends (Japan) , I can see expat tenagers and they are well behaved, even playing pianos.

Not that they look nice - butt draggers, like rap - not sure what would they have done in a society different to Japan.

The "cultural shock" is a fad but may bring some harm. It shows like "everything was better back home".

It should not be too hard to enjoy Thailand and it's tropical and laid back life.

Thisisme, although I am now married, I made several international moves as a single working mother, including when I first arrived in Bangkok. The moves with a young male teen were definately the hardest, no doubt. And my teen is a very easy-going young man.

One of the hardest issues - especially if you've not had an expat assignment before - might be that many children in the big international schools have access to a LOT of money. Even though I have a good expatriate package I just couldn't compete. That's really hard on a young teenager who desperately wants to fit in. Of course there are many kids who don't fit that mould, but most kids will see the flashy/rich ones first.

Overseas I've found there are not many options for young teens to make friends outside their school. A lot of this is language-barrier related. Because of this they spend a lot of time in school-related activities, so it is really important to find a school that is the right 'fit'. Back home my son trained with a swim squad based at a public pool. In addition to his schoolfriends this gave him friends outside school. But in each of his overseas schools the swim team has been based at the school. If your teen is not comfortable in his school it could have a bigger overall effect than it would back home.

I suggest looking up BAMBI Bangkok, while most members have younger children there is at least one with a son a similar age to yours. They are an invaluable resource to have around.

Thisisme, although I am now married, I made several international moves as a single working mother, including when I first arrived in Bangkok. The moves with a young male teen were definately the hardest, no doubt. And my teen is a very easy-going young man.

One of the hardest issues - especially if you've not had an expat assignment before - might be that many children in the big international schools have access to a LOT of money. Even though I have a good expatriate package I just couldn't compete. That's really hard on a young teenager who desperately wants to fit in. Of course there are many kids who don't fit that mould, but most kids will see the flashy/rich ones first.

Overseas I've found there are not many options for young teens to make friends outside their school. A lot of this is language-barrier related. Because of this they spend a lot of time in school-related activities, so it is really important to find a school that is the right 'fit'. Back home my son trained with a swim squad based at a public pool. In addition to his schoolfriends this gave him friends outside school. But in each of his overseas schools the swim team has been based at the school. If your teen is not comfortable in his school it could have a bigger overall effect than it would back home.

I suggest looking up BAMBI Bangkok, while most members have younger children there is at least one with a son a similar age to yours. They are an invaluable resource to have around.

Thank you so much for your help, it is nice to see that there are some things in the area for him. I think he'll be alright, I was concerned about the psychological damage. He already has a physical impairment. He is a beautiful child.

I apologize for not checking this one last time I popped in, but I am glad to see the responses. I was initially thinking of settling in Chiang Mai. Although I am told that Bangkok is better, I'm not sure how though. I would just love for my son to settle in and enjoy his new school and surroundings. If he finds the new school too difficult, then I will have to shop around to see if I can find something better for him. Can anyone tell me if there are martial arts schools there, he is interested in that.

I just want to thank everyone for their input on this, I am really worried about it. Thank you all so much.

thisisme1995