Help! I Start Work February 1st! What To Do?

I have just been employed by a large hotel in senior management. The thing is that the contract starts February 1st (2 weeks from now). I am from Norway, 36 years old, currently residing in Cyprus.

What do I do? I qualify for tourist visa on arrival, but from reading around this is not the right thing to do(?) Do I need a non-imm B? Will I get that in such a short time from the Thai embassy here on Cyprus? What information exactly do I need to provide them with at the embassy? Can this be done through the travel agent? When I get the WP in Thailand will I still have to run every 90 days?

I am sorry about making a new post about this, but I am a little stressed because of the short notice I have... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, and if there are additional issues that would be important for me to know about I hope you can tell me! THANKS!!!

Royal Thai Consulate, Cyprus

40 Evagoras Ave., Flat 5, Nicosia, Cyprus.

Tel. (357) 244-4666, 244-4470

Fax: (357) 246-3021

Don't know if above is current of not but it is first entry from Google. I would take what you have (letter/contract or whatever) and try to obtain a B visa now. I would do myself or at least call them first as you may be able to explain any shortcoming on paperwork they might want.

If you have legal employment at a senior level I would expect you to be able to obtain a work permit and extension of stay from immigration here in Thailand on an annual basis.

If you are unable to obtain visa now it is likely to require a two or three day trip to a close by country later and you can not legally work until you have the visa/work permit.

You need a letter of employment with your salary in it. The letter should state "

During his stay in Thailand our company agrees to pay all expenses related to our business. "

Submit along with this letter, the employers company registration paperwork, by-laws, shareholders list and Vat payments for the last 3 months. This should all be signed by the MD and stamped with the companies seal.

You'll get a single entry 90 day visa. In Thailand after your work permit, you'll apply for the extension of stay permit based on business.

If you need help,our legal staff can do the extension for 6,500 Baht plus 7% Vat. The work permit professional fee is also 6,500 Baht plus 7% VAT.

www.lawyer.th.com

Thank you for your help!

One more question: Do I need to book a roundtrip ticket or is it sufficient with a one-way?

Immigration or labour department doesn't check on tickets as far as i know.

So one way should be ok.

I stayed on a non o immigrant for a year last year in thailand. nobody asked anything about tickets. i had a one way

You can also look at it from the cost side, a one way is 75 % of the price of a return , so if you want to return for some reason a few months later an open return would be better value.

Thank you all so much for your kind assistance! I will go to the Thai Consulate here in Cyprus tomorrow, and will be issued with a 90 days visa. 40 CYP (about 50 GBP for express issue... takes 1 hour!

Again, thanks a lot!

Edited by Edorf

I am left wondering why your new employer has not been telling you all this information.

Their HR dept should be keeping you informed, as they will need documentary proof of

your qualifications in order to apply for your work permit.

It makes me wonder if you job offer is for real!!

Exactly what I was thinking , Astral

Surely it is the hotel's duty to get the WP sorted and inform Edorf what is going on.

Maybe they are expecting him to arrive on a 30day tourist and then they will sort it out from there, but either way they should keep him informed .

Royal Thai Consulate, Cyprus

40 Evagoras Ave., Flat 5, Nicosia, Cyprus.

Tel. (357) 244-4666, 244-4470

Fax: (357) 246-3021

Don't know if above is current of not but it is first entry from Google. I would take what you have (letter/contract or whatever) and try to obtain a B visa now. I would do myself or at least call them first as you may be able to explain any shortcoming on paperwork they might want.

If you have legal employment at a senior level I would expect you to be able to obtain a work permit and extension of stay from immigration here in Thailand on an annual basis.

If you are unable to obtain visa now it is likely to require a two or three day trip to a close by country later and you can not legally work until you have the visa/work permit.

That address is still current Lop.

To those that worry for me, do not:-) Everything is in order. Interviews, thorough reference checks written and professional. The reason for the haste on their part is because of the aftermaths of the Tsunami and one of the reasons for employing me is some parts due to the fact that I have senior crisis management hotel experience (restructuring, quality and organisational, marketing in bound etc etc). This is a medium/large (for Phuket) 4 star plus hotel. They will handle everything in regards to WP and extensions... It was just that I wanted to make sure that I get the proper visa here in Cyprus for my first entry so to not create any future problems... did not want to bother the owners with that if I did not have to as they have their hands full. All is now in order.... 90 days non-imm B visa... see you there:-)

Again thanks for all help!

Edited by Edorf

To those that worry for me, do not:-)  Everything is in order.  Interviews, thorough reference checks written and professional.  The reason for the haste on their part is because of the aftermaths of the Tsunami and one of the reasons for employing me is some parts due to the fact that I have senior crisis management hotel experience (restructuring, quality and organisational, marketing in bound etc etc).  This is a medium/large (for Phuket) 4 star plus hotel.  They will handle everything in regards to WP and extensions...  It was just that I wanted to make sure that I get the proper visa here in Cyprus for my first entry so to not create any future problems... did not want to bother the owners with that if I did not have to as they have their hands full.  All is now in order.... 90 days non-imm B visa... see you there:-)

Again thanks for all help!

Good luck Edorf :o