No Law Against Fires?

aglae4

I live in Kamala.

Last year they have been building 7 houses around my house. And every day the workers started fires, burning all kinds of construction rests. That includes plastic, paint and chemical products. So, I got asthma, as I was every day in this smoke! Nobody in my family never had asthma and I never had problems before! I have a very good health (normally!).

When the building was finished, my asthma stopped also.

BUT now, there is a "recycling" place about 100 meters from my house. I mean a place where trucks brings waste like plastic, steel, and so on. This place became very big in the last few month. And again they are burning, so again there is smoke coming from there : very black smoke, very smelly smoke. They do not do that everyday but sometimes. Like for instance they started a fire last night, it was burning in the nighttime and this morning until now (afternoon). So now I have red eyes, very soar, and soar throat also!

In my country when they install such a place they ask the neighbourhood first.....So they never install that between houses.

And there is also a law against fires!

How is the law in Thailand? Can I go to the police or another authority to do something about this? Or do I risk to get killed if I complain?

What can I do other then sell my house like some thais told me allready (the doctor at the hospital for instance).

Don't they know that when you burn certain chemicals you produce PCB (that is in french)? PCB causes lung and other cancers!

I am not the only person concerned here. Everybody that lives around this place is concerned! What can I do?

Sorry for my bad english!

You can contact the Pollution Control Department. http://www.pcd.go.th

Experiencing a pollution problem? Smelly factory next door? Somebody dumping garbage where they shouldn't? Someone fouling a waterway? If you'll supply us with a few details, we'll look into this problem. If you prefer, we also have three ways to complaint; By telephone at 66 2298 2597 (Bangkok) or

Chemical Emergency Response Supporting Center Hotline 1650 or

By the form below.

The Department reserves the right to discard any complaints deemed frivolous or mischievous. Also note that we cannot accept anonymous complaints. It goes without saying that we will only investigate pollution complaints in Thailand.

Complaint Submission Form

First Name * Last Name

Address Soi

Street Tambon/Subdistrict

Amphoe/District Changwad/Province

Phone * Fax

Email Address * means required field.

Please provide required data above, should we need to reach you for more info.

You can contact the Pollution Control Department. http://www.pcd.go.th

Experiencing a pollution problem? Smelly factory next door? Somebody dumping garbage where they shouldn't? Someone fouling a waterway? If you'll supply us with a few details, we'll look into this problem. If you prefer, we also have three ways to complaint; By telephone at 66 2298 2597 (Bangkok) or

Chemical Emergency Response Supporting Center Hotline 1650 or

By the form below.

The Department reserves the right to discard any complaints deemed frivolous or mischievous. Also note that we cannot accept anonymous complaints. It goes without saying that we will only investigate pollution complaints in Thailand.

Complaint Submission Form

First Name * Last Name

Address Soi

Street Tambon/Subdistrict

Amphoe/District Changwad/Province

Phone * Fax

Email Address * means required field.

Please provide required data above, should we need to reach you for more info.

Thank you. I think that is exactly what I need.

I was also thinking about going tomorrow to OrBorTor to know if there are allready complaints about this.

I certainly do not want to stay anonymous when I complain, but I want to be sure that the owner of this dump does not know that the complain comes from me as it is very dangerous to have enemies in Thailand!

Well, it seems to me that this site works out of Bangkok and although they require your name and address before they will look into your complaint I doubt that someone will come to deliberately point the finger at you.

It might be an idea if you take photo's of this fire and the direction of the smoke when it is going over the houses and polluting them though so that you have something to back up your complaints and also keep your receipts from the Hospital where they had to deal with the direct results of your inhalation of bad air. I'm sure somewhere on the same site it said that you can apply for compensation but you would have to check again for sure.

You are, however, right that it is dangerous to have enemies in Thailand.

Well, it seems to me that this site works out of Bangkok and although they require your name and address before they will look into your complaint I doubt that someone will come to deliberately point the finger at you.

It might be an idea if you take photo's of this fire and the direction of the smoke when it is going over the houses and polluting them though so that you have something to back up your complaints and also keep your receipts from the Hospital where they had to deal with the direct results of your inhalation of bad air. I'm sure somewhere on the same site it said that you can apply for compensation but you would have to check again for sure.

You are, however, right that it is dangerous to have enemies in Thailand.

Yes, I will take pictures next time. That is a good idea.

Tomorrow i'll go to OrBorTor to know if nobody else complained. As it is very close to a school (about 50 meter), I suppose they will know about it. And maybe they have an agreement to make fires in the weekend......If it was normal smoke, no problem for me (even if I don't like it), but it is the chemicals that are dangerous.

Before, I said it produces PCB.... I suppose you corrected it yourself : it was "dioxyne", that I meant. The smoke must be affecting my brain already!!!!!!!

As about getting compensation for the medical costs (and it was expensive!), that is not my intention. I only would like it to stop.

Thank you for your help.