Aikido In Pattaya

braverrouge

For all who are interested to learn and/or train Aikido in Pattaya please continue reading .... :o

Since you continue reading this, I assume that you have an interest in Aikido are corious or have nothing better to do than reading this topic and give your comments ......

First but not last, we are NOT teaching how to fight !!!

If you are looking to learn how to fight then I would recommend you to close this page and search for some other articles about martial arts and/or fighting system ....

We are a small group of Aikidokas (Aikido practitioners) who are training Aikido at Mikes Shopping mall.

Our class is usually led by our head instructor T.Hattori Shihan from Japan who is holding a 6 Dan degree in Aikikai Aikido and 7th Dan in Toho Iai.

However, whenever our Sensei is not in town, another senior student will lead the class so that the training can continue.

I've to highlight that our dojo is Not a business .... Of course there are some fees but those fees are kept to pay the "high" rental at Mikes shopping mall.

Any access, is spend on inviting other great teachers from Bangkok and/or overseas to give seminars in Pattaya.

For more details on Aikido and our training schedule please check out our website www.aikido-pattaya.com

Hope to see you guys around ....

Ps.:

Just in case you are wondering how this is Not a business ... I do have a job that is paying my bills.

Aikido happen to become a part of my life after my regular working hrs :D

post-52359-1237195599_thumb.jpg

post-52359-1237195606_thumb.jpg

I'm not trolling here; I am genuinely interested in the answer to this question:

If a martial art doesn't teach you how to fight, then what does it teach you?

It teaches you peace and harmony and self defense. It is one step from actual fighting.

I'm not trolling here; I am genuinely interested in the answer to this question:

It teaches you peace and harmony and self defense. It is one step from actual fighting.

I guess I put self defense in the same category as fighting when it involves engaging an attacker (i.e. not just running away or attempting to verbally deescalate a confrontation -- both very reasonable but non-martial approaches). The pictures in the OP show people wearing a gi and getting thrown, which are at least the trappings of a fighting system, to my eyes.

I guess I put self defense in the same category as fighting when it involves engaging an attacker (i.e. not just running away or attempting to verbally deescalate a confrontation -- both very reasonable but non-martial approaches). The pictures in the OP show people wearing a gi and getting thrown, which are at least the trappings of a fighting system, to my eyes.

I am no expert. In the past I trained with Sensei Kushida in Yoshokia style Aikido. A Stylistic difference between Aikido and for instance Taekwondo, is that in Aikido their are no punches. With the exception of what you may call an attention punch. Also. no kicks in Aikido. In my very inadequate opinion, Aikido is a much more effective, and useful martial art. I also have a small amount of training in Hun Moo Kwan and Chun Do KwanTaekwondo with Grand Master Kil, and under the auspices of Grand Master Rose. I am the least of all their students.

I would like to get back into Aikido. Unfortunately I have one year and two months before I will retire in Thailand.

If you do a little self study in different martial art styles/disciplines you will realize that 90% of them are designed to seriousley injure or even directly kill your attacker.

In Aikido however, the idea is not to harm an attacker at all.

A fight, from my point of view, is when 2 or more people wrestle each others with targeting to hurt/damage the opposite as much as they can.

Like in a verbal argument with your partner ... you will use hart words in trying to "hurt" her/his feelings.

I hope this answers your question :o

Thanks, you've got the point

I am no expert. In the past I trained with Sensei Kushida in Yoshokia style Aikido. A Stylistic difference between Aikido and for instance Taekwondo, is that in Aikido their are no punches. With the exception of what you may call an attention punch. Also. no kicks in Aikido. In my very inadequate opinion, Aikido is a much more effective, and useful martial art. I also have a small amount of training in Hun Moo Kwan and Chun Do KwanTaekwondo with Grand Master Kil, and under the auspices of Grand Master Rose. I am the least of all their students.

I would like to get back into Aikido. Unfortunately I have one year and two months before I will retire in Thailand.

Why not make use of those 1 year plus and start training Aikido again :o

Hope to see you at our dojo

Engagin an attacker would be directly confronted to an attack, means blocking etc.

An Aikidoka would never try to do that, he would just get out of the way and let the force of nature do the rest.

That what you see in the picture is exactly what happened.

The guy in the gi was attacking the little girl at full speed, the only thing she did was getting out of the way and gave an additional whip to ensure that the guys gets away from her.

I'm no expert, but I think that Aikido practitioners do a little more than "just let nature take its course". I believe that they purposely cause pain to an attacker to discourage them from continuing the attack.

Not that anything is wrong with that.

I'm no expert, but I think that Aikido practitioners do a little more than "just let nature take its course". I believe that they purposely cause pain to an attacker to discourage them from continuing the attack.

Not that anything is wrong with that.

Yes, Aikido practitioners are able to apply lots of pain on an attacker if they want to but most of the time the pain will be just for a slice of a second to weaken the attacker before turning in such a way that force of nature can take place :o

The main purpose is not to harm the attacker at all.

My sensei was always saying "You can do this, but we don't do it here" Whenever thinking about his words, it makes me smile all the time.

Funny fitness. Very polular among sys admins. Totally useless for self defence. Take many years to train some usefull skills.

I assume that you are one of those loosers who tried Aikido once or twice in hope to become a Steven Seagul type ...

Yes, Aikido is difficult to learn but this is how life is ... skills are earned by training not by watching and making stupid comments on things they don't understand

Edited by braverrouge

This is nonsense. Aikido was originally devised as a killing art.....it was only after the Japanese defeat of world war 2 and the ban on all martial arts in Japan that it became about peace and harmony....after which it was hijacked by a bunch of western hippie types who liked to claim it was "one step from fighting"...the way it is practiced today by the OP and his ilk is little better than a choreographed dance routine...if it is studied old-style with a proper teacher, then there may be some credibility....however finding such a teacher is very difficult....and for westerner nigh impossible....

However, one of aikido's biggest merits, if studied correctly, is that it is largely a self-study based on life-death contemplation, as were many original samurai arts, and not to be considered a sport......so called modern martial arts such as points karate, taekwan do, judo, and MMA have so tainted the real martial spirit with all of the rules and entertainment quotient that they can hardly be called martial arts anymore, but rather martial sports, martial entertainment, or in the OP's case, martial dancing...now grasshopper , please try and snatch the pebble from my hand..........

Edited by jellymeister

aikido is a good mental physical spiritual practise however you will never be a killing machine. As has been previosly stated orginal aikido along with tai chi judo etc were taught and practised to disfigure maime and kill.

there is a video on youtube of an aikido master who bet $5000.00 of his own money he could beat any mma fighter.................. he was $5000.00 poorer within minutes

This is nonsense. Aikido was originally devised as a killing art.....it was only after the Japanese defeat of world war 2 and the ban on all martial arts in Japan that it became about peace and harmony....after which it was hijacked by a bunch of western hippie types who liked to claim it was "one step from fighting"...the way it is practiced today by the OP and his ilk is little better than a choreographed dance routine...if it is studied old-style with a proper teacher, then there may be some credibility....however finding such a teacher is very difficult....and for westerner nigh impossible....

However, one of aikido's biggest merits, if studied correctly, is that it is largely a self-study based on life-death contemplation, as were many original samurai arts, and not to be considered a sport......so called modern martial arts such as points karate, taekwan do, judo, and MMA have so tainted the real martial spirit with all of the rules and entertainment quotient that they can hardly be called martial arts anymore, but rather martial sports, martial entertainment, or in the OP's case, martial dancing...now grasshopper , please try and snatch the pebble from my hand..........

Jellymeister ... I'm not sure where you've got your informations from but I've the feeling that there's a slight misunderstanding between Aikido and Aikijutsu.

Aikido was never devised as a killing tool, neither before or after the world war 2. Different from Aikijutsu where the main purpose of each technique was designed for full destruction or death of the opponent.

Yes, practicing of any kind of martial arts was banned after WW2 for a periode. Some fine Japanese martial arts died and some survived the difficult time.

There's no new style or old style teaching in Aikido. The way Aikido is practiced these days is not much different from the "old" days.

Well, maybe with the different that we've Air conditioning.

Again, Aikijutsu has different ways to teach, the old way and the modern way.

And as you mentioned finding a master teaching the "old way" is very difficult to find these days and it would be very unlikely that they would teach any "whitemen" at all, why ? .... I don't know !!! This must have somthing to do with the "Japanes way"

Anyhow, I will go out dancing now and if you don't move I will snatch the pepple from ur hand faster than u can blink with ur eyes

aikido is a good mental physical spiritual practise however you will never be a killing machine. As has been previosly stated orginal aikido along with tai chi judo etc were taught and practised to disfigure maime and kill.

there is a video on youtube of an aikido master who bet $5000.00 of his own money he could beat any mma fighter.................. he was $5000.00 poorer within minutes

I saw that video too but if you had watched a little closer to the "fighters" and not on the title you would have realized that it was another martial art and not Aikido at all.

I'm not really sure but if I'm not wrong it's a Kyoshu guy, who knows ...

aikido is a good mental physical spiritual practise however you will never be a killing machine.

Don't tell that to Stephen Seagall! :o

I never had a chance to train with him but from some old seminar clips a would say that he's a very skilled man.

I wouldn't say he's a killing machine but I'm sure that he would be the last I want to try stealing the wallet from his pocket :D

Jellymeister ... I'm not sure where you've got your informations from but I've the feeling that there's a slight misunderstanding between Aikido and Aikijutsu.

Aikido was never devised as a killing tool, neither before or after the world war 2. Different from Aikijutsu where the main purpose of each technique was designed for full destruction or death of the opponent.

Yes, practicing of any kind of martial arts was banned after WW2 for a periode. Some fine Japanese martial arts died and some survived the difficult time.

There's no new style or old style teaching in Aikido. The way Aikido is practiced these days is not much different from the "old" days.

I think that Jellymeister is basically right. Aikijutsu was revised into Aikido after WW II in order to not break the law imposed by the U.S.. That is what I read during my short time studying Jujitsu anyway.

I would guess that Seagall studied the original art?

The root of Aikido came from Aikijutsu, however after many years of training O'sense (The founder of Aikido) realized that thrue martial arts was not to defeat each others. This was the turning point for Aikido to become what it is today.

Aikido is the realization of Love.

If you think that ``martial art'' means to have opponents and enemies and to be strong and defeat them, you are mistaken. The true spirit of the martial arts is to be one with the universe and have no enemies. The essence of the martial arts is the spirit of loving protection of all beings in the universe.

Morihei Ueshiba

As for Seagall, I can't recall the name of his master but know that the master bacame his later father in law.

While Segal might not get an acting job as with a Shakspearian Acting Troupe! LOL! (Bet he makes more money than

proper actors! )

To the point, people make jokes re Segals movies, however, I do think Steven Segal was one of the few

non-Japanese to have a fully running & recognized Aikido in Japan of his own, I think for 15 years. And

either had his own, or was one of the senior people of a USA Aikido organization, I do recall years back, (15 years!+)

reading in Black Belt Mag, about Segal instructing good aikido lessons at various seminars then & over the years.

I think he is or was consider to be be highly skilled in Aikido world?

I cannot provide references to this, but again years back, I was reading an article on Aikido by a

respected Master (cannot remember name, but certainly was known internationally.)

I am open to correction on this, but I do for sure remember reading, that O Sensei once said

the real way to defeat an attacker was to use Atemi Waza (which basically means striking)?

I had once a very old Judo book probably one of the early western books I guess written on

the Art of Judo, & the last 2 chapters of the book were all about Atemi Waza (striking vital points)

in Judo. (was a judo book, I m not getting confused with jujitsu. )

I think its like a dog chasing its tail, when I see on many forums, "which style is better" general

debates. On the street the "style that is better" is the style of the person left standing after the

street attack..... usually that person is a master of a style called being a "violent street criminal"

& they win by any means possible, usually by deception & setting the victim up.

Here is a link to a free online ebook by Geoff Thompson who is an expert on Reality Street Self Protection

& was mainly a Shotokan Karate man. (he cross trained in many styles, rates boxing highly).

The PRE FIGHT information in this online resource, is potentially a Life Saver in itself...

Dead or Alive Geoff Thompson online thanks to Fight Times Mag

see http://www.fighttimes.com/magazine/magazine.asp?columnid=14

Well, maybe with the different that we've Air conditioning.

Again, Aikijutsu has different ways to teach, the old way and the modern way.

And as you mentioned finding a master teaching the "old way" is very difficult to find these days and it would be very unlikely that they would teach any "whitemen" at all, why ? .... I don't know !!! This must have somthing to do with the "Japanes way"

Anyhow, I will go out dancing now and if you don't move I will snatch the pepple from ur hand faster than u can blink with ur eyes

No sense in me repeating what is already well documented elsewhere....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido

You can see that aikido came from many different sources.....

Re some of your other points...see this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gozo_Shioda

and this quote in particular

"In one incident[1], he was drinking in a bar with an army friend of his in Shanghai when his friend got into an argument with a local gang member, which resulted in the gang member calling upon the other 3 members of his group to come to his assistance. Shanghai was a very lawless place at that time and the Chinese gang were intent on killing the two Japanese soldiers. Shioda and his friend managed to get away briefly but were soon cornered inside a room by the four gang members. In the ensuing fight, Shioda broke the leg of one of the gang members, the arm of another, and finished off another by punching him hard in the stomach, all using aikido techniques and principles. He later described this incident as his "aikido enlightenment", and stated that you could only truly appreciate what aikido was about once you had used it in a life-or-death situation such as this"

so much for peace and love......

finally re seagal or quite humorously seagull as the OP called him, it is widely known that he married a Japanese girl whose father had a dojo and his rank skyrocketed overnight from junior blackbelt to high ranking master wizard expert(not sure of the degree number but sure you can find out about this yourself) or whatever they are called....

although I liked a few of his movies like the first one, it is impossible to say whether any of these hollywood types are any good as fighters/warriors/etc because we only see them in movies, again with lots of choreography.....

steven seagal called one of his stunt men " a little boy" and would have have no problem sorting him out, the stunt man was in his sixties and a very famous old school wrestler, when he heard this he dragged steven seagal out of his trailer and around the film set by his ear.

i think the guy was called gene labell

The point, I think, is to teach discipline (physical/mental).........the last thing you ever want to do is fi.........that is the last resort. I think you do learn how to fight......but more than that you learn how to live a good life and react to situations.......avoid conflicts.

In Aikido you learn to use your opponents force to your advantage........the idea is to, I think (not an expert at all) is to channel your opponents force/strength in a direction (usually circles) that will give you an advantage.

In theory and often in practice, an Aikido Master will win when push comes to shove........but the best strategy is always to avoid conflict and walk/run away.

While Segal might not get an acting job as with a Shakspearian Acting Troupe! LOL! (Bet he makes more money than

proper actors! )

To the point, people make jokes re Segals movies, however, I do think Steven Segal was one of the few

non-Japanese to have a fully running & recognized Aikido in Japan of his own, I think for 15 years. And

either had his own, or was one of the senior people of a USA Aikido organization, I do recall years back, (15 years!+)

reading in Black Belt Mag, about Segal instructing good aikido lessons at various seminars then & over the years.

I think he is or was consider to be be highly skilled in Aikido world?

I cannot provide references to this, but again years back, I was reading an article on Aikido by a

respected Master (cannot remember name, but certainly was known internationally.)

I am open to correction on this, but I do for sure remember reading, that O Sensei once said

the real way to defeat an attacker was to use Atemi Waza (which basically means striking)?

I had once a very old Judo book probably one of the early western books I guess written on

the Art of Judo, & the last 2 chapters of the book were all about Atemi Waza (striking vital points)

in Judo. (was a judo book, I m not getting confused with jujitsu. )

I think its like a dog chasing its tail, when I see on many forums, "which style is better" general

debates. On the street the "style that is better" is the style of the person left standing after the

street attack..... usually that person is a master of a style called being a "violent street criminal"

& they win by any means possible, usually by deception & setting the victim up.

Here is a link to a free online ebook by Geoff Thompson who is an expert on Reality Street Self Protection

& was mainly a Shotokan Karate man. (he cross trained in many styles, rates boxing highly).

The PRE FIGHT information in this online resource, is potentially a Life Saver in itself...

Dead or Alive Geoff Thompson online thanks to Fight Times Mag

see http://www.fighttimes.com/magazine/magazine.asp?columnid=14

Gerry, Thanks for your comments and the link.