Aikido In Pattaya

braverrouge

Jellymeister, Thanks for posting the link about Gozo Shioda. I remember reading this article a while ago and must admit that I telling all my "adult" students that in situations where your attacker doesn't leaves you any choices, you will need to harm them in such a way that they won't get the idea to attack you again.

However, my intention wasn't to open up a discussion board to see who's right or wrong in aspect of martial arts/Aikido.

My intention was more or less to get peoples attention and to let them know that there's actually a small group of people practicing Aikido in Pattaya.

Learning how to defend yourself and, maybe, gaining inner calmes is what most Aikido practicioners can archive.

Tks

I'm no expert, but I think that Aikido practitioners do a little more than "just let nature take its course". I believe that they purposely cause pain to an attacker to discourage them from continuing the attack.

Not that anything is wrong with that.

Yes, Aikido practitioners are able to apply lots of pain on an attacker if they want to but most of the time the pain will be just for a slice of a second to weaken the attacker before turning in such a way that force of nature can take place :o

The main purpose is not to harm the attacker at all.

My sensei was always saying "You can do this, but we don't do it here" Whenever thinking about his words, it makes me smile all the time.

Forgive my cheeckyness. He is talking about the extra step.

The root of Aikido came from Aikijutsu, however after many years of training O'sense (The founder of Aikido) realized that thrue martial arts was not to defeat each others. This was the turning point for Aikido to become what it is today.

Aikido is the realization of Love.

If you think that ``martial art'' means to have opponents and enemies and to be strong and defeat them, you are mistaken. The true spirit of the martial arts is to be one with the universe and have no enemies. The essence of the martial arts is the spirit of loving protection of all beings in the universe.

Morihei Ueshiba

As for Seagall, I can't recall the name of his master but know that the master bacame his later father in law.

Now Grass Hopper I will tell you a story: (sorry I could not help using this old clisshae(spelling ?))

This is a story told to me by Sensie Takashi Kushida. Sensei Kushida is unquestionably one of the best Aikido Senseis in the world. He is Japanese and teaches all races in Aikido Yoshokai, Genbu Sotojitsu, Aikido sword, Jo, and Boken.

A long time ago their was a famous Samurai Martial Arts Master. He was well known by his reputation as warrior, and Samurai. He would travel all over Japan. One day while traveling in a small boat on a lake. He was confronted by a young Samurai. This young man wanted to make himself a reputation by fighting, defeating, and perhaps even killing the other Samurai. He asked the other Samurai what is your style of fighting? He said No Fighting Win Style! Emboldened the other Samurai challenged him to a fight. This challenge was accepted. So he poled the boat to an island on the lake. The younger Samurai quickly jumped out, thinking that he would take the advantage by positioning himself first. The other Samurai quickly and stongly poled himself away from the island into the deep water. He yelled back at the other Samurai, NO FIGHT WIN STYLE!!

I don't tell this story as well as Sensei Kushida does. I guess you could just pick my words apart if you wanted to in a sarcastic cynical manner. I hope that I have been able to convey some small insight in my very inadequate way.

I can recomend a book by Gozo Shioda, the name of the book is Dynamic Aikido.

In the past I have also heard Sensei Kushida say that "in the old days we used to do this, but we don't do it now". When I say this I am referring to what I call the extra step. Something the Braverrouge says that he has heard his Sensie say. I smile too myself when I hear this.

Edited by philliphn

Aikido will no doubt improve your physical conditioning.

The closest I ever came to actually flying myself was practicing Aikido.

No Fight Style. Or did he mean Know Fight Style? Perhaps I am trying to be witty or to clever by saying this.

Edited by philliphn

The root of Aikido came from Aikijutsu, however after many years of training O'sense (The founder of Aikido) realized that thrue martial arts was not to defeat each others. This was the turning point for Aikido to become what it is today.

Aikido is the realization of Love.

If you think that ``martial art'' means to have opponents and enemies and to be strong and defeat them, you are mistaken. The true spirit of the martial arts is to be one with the universe and have no enemies. The essence of the martial arts is the spirit of loving protection of all beings in the universe.

Morihei Ueshiba

As for Seagall, I can't recall the name of his master but know that the master bacame his later father in law.

Now Grass Hopper I will tell you a story: (sorry I could not help using this old clisshae(spelling ?))

This is a story told to me by Sensie Takashi Kushida. Sensei Kushida is unquestionably one of the best Aikido Senseis in the world. He is Japanese and teaches all races in Aikido Yoshokai, Genbu Sotojitsu, Aikido sword, Jo, and Boken.

A long time ago their was a famous Samurai Martial Arts Master. He was well known by his reputation as warrior, and Samurai. He would travel all over Japan. One day while traveling in a small boat on a lake. He was confronted by a young Samurai. This young man wanted to make himself a reputation by fighting, defeating, and perhaps even killing the other Samurai. He asked the other Samurai what is your style of fighting? He said No Fighting Win Style! Emboldened the other Samurai challenged him to a fight. This challenge was accepted. So he poled the boat to an island on the lake. The younger Samurai quickly jumped out, thinking that he would take the advantage by positioning himself first. The other Samurai quickly and stongly poled himself away from the island into the deep water. He yelled back at the other Samurai, NO FIGHT WIN STYLE!!

I don't tell this story as well as Sensei Kushida does. I guess you could just pick my words apart if you wanted to in a sarcastic cynical manner. I hope that I have been able to convey some small insight in my very inadequate way.

I can recomend a book by Gozo Shioda, the name of the book is Dynamic Aikido.

In the past I have also heard Sensei Kushida say that "in the old days we used to do this, but we don't do it now". When I say this I am referring to what I call the extra step. Something the Braverrouge says that he has heard his Sensie say. I smile too myself when I hear this.

Thanks for the nice story.

Yes, Dynamic Aikido is a good book. I happen to have this book as well.

A GREAT book on Aikido is Angry White Pajamas by Robert Twigger. It won an award for being the best book about sports in 25 years!

A very weird title for a book that is related to Aikido but I will give it a shoot and try to get some reviews on this book.

Tks

It is a true story about an English expat who takes an one year, very intense Aikido course in Japan - the one taught at Yoshinkan Hombu and taught in conjunction with the Tokyo Riot Police Course.

Google "Angry White Pajamas".

The best book that I have read for a long time! :o

It would feel a lot better to walk away KNOWING that you could kick the provoker's ass, than because you are chicken. :o

That is precisely the point I was trying to make........you walk away to prevent injury both to yourself and another person. "Chicken" has nothing to do with it. Fighting is a last resort.......it is out of necessity only. An undisciplined mind fights at the drop of a hat.......and sometimes dies that way, needlessly, or kills another person, needlessly.

It is a true story about an English expat who takes an one year, very intense Aikido course in Japan - the one taught at Yoshinkan Hombu and taught in conjunction with the Tokyo Riot Police Course.

Google "Angry White Pajamas".

The best book that I have read for a long time! :D

To the Aikido-is-no-martial-art-faction: Ever thought why the Japanese riot police practices Aikido instead of all the other martial arts available? Bingo! It can be very efficient if you want to. There are a lot of arm/leg/spine/neck breaking techinques available, along with efficient locks and arresting techniques. In Karate or Teakwondo you deliver kicks and punches that will unevitably hurt the opponent whereas Aikido leaves you much more room for the right dosage.

The trick in Aikido is, however, that you get trained not to use them, but being aware of their existance an potential dangers. In additon, the "move out of the way" principle protects you without even actively countering an attack because you are not there where it strikes.

After training Aikido for about three years I would rate my own fighting abilities as "lesser chance getting hurt myself" than "a bigger chance to defeat the enemy". And this is after all more important to me.

It would feel a lot better to walk away KNOWING that you could kick the provoker's ass, than because you are chicken. :o

That is precisely the point I was trying to make........you walk away to prevent injury both to yourself and another person. "Chicken" has nothing to do with it. Fighting is a last resort.......it is out of necessity only. An undisciplined mind fights at the drop of a hat.......and sometimes dies that way, needlessly, or kills another person, needlessly.

I do know one Farang second (?) Dan sensei who used to be a street fighter in his past. Since he picked up Aikido he has not been engaged in any fights anymore, but learned "how to walk away" from a potential fight. Then again, I don't want to be the guy who tries to nick his wallet in a dark corner...it could be painful :D

I have been training at the dojo together with braverrouge and Hattori sensei. Time issues and some (Aikido unrelated) back problems prevent me at the moment from training, but I hope to be back on the mat as soon as possible. It is a great sport, the group in Pattaya is good fun and that's what it is all about in the end! :D

I know the rheteric, but most martial artists that I've met are quite willing to fight with someone who is abuses them mentally or physically, if they think that they can win. Backing down because of your training, is mostly just in the movies. :D