Motorcycle Repairs

cdnvic

I went through about 10 or so mechanics until I found one that had any clue what to do and didn't need me instructing him as he went. Some of them were terribly nice and I'm sure really wanted to do a good job, but just didn't have a clue.

I suppose I could go to the bigger dealerships but would rather support a local kid if he knows his stuff. Is there any sort of certification sign/sticker I should be looking for to prove that the guy has half a clue what he's doing?

cv

The only cerificates you'll see are in the big dealerships where the "mechanics" have attended factory training seminars. The locals learn by hands on and from friends. There are some secondary schools that teach the basics in most of the trades. If you have a big bike stay away from the small locals as they won't admit they don't know how to do something and try to learn at your expense.

My experience in Khon Kaen was the dealership had a sign saying their mechanics had attended factory training courses. This didn’t help. The bike I needed repairing was a VFR400 and the dealership only had training up to 250cc.

They directed me to a guy working out of a small private shop who had returned from Phuket where he had dealt with big bikes. He tried his best but couldn’t repair the fault.

NL

Do what most farangs with big bikes upcountry do, and bring it down to BKK, go to Siam Superbike or similar, at least there you can speak to someone in English, he knows bikes, loves bikes, and his mechanics really try to learn the methods, the head mechanic is good and gets better all the time.

Do what most farangs with big bikes upcountry do

Drive around in flipflops? No Thanks :o

Seriously, thanks everyone but after reading and experiencing I think I'll just invest in some tools. I'm not 100% qualified or anything but by the looks of it nobody else is either and at least I will know when its not safe.

cv