The Best "front Man" For A Band, In The Last 20 Years.

Yaaklenmai

well, freddie mercury was still alive 20 years ago.

I thought about him before I posted - For me he was the only competitor!

IMHO JC is better, because he has never relied on costumes - only talent.

Jascha Richter of Micheal Learns to Rock.

Saw them in Bangkok in the mid 90's and he was the absolute business.

Sorry mate.

Have never seen him (or heard of him) :o

Do you have any video footage that you can post?

In Udon Thani there is a band called "G Spot" and the lead singer is the closest to JC that I have ever seen.

He is amazing!

:D

Robbie Williams , like him or hate him, the guy can hold an audience...check out his Knebworth concert.

Axl Rose....up until the mid 90's (before he got fat and had hair plugs put in)

Would Robert Plant (Zeppelin) count (well he's still alive)

Not a front "man", but, Tina Turner.

Obviously, very subjective but:-

Brandon Flowers - The Killers (best band for ages)

Robbie Williams - as above, I am no great fan but he is a great frontman.

Freddie Mercury - the consumate entertainer (as was Elton John, but not actually a frontman)

Robbie Williams , like him or hate him, the guy can hold an audience...check out his Knebworth concert.

Hey kiakaha, your Robert Plant suggestion gives you 200 points on the sympathy scale.

And I thought you just can read Thai newspapers only... :o

Hey kiakaha, your Robert Plant suggestion gives you 200 points on the sympathy scale.

And I thought you just can read Thai newspapers only... :o

My headstone will read.."He loved getting the Led out" :D

well, freddie mercury was still alive 20 years ago.

I thought about him before I posted - For me he was the only competitor!

IMHO JC is better, because he has never relied on costumes - only talent.

Jascha Richter of Micheal Learns to Rock.

Saw them in Bangkok in the mid 90's and he was the absolute business.

Sorry mate.

Have never seen him (or heard of him) :o

Do you have any video footage that you can post?

In Udon Thani there is a band called "G Spot" and the lead singer is the closest to JC that I have ever seen.

He is amazing!

:D

Put MLTR into Google or Youtube

You will have "heard" them without realising if you have spent any time in LOS in the last 20 years !!

In The Last 30 Years.

For me Rod Stewart, Freddie Mercury RIP, Mick Jagger and all the udder ones that I frogotten, but the one that will never ever be forgotten and still today plays live with his "Black Magic Women"

Ladies and Gentelmen may I present to you the one and only

Carlos Augusto Santana Alves

post-3770-1237294913_thumb.jpg

Born June 23, 1947, in Autlán de Navarro, Mexico. His father, Jose, was an accomplished professional violinist, and Carlos learned to play the guitar at age 8. In 1955, the family moved from Autlán de Navarro to Tijuana, the border city between Mexico and California. As a teenager, Santana began performing in Tijuana, inspired by the American rock & roll and blues music of artists like B. B. King, Ray Charles, and Little Richard. In the early 1960s, Santana moved again with his family, this time to San Francisco's Mission District, where his father hoped to find work.

In San Francisco, the young guitarist got the chance to see his idols, most notably King, perform live. He was also introduced to a variety of new musical influences, including jazz and international folk music, and witnessed the growing hippie movement centered in San Francisco in the 1960s. After several years spent working as a dishwasher in a diner and playing for spare change on the streets, Santana decided to become a full-time musician; in 1966, he formed the Santana Blues Band, with fellow street musicians David Brown and Gregg Rolie (bassist and keyboard player, respectively).

With their highly original blend of Latin-infused rock, jazz, blues, salsa, and African rhythms, the band (which quickly became known simply as Santana) gained an immediate following on the San Francisco club scene. The band's early success, capped off by a memorable performance at Woodstock in 1969, led to a recording contract with Columbia Records, then run by Clive Davis. Their first album, Santana (1969), spurred by a Top 10 single, "Evil Ways," went triple platinum, selling over four million copies and remaining on the Billboard chart for over two years. Abraxas, released in 1970, went platinum, scoring two more hit singles, "Oye Como Va" and "Black Magic Woman." The band's next two albums, Santana III (1971) and Caravanserai (1972), were also critical and popular successes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just remembered another from that same era :wai:

post-3770-1237297289_thumb.jpg

Neil Percival Young (born November 12, 1945) is a Canadian singer-songwriter, musician and film director.

Young's work is characterized by deeply personal lyrics, distinctive guitar work, and signature falsetto tenor singing voice.

Although he accompanies himself on several different instruments—including piano and harmonica—his claw-hammer acoustic guitar style :D and often idiosyncratic electric guitar soloing are the linchpins of a sometimes ragged, sometimes polished sound.

Although Young has experimented widely with differing music styles, including swing, jazz, rockabilly, blues, and electronic music throughout a varied career, his best known work usually falls into either of two distinct styles: folk-esque acoustic rock ("Heart of Gold", "Harvest Moon" :D and "Old Man") and electric-charged hard rock (like "Cinnamon Girl", "Rockin' in the Free World" and "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)"). In recent years, Young has adopted elements from newer styles like industrial, alternative country and grunge. Young's profound influence on the latter caused some to dub him "the godfather of grunge".

Solo success & CSNY

After the breakup of Buffalo Springfield, Young signed a solo deal with Reprise Records, home of his colleague and friend Joni Mitchell, with whom he shared a manager, Elliot Roberts, who manages Young to this day. Young and Nitzsche immediately began work on Young's first solo record, Neil Young (November 1968), which received mixed reviews. In a 1970 interview, Young deprecated the album as being "overdubbed rather than played," and the quest for music that expresses the spontaneity of the moment has long been a feature of his career. Nevertheless, the album contains some tunes that remain a staple of his live shows, most notably "The Loner."

For his next album, Young recruited three musicians from a band called The Rockets: Danny Whitten on guitar, Billy Talbot on bass guitar, and Ralph Molina on drums. These three took the name Crazy Horse (after the historical figure of the same name), and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (May 1969), is credited to "Neil Young with Crazy Horse." Recorded in just two weeks, the album opens with one of Young's most familiar songs, "Cinnamon Girl," and is dominated by two more, "Cowgirl in the Sand" and "Down by the River," that feature lengthy jams showcasing Young's idiosyncratic guitar soloing accompanied sympathetically by Crazy Horse. Young reportedly wrote all three songs on the same day, while nursing a high fever of 103 °F (39.5 °C) in bed.

Not forgetting "Southern Man" the long version 14 odd minutes.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. and Bob Dylan same as Neil Young Kannot play the guitar :D like our Carlos :o

P.S. and Bob Dylan same as Neil Young Kannot play the guitar :D like our Carlos :o or Hendrix

From Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert :D

Only had 1,192,990 views

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_tJnj2j5kI

and 'Text Comments: 1,896 ' one was "I love Neil Young and his music. This cover may have be his greatest guitar playing ever. " :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win