Statistics & Safer Biking In Thailand.

Lickey

Mrs has just gone to her nephews funeral, 100 ks away, bike accident, 15yo, no helmet ect,

Anyway, came across these sites just now, www.safedriver.co.th that site should be in Thai for your loved ones to read and this [same site ] is in english http://thaisafedriver.com/default.aspx the death rate is horrendous here for bikers,

Thanks all, Lickey,,

Mrs has just gone to her nephews funeral, 100 ks away, bike accident, 15yo, no helmet ect,

Anyway, came across these sites just now, www.safedriver.co.th that site should be in Thai for your loved ones to read and this [same site ] is in english http://thaisafedriver.com/default.aspx the death rate is horrendous here for bikers,

Thanks all, Lickey,,

Thanks for the link Lickey...

The more info available - the better the chances of the safety awareness to "set in" with the younger generations...

Chris

'safety awareness to "set in" with the younger generations...;

I don't see this happening when the Thai governments don't really see it as priority. I know a family where the auntie had a very serious accident was in hospital weeks and had part of her skull removed (she had a flat part on the side until reconstrutive surgery) and still some members of the family will ride without helmets. when i asked why "to hot" was the answer. And these are not dumb people (well ok they are in this aspect of their lives, but not usually)

Every time i am there and either my friend or her 13 year old daughter go out on the bike, I have to remind them to put the helmet on. I tell them i do this because i like their heads the shape they are now, NOT flat.

More training and awareness need to happen at a grass roots level. Take this stupid alcohol ban at Songkran.... educate, educate and educate about it don't bloody ban it.

Also thanks Lickey i will introduce that website info into my school lessons.

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

'safety awareness to "set in" with the younger generations...;

I don't see this happening when the Thai governments don't really see it as priority. I know a family where the auntie had a very serious accident was in hospital weeks and had part of her skull removed (she had a flat part on the side until reconstrutive surgery) and still some members of the family will ride without helmets. when i asked why "to hot" was the answer. And these are not dumb people (well ok they are in this aspect of their lives, but not usually)

Every time i am there and either my friend or her 13 year old daughter go out on the bike, I have to remind them to put the helmet on. I tell them i do this because i like their heads the shape they are now, NOT flat.

More training and awareness need to happen at a grass roots level. Take this stupid alcohol ban at Songkran.... educate, educate and educate about it don't bloody ban it.

Also thanks Lickey i will introduce that website info into my school lessons.

Allan

I have a neighbor from Switzerland who drives helmet less every chance he gets. If he thinks he won't get stopped by the police he won't wear his helmet even after I constantly remind him. That said......many Thais here in Pattaya do not wear helmets. They don't stop for red lights and they drive on the wrong side of the road. THey have no concept of spacial awareness and their road manners are terrible. I don't think our female Thai manager will drive like that and I doubt if our male Thai maintenance guy does or our engineer at this condo either. In fact my last gf insisted I get her a good full coverage helmet and I don't think she had more than a sixth grade education. I just think a lot of Thais here in Pattaya have brain dead itis. But a sizeable percentage of them don't. I think it's because the police does not enforce the rules of the road here. If they did and leveled stiff fines and other punishments on offenders I believe medical science will find that the brain dead itis will have gone by the way side for the most part just like leprosy has in developed countries. Because of politicians and a police force that is not doing its job I've noticed that Brain dead itis has been spreading very rapidly among Westerners here as well.

Edited by jackcorbett

The Thais could make a huge difference if the schools did something about this.

And one easy thing would be to have the police who stop traffic outside the school gates to allow the procession of helmet-less riders, to simply not allow a single bike to exit the school without helmets on the riders.

In the end maybe Darwinian selection will prevail, and only those prepared to wear helmets and protect themselves will survive. Unfortunately might take a few generations and by then we may have run out of oil.

And for the Farang, really I couldn't care less, they should know better, and if they want to kill themselves, so what? Won't cost me or you anything, unlike in Farangland where it bumps up the insurance premiums. Let them ride without protection and let them die without protection. Simple.

sad story.

reminds me of another post related to a similar topic:

IMO, the question is not how old you are when you are riding a bike, at what speed you travel, or if motorbikes in general are more dangerous than other means of transportation.

The underlying problem in Thailand is the complete lack of road safety education.

I took the theoretical and practical test for a driving license in Thailand. In the theory test, there was not a single question on braking distance or safety distance. And the practical test is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my life; about 30 m of riding are required. As long as you are not completely drunk and will fall off the bike, for sure you'll pass the test.

Thus, possession of a completely legitimate driving license does not necessarily mean the owner can drive.

I even talked to some Thai friends who are well educated and usually quite fast on the road with their cars. They are completely unaware of physics, and they have never heard of any formula that gives you the braking distance in dependence of the speed!

So, the whole thing is not just about irresponsible parents. Education about road safety (and the physics involved) should be implemented in the schools, and PR is required to increase safety awareness. Who has ever seen "Der 7. Sinn" on German TV knows what I am talking about.

Have a safe ride!

The Thais could make a huge difference if the schools did something about this.

And one easy thing would be to have the police who stop traffic outside the school gates to allow the procession of helmet-less riders, to simply not allow a single bike to exit the school without helmets on the riders.

In the end maybe Darwinian selection will prevail, and only those prepared to wear helmets and protect themselves will survive. Unfortunately might take a few generations and by then we may have run out of oil.

And for the Farang, really I couldn't care less, they should know better, and if they want to kill themselves, so what? Won't cost me or you anything, unlike in Farangland where it bumps up the insurance premiums. Let them ride without protection and let them die without protection. Simple.

Not just with the schools - but that is a good start of course. When I was in Samui the policy at the resort was if you were seen coming to work with out a helmet - on a motorbike - the Service Charge was clipped a bit. Worked out well in the end as a few other properties has staff with serious inrjuries from accidents and the concept "sunk in" for the safety factor. In addition - we (management) held a small seminar explaining weather conditions, breaking distance, being aware of the other drivers (which actually is incredibly unpredictable)..etc....

CC