100 Sentences I Would Like To Know In Thai

mrmike

hi

I have now been in Thailand for 2 months and intend to stay.....but for sure needs to learn thai.

So I have put together a list of 100 sentences in english (im a Swede so the english will not be prefect but you should get most of it)....could you help me and put the sentences in phonetic thai?? Would be great....and I would after that drill, drill and drill and use them on thai and they could correct my pronunchiation...could work

Are you ready?...ok, here goes:

1. How do you know that?

2. Are you sure?

3. What intentions do you have with me?

4. What do you want to do?

5. How is that possible?

6. Do you just like me or is it true love?

7. Where do you live?

8. Where are you born?

9. Is that where your parents live?

10. I like Thailand. I may stay here.

11. I like the thai female/woman.

12. Im happy with you.

13. When is your free time?

14. What would you like to do with your life?

15. What dreams do you have?

16. Can you speak english?

17. Would you like to meet me again?

18. This is funny!

19. Do you like it?

20. Do you like your work?

21. How old are you?

22. Do you know where that place is?

23. Whats the best place in town?

24. Would you like to have dinner with me?

25. I find you very attractive

26. What do you look for the most: money or love?

27. What would you like to do?

28. You look good

29. I only talk little thai

30. When can we meet?

31. Can you come home to me?

32. Maybe I will stay here

33. I don’t know. I know

34. The dogs are barking too much in Thailand

35. One must train the dogs to bark only at intruders

36. Do you have a boyfriend/lover?

37. Are you interested only in the money?

38. Do you send money home to mam and dad?

39. How much (do you send)?

40. Whats your name?

41. Is there any party around?

42. What music do you like?

43. Who is your favorite artist?

44. What movies do you like?

45. Do you like to dance?

46. Do you have children?

47. Do you like living in Thailand?

48. Would you like to build a family?

49. Can wee meet next week?

50. Can you swim?

51. Would you like go swimming with me?

52. Im hungry. Can we go and eat something?

53. Where can we meet?

54. I like going around with my motorbike

55. Can you take down the price some more please

56. How are you doing?

57. Can I kiss you?

58. How can we get rid of all those ###### mosquitos?!

59. Whats the name of that bird?

60. Do you like children?

61. It is too warm today

62. Last night the dogs and birds woke me up.

63. They usually do.

64. There is a lot of noice in thailand

65. I like your style

66. Can you teach me thai?

67. You are good at that

68. You do just fine

69. I think you are great

70. That is a very good looking woman

71. She is to young for me.

72. She is to old for me.

73. You are beautiful

74. That is funny!

75. You guys play good (music)

76. Very well done!

77. That is perfect

78. I don’t know what to do with you

79. Maybe I will do that

80. Lets see what happens

81. Are you out of your mind?!

82. Do you know any house/appartment for rent?

83. Does it have its own telephone line?

84. Will adsl work here/there?

85. Where do I find…..?

86. Where is the toilett?

87. If you don’t mind

88. Is that ok with you?

89. Whats in you mind……what are you thinking of?

90. I have 3 children

91. I am divorced and single

92. I need some action

93. What business do you do? Is it good?

94. Do you go in school?

95. Where can I buy some tequila?

96. My children will visit me this summer

97. Coolt., How did you do/learn that?

98. Can you do that for me?

99. What is your plan? How will you handle that?

100. Can you fix this?

well.....there is the list...I think many would enjoy those sentences in the thai phonetic (am not sure I say it right here....but you for sure understand I dont want the sentences in the thai language :o

ok.....jai jen jen.......wadi cap :D

OK Mike, I'll do number 1 for you and then pass the buck

"how do you know that?''------Khun roo dai yang rai wa pom pben khon khee giart lae kee niaow prowar mai yom sir nangsir.

I admit it looks rather long but I can see by your extensive list, you even have 39 questions before you ask the girl her name, that you have a deep and passionate love for Thailand.

OK Mike, I'll do number 1 for you and then pass the buck

"how do you know that?''------Khun roo dai yang rai wa pom pben khon khee giart lae kee niaow prowar mai yom sir nangsir.

I admit it looks rather long but I can see by your extensive list, you even have 39 questions before you ask the girl her name, that you have a deep and passionate love for Thailand.

right :D

now, can anyone do it the simple way.......just do it!

:o

Sorry, will do part of this in Swedish.

Hej Micke.

Det kommer inte att funka helt bra eftersom "fonetisk" thai som inte är baserad på internationella fonetiska alfabetet är väldigt oexakt. Hur jag eller någon annan väljer att skriva den fonetiska thailändskan, och hur du väljer (medvetet eller omedvetet) att uttyda den innebär en extremt stor risk för uttalsfel. Hade det handlat om ett europeiskt språk hade det varit en annan sak. Visar du det för en thailändare som kan läsa latinska bokstäver är det inte alls säkert att de förstår vad det ska betyda på thai heller - speciellt om den fonetiska thaien inte är baserad på engelskans hopplöst oregelbundna stavningssystem.

Du vet säkert redan att varje stavelses ton är avgörande för vad ett thailändskt ord betyder - detta kallas för "fonematiska" toner. Tonens kontur över stavelsen har alltså samma inverkan på betydelsen för ett thailändskt ord som vilket konsonantljud ett svenskt ord börjar på.

Svenskans grava och akuta accent är ett liknande fenomen men det gäller bara för tvåstaviga ord och endast i vissa fall. Exempel: anden (fågeln) och anden (själen), tomten (marken) och tomten (gubben med skägg och luva).

Dessutom är stavelsens (=vokalljudets) längd i thai också betydelseskiljande. Om man inte anger detta i den fonetiska thaien så blir risken för missförstånd ännu större.

Skillnaden mellan

mai [Hög ton, kort stavelse] (=avslutande partikel i ja/nej-frågor),

mai [Låg ton / kort stavelse] (=ny),

mai [Hög ton, lång stavelse] (trä),

mai [Fallande ton, kort stavelse] (=inte)

osv, är lika viktig som skillnaden mellan det första ljudet i orden "mil", "pil", "sil", "bil" och "kil" på svenska.

För att kunna göra dig förstådd på allvar utan en massa omsägningar måste du förr eller senare (helst förr eftersom du annars kan cementera felaktiga uttalsvanor som blir svåra att arbeta bort!) lära dig att uttala skillnaden mellan de fem tonerna (och ha extremt gott tålamod, var beredd på att bli utskrattad - oftast är det välment dock). Det bara är så.

Jag rekommenderar att du letar rätt på en kurs som heter "Teach Yourself Thai" av David Smythe om du är seriös med att vilja lära dig thai. Det är kassettbandet till den kursen som är så bra, eftersom det är väldigt väl strukturerat och ljudet är mycket tydligt.

Here are the first 20 sentences.

General advice: End sentences to people you do not know *well* with a khap/khrap (the 'r' sound makes it sound more formal and educated than "khap" (check out the Thai news on TV or radio).

1. How do you know that?

2. Are you sure?

5. How is that possible?

7. Where do you live?

8. Where are you born?

12. Im happy with you.

18. This is funny!

19. Do you like it?

eu is a sound that does not exist in English or Swedish, but if you spread your lips out as far as you can in a smile and try to say "so" in Swedish you will get a word that sounds close the word "buy" (seu) in Thai.

ae is like standard swedish "ä" (not like Stockholm "ä = e")

oe is close to standard swedish "ö"

dj is almost like in English "Jungle".

th like in Thai, not like in "thing". There is no lisp-sound in Thai (except for with Thai speakers who cannot pronounce "s").

k is close to "g" in English "get" but harder.

kh is close to "k" in Swedish "katt" but the little puff of air after the "k" sound is stronger in Thai.

ng is like in "long", but in Thai it occurs as the initial sound of a word, for example 'ngaan' (= work; party). To be able to pronounce the "ng" sound in the beginning of a word, say "hang on" several times, then try to pause after "ha-" and then say "-ngon".

1. formal: khun ruu daai yaang-rai khrap / informal: luu dai -angai (khap)

2. khun nae-djai reu khrap / nae-jai loe (khap)

3. khun wang/dtong-gaan arai djaak phom reu khrap

4. khun yaak tham arai khrap

5. bpen bpai daai yaang-rai khrap / bpen bpai daai -ngai

6. rak pom djing mai (khrap) reu waa *chawp* yaang diaow

7. baan khun yuu thii nai khrap (=where is your home) / khun pak yuu thii nai (where do you stay (=short term i.e. while you are here, question asked to tourists or people visiting). khun bpen khon djangwat arai (=what province do you come from) (very common question among Thais from different parts of the country; replace "djangwat" with "chaad" and you will have the question what country are you from.

8. Khun koet thii nai khrap

9. Phaw mae khun yuu thii nan duay mai khrap (Do your parents also live there?)

10. Pom chawp pratheed thai khrap. Aad-dja yaay maa yuu thii nii gaw daai (I may move here).

11. Pom chawp puu ying thai khrap

12. Dtawn yuu kab khun pom mii khwaam suk

13. Waang meuarai khrap

14. Khun yaak tham arai nai chiiwit khun khrap

15. Khun mii fan arai baang samrab anaakhot

16. Khun phuut phasaa angkrit daai mai khrap

17. Khun yaak pop kab pom iik mai khrap

18. Nii sanuk jang

19. Chawp mai

20. Khun chawp ngaan thii tham yuu mai khrap

* 3. This is not a question a Thai would ask in normal conversation, so it is difficult to translate into an easy sentence unless I simplify the message (thus missing some of the connotations of the original question). If I make a longer and more complicated sentence the Thai you ask is pretty certain to not understand. My version here back-translates as "What do you hope from me" "What do you need from me" - neither are that good. Maybe somebody else can help you out better with this one.

*6. The vowel sound in the word ชอบ is difficult to transliterate without using a special phonetic symbol. It is quite close to "aa" (ja) in Stockholm Swedish or "aw" in American English "law", but NOT like "aa" in Southern Swedish dialects.

Hope it helps!

Edited by meadish_sweetball

how are you going to understand the answers you will get to these questions ?

learning questions by rote wont help you very much.

well, learning the questions will give some words and understanding just by itself....than I cope with the answers....and then I learn some more.....

now...is there anyone out there that actually can write a few of those question (if not all of them)........wouldn´t that be nice for many of us farangs??

Sorry, will do part of this in Swedish.

Hej Micke.

Det kommer inte att funka helt bra eftersom "fonetisk" thai som inte är baserad på internationella fonetiska alfabetet är väldigt oexakt. Hur jag eller någon annan väljer att skriva den fonetiska thailändskan, och hur du väljer (medvetet eller omedvetet) att uttyda den innebär en extremt stor risk för uttalsfel. Hade det handlat om ett europeiskt språk hade det varit en annan sak. Visar du det för en thailändare som kan läsa latinska bokstäver är det inte alls säkert att de förstår vad det ska betyda på thai heller - speciellt om den fonetiska thaien inte är baserad på engelskans hopplöst oregelbundna stavningssystem.

Du vet säkert redan att varje stavelses ton är avgörande för vad ett thailändskt ord betyder - detta kallas för "fonematiska" toner. Tonens kontur över stavelsen har alltså samma inverkan på betydelsen för ett thailändskt ord som vilket konsonantljud ett svenskt ord börjar på.

Svenskans grava och akuta accent är ett liknande fenomen men det gäller bara för tvåstaviga ord och endast i vissa fall. Exempel: anden (fågeln) och anden (själen), tomten (marken) och tomten (gubben med skägg och luva).

Dessutom är stavelsens (=vokalljudets) längd i thai också betydelseskiljande. Om man inte anger detta i den fonetiska thaien så blir risken för missförstånd ännu större.

Skillnaden mellan

mai [Hög ton, kort stavelse] (=avslutande partikel i ja/nej-frågor),

mai [Låg ton / kort stavelse] (=ny),

mai [Hög ton, lång stavelse] (trä),

mai [Fallande ton, kort stavelse] (=inte)

osv, är lika viktig som skillnaden mellan det första ljudet i orden "mil", "pil", "sil", "bil" och "kil" på svenska.

För att kunna göra dig förstådd på allvar utan en massa omsägningar måste du förr eller senare (helst förr eftersom du annars kan cementera felaktiga uttalsvanor som blir svåra att arbeta bort!) lära dig att uttala skillnaden mellan de fem tonerna (och ha extremt gott tålamod, var beredd på att bli utskrattad - oftast är det välment dock). Det bara är så.

Jag rekommenderar att du letar rätt på en kurs som heter "Teach Yourself Thai" av David Smythe om du är seriös med att vilja lära dig thai. Det är kassettbandet till den kursen som är så bra, eftersom det är väldigt väl strukturerat och ljudet är mycket tydligt.

Here are the first 20 sentences.

General advice: End sentences to people you do not know *well* with a khap/khrap (the 'r' sound makes it sound more formal and educated than "khap" (check out the Thai news on TV or radio).

1. How do you know that?

2. Are you sure?

5. How is that possible?

7. Where do you live?

8. Where are you born?

12. Im happy with you.

18. This is funny!

19. Do you like it?

eu is a sound that does not exist in English or Swedish, but if you spread your lips out as far as you can in a smile and try to say "so" in Swedish you will get a word that sounds close the word "buy" (seu) in Thai.

ae is like standard swedish "ä" (not like Stockholm "ä = e")

oe is close to standard swedish "ö"

dj is almost like in English "Jungle".

th like in Thai, not like in "thing". There is no lisp-sound in Thai (except for with Thai speakers who cannot pronounce "s").

k is close to "g" in English "get" but harder.

kh is close to "k" in Swedish "katt" but the little puff of air after the "k" sound is stronger in Thai.

ng is like in "long", but in Thai it occurs as the initial sound of a word, for example 'ngaan' (= work; party). To be able to pronounce the "ng" sound in the beginning of a word, say "hang on" several times, then try to pause after "ha-" and then say "-ngon".

1. formal: khun ruu daai yaang-rai khrap / informal: luu dai -angai (khap)

2. khun nae-djai reu khrap / nae-jai loe (khap)

3. khun wang/dtong-gaan arai djaak phom reu khrap

4. khun yaak tham arai khrap

5. bpen bpai daai yaang-rai khrap / bpen bpai daai -ngai

6. rak pom djing mai (khrap) reu waa *chawp* yaang diaow

7. baan khun yuu thii nai khrap (=where is your home) / khun pak yuu thii nai (where do you stay (=short term i.e. while you are here, question asked to tourists or people visiting). khun bpen khon djangwat arai (=what province do you come from) (very common question among Thais from different parts of the country; replace "djangwat" with "chaad" and you will have the question what country are you from.

8. Khun koet thii nai khrap

9. Phaw mae khun yuu thii nan duay mai khrap (Do your parents also live there?)

10. Pom chawp pratheed thai khrap. Aad-dja yaay maa yuu thii nii gaw daai (I may move here).

11. Pom chawp puu ying thai khrap

12. Dtawn yuu kab khun pom mii khwaam suk

13. Waang meuarai khrap

14. Khun yaak tham arai nai chiiwit khun khrap

15. Khun mii fan arai baang samrab anaakhot

16. Khun phuut phasaa angkrit daai mai khrap

17. Khun yaak pop kab pom iik mai khrap

18. Nii sanuk jang

19. Chawp mai

20. Khun chawp ngaan thii tham yuu mai khrap

* 3. This is not a question a Thai would ask in normal conversation, so it is difficult to translate into an easy sentence unless I simplify the message (thus missing some of the connotations of the original question). If I make a longer and more complicated sentence the Thai you ask is pretty certain to not understand. My version here back-translates as "What do you hope from me" "What do you need from me" - neither are that good. Maybe somebody else can help you out better with this one.

*6. The vowel sound in the word ชอบ is difficult to transliterate without using a special phonetic symbol. It is quite close to "aa" (ja) in Stockholm Swedish or "aw" in American English "law", but NOT like "aa" in Southern Swedish dialects.

Hope it helps!

thanks very much my friend!....its a very good start.....how knows...maybe the whole list of the 100 sentences will crystilize during the evening :o

lets see if I can get it going...

1. How do you know that?

kun saap noon yang-rai?

:o  :D  :D

Well Wolfie, sorry if I irritated somebody, but I am trying to explain abstract concepts to a fellow countryman and I do it a lot better in my own language than in English.

The relevant part of the message (the translation of the sentences) is still in English.

Mike, your translation doesnt quite hack it.

"khun saap" is ok even though "saap" is bordering on too formal language. The normal word for know is "ruu" (everyday speech "luu" because most "r" sounds become "l" in everyday Thai).

"noon" means "[that thing/person] over there" and can not be used in this context.

nii - this (close)

nan - that (a bit further away or neutral)

noon - that (over there - quite far away)

instead, the by far most normal way to phrase this is just "luu dai yangai" or more formal "khun ruu dai yaang-rai". There is no need for the "that" word in Thai.

You were not too far off the mark though.

hi

I have now been in Thailand for 2 months and intend to stay.....but for sure needs to learn thai.

So I have put together a list of 100 sentences in english (im a Swede so the english will not be prefect but you should get most of it)....could you help me and put the sentences in phonetic thai?? Would be great....and I would after that drill, drill and drill and use them on thai and they could correct my pronunchiation...could work

Are you ready?...ok, here goes:

1. How do you know that?

2. Are you sure?

5. How is that possible?

7. Where do you live?

8. Where are you born?

12. Im happy with you.

18. This is funny!

19. Do you like it?

21. How old are you?

22. Do you know where that place is?

23. Whats the best place in town?

24. Would you like to have dinner with me?

25. I find you very attractive

26. What do you look for the most: money or love?

27. What would you like to do?

28. You look good

29. I only talk little thai

30. When can we meet?

31. Can you come home to me?

32. Maybe I will stay here

33. I don’t know. I know

34. The dogs are barking too much in Thailand

35. One must train the dogs to bark only at intruders

36. Do you have a boyfriend/lover?

37. Are you interested only in the money?

38. Do you send money home to mam and dad?

39. How much (do you send)?

40. Whats your name?

41. Is there any party around?

42. What music do you like?

43. Who is your favorite artist?

44. What movies do you like?

45. Do you like to dance?

46. Do you have children?

47. Do you like living in Thailand?

48. Would you like to build a family?

49. Can wee meet next week?

50. Can you swim?

51. Would you like go swimming with me?

52. Im hungry. Can we go and eat something?

53. Where can we meet?

54. I like going around with my motorbike

55. Can you take down the price some more please

56. How are you doing?

57. Can I kiss you?

58. How can we get rid of all those ###### mosquitos?!

59. Whats the name of that bird?

60. Do you like children?

61. It is too warm today

62. Last night the dogs and birds woke me up.

63. They usually do.

64. There is a lot of noice in thailand

65. I like your style

66. Can you teach me thai?

67. You are good at that

68. You do just fine

69. I think you are great

70. That is a very good looking woman

71. She is to young for me.

72. She is to old for me.

73. You are beautiful

74. That is funny!

75. You guys play good (music)

76. Very well done!

77. That is perfect

78. I don’t know what to do with you

79. Maybe I will do that

80. Lets see what happens

81. Are you out of your mind?!

82. Do you know any house/appartment for rent?

83. Does it have its own telephone line?

84. Will adsl work here/there?

85. Where do I find…..?

86. Where is the toilett?

87. If you don’t mind

88. Is that ok with you?

89. Whats in you mind……what are you thinking of?

90. I have 3 children

91. I am divorced and single

92. I need some action

93. What business do you do? Is it good?

94. Do you go in school?

95. Where can I buy some tequila?

96. My children will visit me this summer

97. Coolt., How did you do/learn that?

98. Can you do that for me?

99. What is your plan? How will you handle that?

100. Can you fix this?

well.....there is the list...I think many would enjoy those sentences in the thai phonetic (am not sure I say it right here....but you for sure understand I dont want the sentences in the thai language :o

Hey mrmike,

there is 1 good site to learn thai: www.learningthai.com :D

Enjoy.

meadish_sweetball

the word reu  seems to be imppossible for me......is it r...and the "so" with the smile?.......if so....very hard to say

the word  chawp.....sounds like ch (che ljud in swedish) ...chååp...right?

chååp .... I can see why you write it this way, but it is not really correct. The thing is Thais have a distinction between two different sounds that sound like "å" to a Swedish ear. The first two sounds in "chawp" are much closer to the two first sounds in standard Swedish "tjata" than in "tjåla".

"Reu" is not easy to say because the "eu" is a foreign sound to us. If you have a Thai person around, ask him or her to say the words "buy", "or", and "stubborn" in Thai. These all contain that sound. As for the word meaning "or" in Thai, it is often pronounced "löö" in everyday Thai anyway, so you dont necessarily have to practice that sound right now.

But some more instructions might be good, because you will need that sound if you are to speak Thai clearly:

When I say "so" I mean a sow (so = sugga), a female pig in Swedish, not the English word "so".

Another way is to take a pencil and put it far in between your lips so they spread to both sides. Then try to say "ooooooooo" with Swedish pronunciation. Try it a few times, notice the sound and then take out the pencil and try again. The point is, your tongue is in the same place inside your mouth as when you say "zoo", "kangaROO", and "booh", BUT you should not round your lips. The lips must be unrounded.

Edited by meadish_sweetball

meadish_sweetball

the word reu   seems to be imppossible for me......is it r...and the "so" with the smile?.......if so....very hard to say

chååp .... I can see why you write it this way, but it is not really correct. The thing is Thais have a distinction between two different sounds that sound like "å" to a Swedish ear. The first two sounds in "chawp" are much closer to the two first sounds in standard Swedish "tjata" than in "tjåla".

"Reu" is not easy to say because the "eu" is a foreign sound to us. If you have a Thai person around, ask him or her to say the words "buy", "or", and "stubborn" in Thai. These all contain that sound. As for the word meaning "or" in Thai, it is often pronounced "löö" in everyday Thai anyway, so you dont necessarily have to practice that sound right now.

But some more instructions might be good, because you will need that sound if you are to speak Thai clearly:

When I say "so" I mean a sow (so = sugga), a female pig in Swedish, not the English word "so".

Another way is to take a pencil and put it far in between your lips so they spread to both sides. Then try to say "ooooooooo" with Swedish pronunciation. Try it a few times, notice the sound and then take out the pencil and try again. The point is, your tongue is in the same place inside your mouth as when you say "zoo", "kangaROO", and "booh", BUT you should not round your lips. The lips must be unrounded.

sitting with Benjawan dictionary.....looking at the word buy...she gives it súu....also when I ask my maid to say it, it sounds chöö (almost....I had her say it many many times...but its an che-sound and then some ö or uu sounds....its with an rising tone)...anyway...atleast a little easier for me to underdstand

anyhow...trying to find the "reu" expression....can you give me the exact english word for it?

Edited by mrmike

29 'Phom pud thai dai nid-noi' (I can speak a little thai?)

39 'Toa Ry' (How much?)

40 'khun cheu arai'  (what is you name?) or add 'len' after 'cheu' (what is your nick name?)

Just a few for you.

thanks

now....guys out there...you know its ###### putting together ones own sentences...please help me (and others ) out by completing the 100 sentences list...ok? :o:D:D

btw: yesterday I ordered Courage Thai Interactive 2 computersoftware

Version 2 of the Thai Interactive was designed for the serious student of Thai. It offers 99 chapters, 2900 phrases, 11,000 vocabulary words, 26 quick reference categories, 15 reference tables, 36 exercises, 5 crossword puzzle generators, and 8 print activity engines. It has engines which read Thai at the syllable level, exercises which cater to both beginning and advanced students, and a system which monitors student progress. Operating System: Win XP, ME, 2000 Pro, Win 98, Win 95. Visit our web board for more information and comments.

who knows....I may end up speaking thai...even read and write it... certainly no problems with da girls after that...:o

Edited by mrmike

Version 2 of the Thai Interactive was designed for the serious student of Thai. It offers 99 chapters, 2900 phrases, 11,000 vocabulary words, 26 quick reference categories, 15 reference tables, 36 exercises, 5 crossword puzzle generators, and 8 print activity engines. It has engines which read Thai at the syllable level, exercises which cater to both beginning and advanced students, and a system which monitors student progress.  Operating System: Win XP, ME, 2000 Pro, Win 98, Win 95. Visit our web board for more information and comments.

who knows....I may end up speaking thai...even read and write it... certainly no problems with da girls after that...:o

Hmmm... sounds like a good supplement to my long-haired-dictionary at home :D

How much was it?

Version 2 of the Thai Interactive was designed for the serious student of Thai. It offers 99 chapters, 2900 phrases, 11,000 vocabulary words, 26 quick reference categories, 15 reference tables, 36 exercises, 5 crossword puzzle generators, and 8 print activity engines. It has engines which read Thai at the syllable level, exercises which cater to both beginning and advanced students, and a system which monitors student progress.  Operating System: Win XP, ME, 2000 Pro, Win 98, Win 95. Visit our web board for more information and comments.

Hmmm... sounds like a good supplement to my long-haired-dictionary at home :D

How much was it?

90$

http://www.thaihypermarket.com/books/index...html〈=en-us

meadish_sweetball

the word reu  seems to be imppossible for me......is it r...and the "so" with the smile?.......if so....very hard to say

sitting with Benjawan dictionary.....looking at the word buy...she gives it súu....also when I ask my maid to say it, it sounds chöö (almost....I had her say it many many times...but its an che-sound and then some ö or uu sounds....its with an rising tone)...anyway...atleast a little easier for me to underdstand

anyhow...trying to find the "reu" expression....can you give me the exact english word for it?

Yeah, the transcriptions are not to be trusted. What you need to concentrate on is how it actually sounds and not what is written in Latin letters anywhere. Since the sound does not exist in Swedish or English the best way to memorize the sound is by listening to it and learning the Thai sign for it.

The tone for the word "seu" is actually high and not rising; the rising tone you find in words such as "sawng", 2, and "saam" 3.

The high tone actually sounds like it is rising a little so your observation is not entirely wrong. But it is still called the "high" tone.

In a frequency graph, the tone curve for the high tone describes a slowly ascending slope that starts fairly high in your personal voice register and goes to a slightly higher point, whereas the curve for the rising tone starts in the middle of your natural voice register, dips down lower and then rises. The rising tone has a "surprised" sound to it, whereas the high one sounds a bit like a person is "complaining". These descriptions are my personal impressions though.

If your maid pronounces "seu" with a "ch" sound she probably has a slight speech impediment or does not speak Thai very clearly.

My guess is that she is from the Northeast close to Laos and is overcompensating when she speaks central Thai.

In the Northeast dialect, they dont have the "ch" sound, a fact which they are reminded of by central Thais who make fun of their pronunciation, "phuu saai" (man), "saang" (elephant) are "phuu chaai" and "chaang" in Central Thai.

Compare it to Swedes who have a problem with saying "visa" and "very well" in English - they come out as "wisa" and "wery well" for many speakers. Swedes learn the English "w" sound which does not exist in Swedish and then concentrate so hard on getting it right, that the words that should have an initial "v" sound also get the "w" sound. I hope you know what I mean.

It is definitely an "s" sound in "seu".

The exact word in English for "reu" is "or" ("eller" in Swedish). It is also used as a final particle in Thai questions. In other words, asking somebody how they are can be said both "sabaai dii mai (khrap)" and "sabaai dii reu (khrap)".

gin khanom reu waa kin khaaw

eat snacks or (clause introducer) eat rice

Are you having snacks or proper food (rice)?

gin khanom reu?

Are you eating snacks?

meadish_sweetball

the word reu   seems to be imppossible for me......is it r...and the "so" with the smile?.......if so....very hard to say

Yeah, the transcriptions are not to be trusted. What you need to concentrate on is how it actually sounds and not what is written in Latin letters anywhere. Since the sound does not exist in Swedish or English the best way to memorize the sound is by listening to it and learning the Thai sign for it.

The tone for the word "seu" is actually high and not rising; the rising tone you find in words such as "sawng", 2, and "saam" 3.

The high tone actually sounds like it is rising a little so your observation is not entirely wrong. But it is still called the "high" tone.

In a frequency graph, the tone curve for the high tone describes a slowly ascending slope that starts fairly high in your personal voice register and goes to a slightly higher point, whereas the curve for the rising tone starts in the middle of your natural voice register, dips down lower and then rises. The rising tone has a "surprised" sound to it, whereas the high one sounds a bit like a person is "complaining". These descriptions are my personal impressions though.

If your maid pronounces "seu" with a "ch" sound she probably has a slight speech impediment or does not speak Thai very clearly.

My guess is that she is from the Northeast close to Laos and is overcompensating when she speaks central Thai.

In the Northeast dialect, they dont have the "ch" sound, a fact which they are reminded of by central Thais who make fun of their pronunciation, "phuu saai" (man), "saang" (elephant) are "phuu chaai" and "chaang" in Central Thai.

Compare it to Swedes who have a problem with saying "visa" and "very well" in English - they come out as "wisa" and "wery well" for many speakers. Swedes learn the English "w" sound which does not exist in Swedish and then concentrate so hard on getting it right, that the words that should have an initial "v" sound also get the "w" sound. I hope you know what I mean.

It is definitely an "s" sound in "seu".

The exact word in English for "reu" is "or" ("eller" in Swedish). It is also used as a final particle in Thai questions. In other words, asking somebody how they are can be said both "sabaai dii mai (khrap)" and "sabaai dii reu (khrap)".

gin khanom reu waa kin khaaw

eat snacks or (clause introducer) eat rice

Are you having snacks or proper food (rice)?

gin khanom reu?

Are you eating snacks?

your a pure specialist....I bet your even better than thai... :o

yea....maid is from Galasin.....not much of any education...anyhow, when she say the "or"....it sounds rúu......again, something I can live with....and the pen in the month for sureisn´t needed....anyhow, as I said above "you may even beat the thai"

thanks for your clarifications....very spot on and very helpful

im in the process of learning a new concept here.....maid told me....see if you can get it..it goes something like:

puing-kai-doa

hint: it has something to do with woman staying over night in ones baan but not during daytime :D:o

im in the process of learning a new concept here.....maid told me....see if you can get it..it goes something like:

puing-kai-doa

hint: it has something to do with woman staying over night in ones baan but not during daytime   :D  :o

I see from your thread on General Topics that you're looking for a woman aged between 28-30, keep those condoms on Michael because puing-kai-doa is ผู้หญิงขายตัว prostitute, how much did you pay?

Edited by bannork

:D

puing-kai-doa

hint: it has something to do with woman staying over night in ones baan but not during daytime   :D  :o

I see from your thread on General Topics that you're looking for a woman aged between 28-30, keep those condoms on Michael because puing-kai-doa is ผู้หญิงขายตัว prostitute, how much did you pay?

have not take any one with me as of yet....just told her it may happen I take a woman with me for a night or so......there has been girls givinbg me phone numbers, dont think they are prostitutes though......anyhow, from the description from me to my "maid" (shes not really as she lives for free in my house and clean, wash, fixing food so on for free).....she ofcource thinking prostitutes....nevertheless, I DO believe its possible to take a woman home for a night without the need to pay her.....you can do that basically everywhere else in the world, cant you