Learning To Drive

doctormann

My GF (Thai national) wants to learn how to drive a car.

Any suggestions on a good, preferably inexpensive, driving school in Pattaya?

Also, does she need a 'provisional' driving licence while learning. If so, how does she get one? I know that she will need to take a test before getting a proper licence and I know how to do that.

Cheers

DM :o

Is this correct? A Thai passing the driving test in Thailand, is legal to drive in the "UK" for 12 months.

They have to get an International Drivers Licence available only from The Dept. of Land Transport in Bangkok opposite the Chatachuk weekend market. If they carry this with their thai license they can drive in a foreign country for 12 months.

I dont know of any country where a thai license can be converted to a local license.

Is this correct? A Thai passing the driving test in Thailand, is legal to drive in the "UK" for 12 months.

This is correct.

Anyone living outside the Uk who is temporary in the UK is permitted to drive a motor vehicle subject to having:-

A conventional national driving permit, otherwise known as an international driving permit...or a domestic driving permit issued in a country outside the UK.

Driving is permitted during a period of 12 months from the date of the last entry into the UK. Only motor vehicles as stipulated on their driving document can be driven. :o

My GF (Thai national) wants to learn how to drive a car.

Any suggestions on a good, preferably inexpensive, driving school in Pattaya?

Also, does she need a 'provisional' driving licence while learning.  If so, how does she get one?  I know that she will need to take a test before getting a proper licence and I know how to do that.

Cheers

DM  :o

DM,

Yes 'unbeleivable' as it may seem , but there is such a thing as a provisional license or what we call in oz a learners permit where the driver must be accompanied by a person with a full thai drivers license whilst driving. Most thais however just practise their driving illegally without any type of license although i would not reccomend this. It could be very expensive in the case of an accident.

I would assume that you would get this provisional license from the Dept. of Land Transport Office in the province that your house registration is in.

Also i believe there are some driving schools in Naklua. Sory i dont know exact location.

From my experience its a very scary sight to see a thai behind the wheel for the first time. The just have no idea about any controlls in the vehicle. A driving school is definately the best option.

I paid for my previous gf to have lessons opposite Foodland last year.I can't remember the cost,about 3000 baht for 10 hours I think.

According to my then gf the instructor was about 23 years old and spent the whole time on the phone to his gf or trying to chat my gf up. :o

After 3 lessons he said it would be a good idea for her to use the car that I had bought for her, which I suppose there was some logic in.

Then I found out she was driving on her own across Pattaya,having her lesson and then he let her drive home again on her own. :D

After the 10 hours were up she decided that as she was as good as any other driver on the road so refused any more lessons.

Getting in a car with her was scarier than any white knuckle rollercoaster ride that I've tried.

We split up soon after and she kept the car. About 2 weeks later she smashed into a tree ,drunk as a skunk at 8 in the morning. :D

Som Nom Nar !

I am not sure that there are any Dual Control cars in Thailand,

or even a good driving school.

There isn't even a Learners Licence as far as I can tell.

You learn to drive without a licence (and no insurance either!!)

I taught my boys to drive.

There isn't even a Learners Licence as far as I can tell.

You learn to drive without a licence (and no insurance either!!)

The question of insurance is a bit of a worry. Am I to assume that the GF cannot be covered by my insurance until she has passed her driving test? If so, she will not be driving my car until then, that's for sure! :o

I paid for my previous gf to have lessons opposite Foodland last year.I can't remember the cost,about 3000 baht for 10 hours I think.

According to my then gf the instructor was about 23 years old and spent the whole time on the phone to his gf or trying to chat my gf up. :o

After 3 lessons he said it would be a good idea for her to use the car that I had bought for her, which I suppose there was some logic in.

Then I found out she was driving on her own across Pattaya,having her lesson and then he let her drive home again on her own. :D

After the 10 hours were up she decided that as she was as good as any other driver on the road so refused any more lessons.

Getting in a car with her was scarier than any white knuckle rollercoaster ride that I've tried.

We split up soon after and she kept the car. About 2 weeks later she smashed into a tree ,drunk as a skunk at 8 in the morning. :D

Som Nom Nar !

And no doubt it was all the farang fault "if you not give me car, I could not have crashed it when I got pissed up" Oh and no doubt she looked to you to cover her hospital bills?????

Ah life in Thailand.